730New member,Dundee questions

  • patA41@aol.com
    Feb 3, 2001
      I am new to this group & have been enjoying the photos & other
      material in the files, as well as reading past messages. I`ve already
      learned much about Dundee. I tried to post yesterday while I was
      still a 'pending' member. That message must have been lost in
      the "ether",so I will try again!

      My grandfather,George Reid Wilson,was born in Dundee in 1890 & left
      for Canada in 1912. Up until the late 1950`s I corresponded with his
      sister,May Wilson Smart, in Dundee. Being a child,I was not
      interested in what they had to say about Dundee,though I know my
      grandfather loved his home very much.( I was more interested in the
      shortbread & marmalade my aunt sent!) I hope to remedy my ignorance
      through this group! I have several questions which have come to mind
      as I have been doing a genealogy of the Wilsons & Reids.
      1. My grandfather was born at 26 Union Pl. Can anyone tell me where
      this street was located & what type of housing was there in 1890?
      What school would a child living there then have attended?
      2. My greatgrandparents lived at 349 Blackness Rd. from about 1920
      to the mid 1930`s. In what section of Dundee was this street located
      & was it near Corso St? ( my aunt lived at #17 Corso)
      3. My Reid family lived in Highland Close,Overgate in the 1860`s.
      What were living conditions like there at that time?
      4. My grandfather`s greatgrandfather was an "earthen ware dealer" in
      the (approx.) 1830`s. Would he have had a shop in the city? Also,
      what exactly did a "calendar worker" do?

      My thanks to anyone who can help me with these questions.
      Pat Rodgers,Alden,NY,US
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic