Re: [dundee-history] Passenger ships to North America

  • Meille3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
      Hi Listers...I need help, suggestions or whatever...perhaps there's some-
      one out there who has already solved the problem...but if not, any/all
      ideas greatly appreciated...
      Sometime between Feb., 1863 and May, 1865 my GGP Alex and Mary Ann
      Gamble, almost newborn daughter Elizabeth and M.A.'s
      parents William and Eliza (Elizabeth?) Irwin Neill left Dundee for
      North America. The second date above is confirmed by birth of next
      child, Alexander C. Gamble in Albany, N.Y. in May, 1865.
      In looking through possible ships' lists, I don't find any reference to
      ships leaving from Scotland! Is it possible that they would have been
      listed as leaving from Great Britain? Could they have been considered
      "British" for purposes of immigrtion to U.S. According to fairly well
      established findings, all were born in Ireland (Armagh &/or Cavan).
      Alex and his parents are well documented as having left Co. Cavan in
      1841 for Dundee. The Neills were, as far as I've been able to discover,
      from Armagh.
      Were there actually ships leaving Dundee for N.A.? If so, does
      SKS possibly have the names of the ships....I also haven't seen any ship
      listings from "England" or "Great Britian"....or am I just looking in the
      wrong place?
      The NARA microfilms for the above dates total 22!! If anyone out
      there is able to help me it certainly would be appreciated. The other
      question I have is "If, in fact, they were all born in Ireland, but emmi-
      grated to Scotland (for whatever reason) would they have, at least for
      travel purposes been listed as Scotish nationals?
      An interesting aside is that on Mary Ann and Alex's death certifi-
      cates (Kittson Co., Minnesota, USA) both are listed as having been born in
      Scotand! Don't know who furnished the information but most
      likely it would have been one or more of the surviving children......
      This has turned out to be much longer than anticiapted, but I would
      truly appreciate any help!! Sincerely, Barbara
      Barbara Gamble Kennedy
      Meille3@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
        At 09:35 PM 14/08/2001 -0400, Barbara wrote:
        >Hi Listers...I need help, suggestions or whatever...perhaps there's some-
        >one out there who has already solved the problem...but if not, any/all
        >ideas greatly appreciated...
        > Barbara, be a pal, and tell us where you Have looked first of all.
        > There are stacks of places which list ship sailings, yes even from
        > Glasgow, Leith, and dear old Dundee. For starters, take a look at our
        > bookmarks - "World Wide Resources" - Immigrant Ship Transcribers, and
        > Cyndis list. They will give you some initial food for thought!!

        Jimmie
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2001
          At 09:35 PM 14/08/2001 -0400, Barbara wrote:
          >Hi Listers...I need help, suggestions or whatever...perhaps there's some-
          >one out there who has already solved the problem...

          Sorry Barbara, and everyone else. The Bookmarks I mentioned are in the Tay
          Valley Bridges home page, not the Dundee-History Page. Oops !

          Jimmie
        • David Anderson
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 2001
            I have seen your email and would have thought that Glasgow would have been a
            more likely place to sail from for north America.

            David Anderson
          • adrian.gray@pharm.ox.ac.uk
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 20, 2001
              Dear Barbara,

              There is a mailing list called The Ships List which covers just the
              sort of thing you are after. Unfortunately I no longer have it's
              address (it wasn't what I was looking for). However I found it whilst
              doing a Google search (www.google.com, if you haven't encountered it
              previously) for Loch Line. You may have to read through a few pages
              of hits first as I was looking for ships, but it might be just what
              you are looking for.

              Good luck!

              Adrian