Re: [dundee-history] Passenger ships to North America

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
      At 09:35 PM 14/08/2001 -0400, Barbara wrote:
      >Hi Listers...I need help, suggestions or whatever...perhaps there's some-
      >one out there who has already solved the problem...but if not, any/all
      >ideas greatly appreciated...
      > Barbara, be a pal, and tell us where you Have looked first of all.
      > There are stacks of places which list ship sailings, yes even from
      > Glasgow, Leith, and dear old Dundee. For starters, take a look at our
      > bookmarks - "World Wide Resources" - Immigrant Ship Transcribers, and
      > Cyndis list. They will give you some initial food for thought!!

      Jimmie
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 2001
        At 09:35 PM 14/08/2001 -0400, Barbara wrote:
        >Hi Listers...I need help, suggestions or whatever...perhaps there's some-
        >one out there who has already solved the problem...

        Sorry Barbara, and everyone else. The Bookmarks I mentioned are in the Tay
        Valley Bridges home page, not the Dundee-History Page. Oops !

        Jimmie
      • David Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2001
          I have seen your email and would have thought that Glasgow would have been a
          more likely place to sail from for north America.

          David Anderson
        • adrian.gray@pharm.ox.ac.uk
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 2001
            Dear Barbara,

            There is a mailing list called The Ships List which covers just the
            sort of thing you are after. Unfortunately I no longer have it's
            address (it wasn't what I was looking for). However I found it whilst
            doing a Google search (www.google.com, if you haven't encountered it
            previously) for Loch Line. You may have to read through a few pages
            of hits first as I was looking for ships, but it might be just what
            you are looking for.

            Good luck!

            Adrian

            --- In dundee-history@y..., Meille3@a... wrote:
            > Hi Listers...I need help, suggestions or whatever...perhaps there's
            some-
            > one out there who has already solved the problem...but if not,
            any/all
            > ideas greatly appreciated...
            > Sometime between Feb., 1863 and May, 1865 my GGP Alex and Mary
            Ann
            > Gamble, almost newborn daughter Elizabeth and M.A.'s
            > parents William and Eliza (Elizabeth?) Irwin Neill left Dundee for
            > North America. The second date above is confirmed by birth of next
            > child, Alexander C. Gamble in Albany, N.Y. in May, 1865.
            > In looking through possible ships' lists, I don't find any
            reference to
            > ships leaving from Scotland! Is it possible that they would have
            been
            > listed as leaving from Great Britain? Could they have been
            considered
            > "British" for purposes of immigrtion to U.S. According to fairly
            well
            > established findings, all were born in Ireland (Armagh &/or Cavan).
            > Alex and his parents are well documented as having left Co. Cavan in
            > 1841 for Dundee. The Neills were, as far as I've been able to
            discover,
            > from Armagh.
            > Were there actually ships leaving Dundee for N.A.? If so,
            does
            > SKS possibly have the names of the ships....I also haven't seen any
            ship
            > listings from "England" or "Great Britian"....or am I just looking
            in the
            > wrong place?
            > The NARA microfilms for the above dates total 22!! If
            anyone out
            > there is able to help me it certainly would be appreciated. The
            other
            > question I have is "If, in fact, they were all born in Ireland, but
            emmi-
            > grated to Scotland (for whatever reason) would they have, at least
            for
            > travel purposes been listed as Scotish nationals?
            > An interesting aside is that on Mary Ann and Alex's death
            certifi-
            > cates (Kittson Co., Minnesota, USA) both are listed as having been
            born in
            > Scotand! Don't know who furnished the information but most
            > likely it would have been one or more of the surviving
            children......
            > This has turned out to be much longer than anticiapted, but
            I would