2422Re: Blackness address

  • parkneuk1940
    Dec 3, 2006
      Hello Ruth,

      Check http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/photodb/index.html

      Page 50 shows some pictures of Old Hawkhill which ran parallel to
      Blackness Road, and page 118 pictures of Westport.

      The tenement housing would have been much the same as in these
      photos.

      Out of curiosity I checked the 1881 census for your no 80 and there
      appeared to be around 50 families at that address, which sounds as if
      there was may also have been a back land. Another tenement perhaps
      entered through a pend or close. So fairly close packed living
      confitions.

      I was brought up in Annfield Road in a but and ben, (room and
      kitchen, come living room, come bedroom) tenement, toilet out the
      back, just like the ones in the photos.

      Best wishes,
      Kath.

      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "jutemill05" <jutemill05@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello everyone.
      > My relatives lived at 80 Blackness Road in Dundee for many years.
      > I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that address still
      exists.
      > If it does, what intersection is it closest to?
      > If it doesn't exist anymore, would anyone know what kind of
      dwelling
      > it would have been in the early 1930's?
      > I have tried google maps, but it will only give me the street, not
      the
      > specific address.
      > Thank you. Any help is much appreciated
      > Ruth