[dundee-history] The Hawkhill, Dundee

  • jimjar@ozemail.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 1999
      To start the ball rolling Monica. Many others will be able to add to these few words.

      The Hawkhill ran westwards from the west end of Overgate, at the West Port, out to the Sinderins, where it was joined by the more recent Perth Road.
      Hawkhill was the traditional route westward towards Perth from the 1490s, if I remember correctly ! The Meadows in Dundee were set apart for archery, and for drying washing latterly, the Hawkhill is likely to have been reserved for hawking. It was certainly where many tenement buildings were erected in the early 1800s, to house the workers for the nearby flax and jute spinning and weaving factories. A pretty bleak area, with not much to commend it!

      There were inumerable Closes or Pends running off the Hawkhill giving access to yet more tenement blocks, all with outside stairs, little sanitation, and mostly of one or two bedrooms. All the social life took place on the lands, or on the ground below, where the washing was hung out.

      Chalmers Territorial Free Church was off the Hawkhill up Hunter St , to the North.St Mary Magdalen's Episcopal Church was up Blinshall St, again on the north side. Inevitably there was a pub - The "Globe Bar" at the West Port.

      It was a real mixture of inner city slum dwellings, sandwiched between factories, ot timber yards, hopefully long since pulled down, and replaced.

      There is much more to add, Monica, but maybe you get the picture. Pretty dreary! Hopefully others can add sharper bits of info for you !

      Jim R Eumundi, Qld., Oz.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/dundee-history
    • Monica Bennett
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 1999
        Dear Jim,
        I had a feeling it would be very bad. I know that my Campbells,
        unlike most, were in dire straights and lived a poverty stricken lifestyle.
        Your words have made our successes in this modern world seem so much
        clearer! Thank you - Monica