Weekend Movie!

  • Daniel Gow
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'd like to extend an open invitation to everyone for a movie day/night next weekend (27th-28th), in an effort to keep to the agreement we made to get together other times of the year then November!

      Becky and I figured that the Tyson's Corner AMC 16  was the best centrally located theatre for everyone, but I don't think either of us have been there before so if someone has and it's a dive, we can find another one...

      And the movie suggestions are:

      Pan's Labyrinth

      ...or if that's too dark/graphic and Spanish-with-English-Subtitles doesn't thrill you...

      The Pursuit of Happyness

      ...which I can personally attest to being an excellent movie.  I figured we'd leave it to an open vote; Becky and I would be happy to see either.

      If this coming weekend doesn't work out for the majority, next weekend (3rd-4th) works too.

      Thanks!
      Dan
    • angstschrei
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2007
        I'm up for either weekend, and either movie, although Pan's Labyrinth
        was on my to see list anyways :) But really, any movie, any time, any
        theater. I'm cool, just looking for an excuse to catch up with the
        nano group. Hopefully we can get some details hammered out soon :)

        -Kristin
        --- In dulles_nanowrimo@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Gow" <danielgow@...>

        <http://www.fandango.com/TheaterPage.aspx?date=&mid=101635&location=2210\
        > 2&tid=AATSO> was the best centrally located theatre for everyone, but
        > I don't think either of us have been there before so if someone has and
        > it's a dive, we can find another one...
        >
        > And the movie suggestions are:
        >
        > Pan's Labyrinth <http://www.panslabyrinth.com/>
        >
        > ...or if that's too dark/graphic and Spanish-with-English-Subtitles
        > doesn't thrill you...
        >
        > The Pursuit of Happyness
        > <http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thepursuitofhappyness/>
        >
        > ...which I can personally attest to being an excellent movie. I figured
        > we'd leave it to an open vote; Becky and I would be happy to see either.
        >
        > If this coming weekend doesn't work out for the majority, next weekend
        > (3rd-4th) works too.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Dan

      • Daniel Gow
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 22, 2007

          Sorry Kristin but your response was far too accepting; you have to at least disagree on the weekend or require a specific timeframe for the movie!  How can we possibly make it take all week to figure out the details if everyone follows your lead and is so easy about it? :)

          And I think combining movie-and-party is a cool idea.  If there’s a 4-ish movie time (both are just shy of 2 hours long) that would work out well.

          Dan.

        • Mary R.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 25, 2007
            Hey!

            Nobody had responded so I thought I would!

            Tyson's Corner is a nice movie theatre, it's just really expensive and on Saturday's full of people.  I don't MIND it, esp. since it's right across the street from where I work.  I just thought I'd throw that caution out there.

            I know a lot of people don't like the Reston Multiplex in the town center, but I think it's a perfectly good theatre and they have cheaper ticket prices.  Plus, they're closer to Cyn's house for easier transition to party-time : )  But Tyson's is only about 20 minutes away (maybe a half hour on a Saturday afternoon).

            Pan's Labyrinth is showing at 2:25 and 4:50 on Saturday at Reston, but I don't know when their matinee prices end.  At Tyson's the best show would be the 1:50, because 4:40 would be cutting it close.

            Pursuit of Happyness has a 3:50 show at Reston.  Pursuit of Happyness is also 1:45 because the next show would be pretty late.

            And since nobody has responded, I thought I'd post directions to Cyn's place, but she'll have to flesh out some details like her apartment number, since I can never remember it.

            From points West of Reston (Sterling, etc.) you would just take 7 until it joins with Fairfax County Parkway.  Then turn left onto North Shore Drive, and follow it for a good long distance.  You'll find a left hand turn into a place called North Point Plaza (I'm pretty sure it's a plaza) and you'll want to turn there and go straight.  You'll be behind the shopping center/grocery store, and if you hit Reston Parkway you've gone one turn too far.

            From points East of Reston (Tyson's, Mclean) I'm a little fuzzier on what way would be best.  I think taking 7 until Baron Cameron would be the right choice, that would be a left at a Shell station.  Then follow Baron Cameron for a while until you get to Reston Parkway, then take a right at that light (at the Home Depot).  Follow to the third stop light, which is North Shore Drive.  Then you'll want to turn left at that light, and take the first right.  At this point you are behind the shopping center.

            After you're behind the shopping center: continue straight until you see the road go two ways, the left path goes into North Point Villas (condos) or off to the right is a little set of apartment buildings.  You'll pull in there, and Cyn's building is the second one on the right as you come in.  It's on the first floor, the first one on the right, but again, she'll have to give you the apartment number.

            I really hope some people can make it, since all my other friends are begging off for various reasons : ( And I miss my NaNoers!

            Hope to see you guys soon!  Let me know if you want to do the movie and when, and I'll drag Cyn with me.  I have a slight preference towards Pan's Labyrinth because it looks more my style.

            Meiran
          • Rebecca
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 26, 2007
              I think Yahoo's mad at me. I never get any of the new posts e-mailed
              to me anymore. Oops...

              I'm up for seeing the movie at the Reston Multiplex - that'll be more
              accessible than Tyson's anyway, right? But which time and what movie?
              Or what time and which movie? Hee... Don't mind me. Long work week.

              And I'll try and bring something baked if I get a free hour or two
              tomorrow in which to bake it. If we meet for the movie, are we all
              meeting at the movie or at Cyn's place first?

              Hope to see y'all tomorrow...!

              Rebecca

              --- In dulles_nanowrimo@yahoogroups.com, "Mary R." <meiran@...> wrote:

              > Hey!
              >
              > Nobody had responded so I thought I would!
              >
              > Tyson's Corner is a nice movie theatre, it's just really expensive
              and on
              > Saturday's full of people. I don't MIND it, esp. since it's right
              across
              > the street from where I work. I just thought I'd throw that
              caution out
              > there.
              >
              > I know a lot of people don't like the Reston Multiplex in the town
              center,
              > but I think it's a perfectly good theatre and they have cheaper
              ticket
              > prices. Plus, they're closer to Cyn's house for easier transition
              > party-time : ) But Tyson's is only about 20 minutes away (maybe a
              half hour
              > on a Saturday afternoon).
              >
              > Pan's Labyrinth is showing at 2:25 and 4:50 on Saturday at Reston,
              but I
              > don't know when their matinee prices end. At Tyson's the best show
              would be
              > the 1:50, because 4:40 would be cutting it close.
              >
              > Pursuit of Happyness has a 3:50 show at Reston. Pursuit of
              Happyness is
              > also 1:45 because the next show would be pretty late.
              >
              > And since nobody has responded, I thought I'd post directions to
              Cyn's
              > place, but she'll have to flesh out some details like her apartment
              number,
              > since I can never remember it.
              >
              > From points West of Reston (Sterling, etc.) you would just take 7
              until it
              > joins with Fairfax County Parkway. Then turn left onto North Shore
              Drive,
              > and follow it for a good long distance. You'll find a left hand
              turn into a
              > place called North Point Plaza (I'm pretty sure it's a plaza) and
              you'll
              > want to turn there and go straight. You'll be behind the shopping
              > center/grocery store, and if you hit Reston Parkway you've gone one
              turn too
              > far.
              >
              > From points East of Reston (Tyson's, Mclean) I'm a little fuzzier
              on what
              > way would be best. I think taking 7 until Baron Cameron would be
              the right
              > choice, that would be a left at a Shell station. Then follow Baron
              Cameron
              > for a while until you get to Reston Parkway, then take a right at
              that light
              > (at the Home Depot). Follow to the third stop light, which is
              North Shore
              > Drive. Then you'll want to turn left at that light, and take the
              first
              > right. At this point you are behind the shopping center.
              >
              > After you're behind the shopping center: continue straight until
              you see the
              > road go two ways, the left path goes into North Point Villas
              (condos) or off
              > to the right is a little set of apartment buildings. You'll pull
              in there,
              > and Cyn's building is the second one on the right as you come in.
              It's on
              > the first floor, the first one on the right, but again, she'll have
              to give
              > you the apartment number.
              >
              > I really hope some people can make it, since all my other friends
              are
              > begging off for various reasons : ( And I miss my NaNoers!
              >
              > Hope to see you guys soon! Let me know if you want to do the movie
              and
              > when, and I'll drag Cyn with me. I have a slight preference
              towards Pan's
              > Labyrinth because it looks more my style.
              >
              > Meiran

            • Cyn
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 26, 2007
                Pan's Labyrinth is 2:25 at the Reston Multiplex.  That's my vote!

                Wheee for baked goods!  I think Meiran and I are going to make peanut butter cookies and brownies.  The store had no plain chocolate chip cookies.  But baked goods are good so bring whatever!  I won't complain.

                I figured we could just meet at the movies and then you can follow us back to the apt.  If people want to meet at my apt. first and possibly car pool so we don't take as many cars, that's fine with me too!  However people want to do it.  So some other people need to weight in on that one.  *grin*

                Bye now!

                Cyn

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 26, 2007
                  Ok, so I'm stupid and when I said I was free at anytime this weekend
                  I forgot I was back in school XD :hits self: So I have saturday
                  class and the earliest that I would be able to get out would be at
                  230, meaning I would miss a 1:50 movie.

                  However, I would love to come to this shindig that is being thrown
                  if that's cool ;) Also, let me know if there's anything I can bring.

                  -Kristin

                  --- In dulles_nanowrimo@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca" <rlgow@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  pull
                  > in there,
                  > > and Cyn's building is the second one on the right as you come
                  in.
                  > It's on
                  > > the first floor, the first one on the right, but again, she'll
                  have
                  > to give
                  > > you the apartment number.
                  > >
                  > > I really hope some people can make it, since all my other
                  friends
                  > are
                  > > begging off for various reasons : ( And I miss my NaNoers!
                  > >
                  > > Hope to see you guys soon! Let me know if you want to do the
                  movie
                  > and
                  > > when, and I'll drag Cyn with me. I have a slight preference
                  > towards Pan's
                  > > Labyrinth because it looks more my style.

                • Daniel Gow
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 28, 2007
                    You were saying...?  :D

                    --- In dulles_nanowrimo@yahoogroups.com, Cyn <paperflowers@...> wrote:

                    > Pan's Labyrinth is 2:25 at the Reston Multiplex. That's my vote!
                    >
                    > Wheee for baked goods! I think Meiran and I are going to make peanut butter
                    > cookies and brownies. The store had no plain chocolate chip cookies. But
                    > baked goods are good so bring whatever! I won't complain.
                    >
                    > I figured we could just meet at the movies and then you can follow us back
                    > to the apt. If people want to meet at my apt. first and possibly car pool
                    > so we don't take as many cars, that's fine with me too! However people want
                    > to do it. So some other people need to weight in on that one. *grin*
                    >
                    > Bye now!
                    >
                    > Cyn
                    >
                    > On 1/26/07, Rebecca rlgow@... wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I think Yahoo's mad at me. I never get any of the new posts e-mailed
                    > > to me anymore. Oops...
                    > >
                    > > I'm up for seeing the movie at the Reston Multiplex - that'll be more
                    > > accessible than Tyson's anyway, right? But which time and what movie?
                    > > Or what time and which movie? Hee... Don't mind me. Long work week.
                    > >
                    > > And I'll try and bring something baked if I get a free hour or two
                    > > tomorrow in which to bake it. If we meet for the movie, are we all
                    > > meeting at the movie or at Cyn's place first?
                    > >
                    > > Hope to see y'all tomorrow...!
                    > >
                    > > Rebecca

                  • Daniel Gow
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 19, 2007

                      Hi all,

                      I’m guessing I’m not the only one who noticed, but Ghost Rider came out this weekend, as did Bridge to Terabithia, and I recall both being on the ‘to see’ list.  Did anyone want to catch a movie this coming weekend?

                      Both Saturday and Sunday work fine for me, but if Sunday my preference would be afternoon, not evening.  Any time on Saturday is cool.

                      Thanks!
                      Dan.