2217Re: [dundee-history] Re: Lord Roberts Memorial Workshop

    May 1, 2005
      At 05:05 AM 2/05/2005, Grant wrote:
      >Jim,
      >
      >It was my great uncle, Dave Buttars, who was the dentist. His
      >pracice was at the east corner of the Hilltown & Victoria Rd.
      >
      >Lord Roberts were at the bottom of Scott Street until the late 1980s

      Hi Grant & Jim,

      Whenever the late Queen Mother visited Dundee in the years gone by, she
      always visited the Lord Robert's Workshop, and made a purchase.
      She was a great supporter of this venture which helped returned ex-service
      men, who had been wounded in action.

      Lord Roberts won the Victoria Cross for bravery in South Africa in the mid
      1850s.

      A quick visit to http://www.thebrushfactory.com will fill in some gaps in
      our knowledge. As Grant mentions, the Edinburgh venture seems to be the
      last to bear this name - SSAFA seem now to be the guiding hand behind such
      ventures elsewhere.

      Jim R, Peregian Springs, Qld., Oz.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic