Demolition of Ballinard Hotel proposed

  • Grant E. L. Buttars
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2001
      Today's Courier (6th November) carried a story stating that the
      current owners of the Broughty/West Ferry hotel were applying for
      permission to demolish it and redevelop the site. The local planning
      department do not appear to have any objections.

      Built in the 2nd half of the 19th century, this was once the home of
      Watson the Dundee whisky distiller whose Seagate bond was destroyed in
      a spectacular fire in the early 20th century.

      The Ballinard has been a hotel for over 50 years during which time it
      has been a popular venue for weddings and other family events. The
      logical option - to turn it into flats and build in the grounds is not
      mentioned in the article. There may be reasons whay such a conversion
      is not feasible but no such case is made.

      As we have lost quite a number of the Broughty Ferry 'big hooses' over
      the years, I for one would not like to lose this one.

      Best wishes,