2526[dundee-history] Re: Unicorn in drydock

  • Michael Bolik
    Aug 3, 2007
      That is a cool story about the Victoria Arch - though I suppose coming across your car damaged like that wasn't quite so cool at the time!

      We don't have the photograph of the aftermath, but we do have a slide taken at the time the arch was being demolished. I am attaching a smaller version to this message.

      Michael

      Michael Bolik
      Assistant Archivist
      Archive Services
      University of Dundee
      Dundee DD1 4HN
      tel. +44 (0)1382 384095
      fax. +44 (0)1382 385523
      www.dundee.ac.uk/archives
      ICA/SUV 2007 Conference, Dundee, Scotland:
      www.dundee.ac.uk/archives/SUV2007

      >>> "grahamkuk" <graham.kennedy@...> 02/08/2007 20:47 >>>
      Thanks to everyone for the responses I received and the interest shown.
      I wasn't aware that Unicorn was in drydock in 1962 - I know about 1972
      because I was there and am still looking for the photos I took.

      I also came across some photos of the Victoria Arch and it reminded me
      of the incident that happened when it was being demolished - the big
      steel flagpole was tipped off the top by the workmen and it hit the
      ground then bounced straight over the site boundary fence and landed in
      the public car park next door flattening three cars - one of these
      belonged to my Dad and luckily he was in Edinburgh that day and he
      arrived back in the evening to see oor wee Mini-van with some seriously
      modified bodywork. Dad managed to drive it home and drove me and my
      older brother to Dens Road school the next day. Jings those were the
      days, we thought we were heroes turning up to school in the car that
      had been on the front page of the Tullie the night before.

      Now has anyone got that photo ???

      Thanks everyone, Graham

      > Hi Jim,
      > I remember when the Unicorn was moved in 1962, It was put in dry
      dock to be inspected as it was thought that extensive repairs were
      going to be required. What they found was that the keel and her boards
      were as sound as the day she was built
      > Dave

      Please remember to bookmark our Home Page. Those with Yahoo IDs will be able to view our Archives of Messages,Files, and Bookmarks. Go to:

      Yahoo! Groups Links