2067Re: World War 2 in Dundee

  • anne_ide2003
    Oct 11, 2004
      --- In dundee-history@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Anderson"
      <Xantheand@a...> wrote:
      > There were certainly evacuees sent to Dundee from London, as
      one ,Morris, was boarded with my great-uncle and aunt. They kept in
      touch and, when my aunt died in the '80s, Morris came up from London
      to attend the funeral, when I met him for the first time.
      As regards Dundee children being evacuated, there are several
      pictures from DC Thomson's archives showing children lined up in
      Kings Road, with suitcases and gas masks, ready to go.The Angus
      countryside was certainly a popular destination.
      > Hi Listers
      > My son is doing World War II at school and wanted to know if the
      > children in Dundee were evacuated and if so,where.
      > I can remember my mother telling me how she and a friend were
      > walking down a street in Arbroath (or possibly Arbirlot) and a
      > shopkeeper dragged them out of the way and gave them ice cream to
      > help them get over the shock, but otherwise her war memories seem
      > have consisted almost entirely of dancing with Polish officers.
      > Anyway if anyone can help me with this query I'd be very grateful.
      > Cheers
      > Sue
      > Harrow, England
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic