Re: RE HOSPITAL

  • Jim Phillip
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2001
      After doing a bit of Web research I think there may be two
      "hospitals" involved here .

      The old "maternity" hospital is still owned by the Salvation Army and
      is a shelter for the homeless see

      http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/orgs/orx0488.htm

      Is there another actually owned by the Council?

      Jim Phillip

      --- In dundee-history@y..., "Grant E. L. Buttars" <G.Buttars@t...>
      wrote:
      > I was born in Clement Park (Clement Park nuring home as it was
      called
      > then) in 1968. It was the former home of James Cox. It is the
      only
      > Cox mansion to survive and is owned by the Social Work dept of
      Dundee
      > City council I think. I don't think it would ever have been
      referred
      > to as a maternity hospital. By the 60s, the main maternity
      hospital
      > seems to have been Maryfield, based on where many of my
      > comtemporaries wer born.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Grant Buttars
      >
      > --- In dundee-history@y..., "Jim Phillip" <jimphil@s...> wrote:
      > > The main maternity hospital around that time was Clement Park
      > > Maternity Hospital. I was born there in 1940 and my sister in
      1946.
      > > believe that it was run (or supported by) the Salvation Army. My
      > > birth certificate simply says Dundee Maternity Hospital as well.
      > >
      > > I think it was on Clement Park Road or Drive (near Cox's Stack).
      > >
      > > No idea if it is still there.
      > >
      > > Jim Phillip
      > >
      > > --- In dundee-history@y..., kenmore35@y... wrote:
      > > > Hi,
      > > > I wonder if someone as the answer to this i was born in
      Dundee
      > > 1936
      > > > and on my birth certificate it list as place of birth Maternity
      > > > Hospital Dundee was that part of the DRI or some other Hospital
      > > also
      > > > if i could impose one more I was Baptised St Clements Steeple
      > > Church
      > > > By the Rev William Locke who also married me can any one tell
      me
      > > were
      > > > i can find some more info on the Church and Minister.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks Jeannie
    • Grant E. L. Buttars
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2001
        My mistake Jim,

        I knew a girl a few years ago now who had been taken into care and
        placed there as a child, and it's through her that I was given the
        false impression that the place was run by the Council. I think I
        possibly misunderstood what she told me at the time. It's certainly
        had a variety of uses. I remember picking up a disco deck from there
        which was being borrowed for a benefit gig of some sort. That was in
        the late 80s and it was still some type of young persons/childrens
        home I think then.

        I'd certainly be interested to hear more from anyone else with
        knowledge of my place of birth.

      • kenmore35@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 14, 2001
          I would like to thank everyone who helped me on those questions . I
          was wondering if anyone has read the book Witches Blood by William
          Blain its about the ENGLISH FAMILY ofDUNDEE from 1658 thru to the
          1900 it has a lots of interesting info on Dundee thru that period I
          recomended .

          Jeannie. Idaho USA
        • Grant E. L. Buttars
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14, 2001
            I knew the author. My father was friendly with one of his sons when
            they were young.

            Witches Blood is good but it is important to remember that it is
            fiction. William Blain was well reead in Dundee history and drew on
            it heavily but he was writing a story.

            Regards,

            Grant Buttars

            --- In dundee-history@y..., kenmore35@y... wrote:
            > I would like to thank everyone who helped me on those questions .
            > was wondering if anyone has read the book Witches Blood by William
            > Blain its about the ENGLISH FAMILY ofDUNDEE from 1658 thru to the
            > 1900 it has a lots of interesting info on Dundee thru that period I
            > recomended .
            >
            > Jeannie. Idaho USA
          • Doon The Toon
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 15, 2001
              Hi kenmore35@.... You said:-

              >I was Baptised St Clements Steeple Church
              >By the Rev William Locke who also married me can any one tell me were
              >i can find some more info on the Church and Minister.

              I believe the three City Churches were (from east to west) St. Mary's,
              Old St. Paul's & St. David's and St. Clement's. St. David's was
              originally in the building which housed the JM Ballroom/Barracuda/Coconut
              Grove. I'm not sure where the original "Old St. Paul's" was.

              OSP&SD latterly became the Mary Slessor Centre.

              Doon.

              * For Dundonians + www.appleonline.net/doonthetoon + everywhere!*