3032Stovies

  • chris826911
    Oct 8, 2013
      Edmund, you asked about stovies. I think most Scots have had stovies at one time or another, and I have fond memories of them, although I haven't made them for years. It is possible you weren't mistaken when you saw Goodfellow and Stevens advertising them, a lot of bakers include them in their cafes or carry out sections. It is Frosts in Montrose that make them, but only in the winter months. As for how you make them, it is important to remember that there are brown stovies and white stovies.

      I have only ever made white stovies and the only time I ever had brown stovies they reminded me of Irish Stew. To make white stovies you need a good blob of dripping (hard to get nowadays), If you can't get dripping, lard is the next best thing, and if you're really stuck use cooking oil if you have to. Okay, melt the dripping in a pot. Add onions (a lot), I usually put in 2 or 3 very large ones. Brown the onions, add peeled and sliced potatoes, enough for 3 or 4 servings (remember they shrink in the cooking). Give the mixture a good stir and add boiling water, but only enough to stop the potatoes sticking to the bottom of the pan. If you put too much in you'll land up with slops or soup. You shouldn't really be able to see the water. Cook over a low heat stirring every few minutes, if you think the water has dried up put in one or two drops more (notice I said drops not spoonfuls). It is ready when the potatoes resemble mush, but if it's wet mush you've used too much water. Serve with slices of corned beef and a bannock or oatcake. Some people like to put the corned beef in the pot with the potatoes and onion, and some folks put in the remains of the weekend roast beef. I like mine just potatoes and onion.

      Our mums used to make stovies to eek out the week's meat ration and use up leftovers.

      Chris Longuir

      http://www.chrislongmuir.co.uk
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic