3041RE: [dundee-history] Stovies

    Oct 20 1:06 PM
      If you put the onions in with butter or olive oil (if you want to be healthier), they will turn brown as they carmelize.  Then you can put in the taties.  See, our moms and grans knew how to do gourmet cooking before there was a word for it.  All I know is that when people complain about British cooking, I tell them "you have never had British cooking".

      Starve the Fear; Feed the Faith!

      To: dundee-history@yahoogroups.com
      From: smithd11220@...
      Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 08:36:20 -0700
      Subject: RE: Re: [dundee-history] Stovies

      The browning of stovies came from colouring the onions well in the beef dripping before the diced spuds and water went into the saucepan - and that's how we do them to this day.  My late Ma's recipe ends 'do not leave kitchen because burnt stovies no good'.  So in our house, it took an Essex girl to get them right.

      ---In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, <dundee-history@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I didn't know that there were "white" and "brown" stovies but from what you say, I must have had the brown, as they were cooked from the solidified dripping from a roast, which always had a gravy on the top. Thanks to all; I'm to have a go, this Saturday!
      Edmund R