D2 with unbalanced inserts?

  • Ken Newman
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2008
      Hello

      I haven't ever run into this problem, but a friend of mine was telling
      me that there is some sort of issue with using a D2 with unbalanced
      inserts, such as with consoles that use a single 3 conductor 1/4"
      connector for insert send & return.

      I'm wondering if this is a problem with the D2 not liking unbalanced
      signals, or if he simply had some cables that were wired with pin 3 as
      hot or something like that...

      Any light anyone can shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks!

      Ken Newman
      ken@...
    • Dan Dugan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2008
        >I haven't ever run into this problem, but a friend of mine was telling
        >me that there is some sort of issue with using a D2 with unbalanced
        >inserts, such as with consoles that use a single 3 conductor 1/4"
        >connector for insert send & return.
        >
        >I'm wondering if this is a problem with the D2 not liking unbalanced
        >signals, or if he simply had some cables that were wired with pin 3 as
        >hot or something like that...

        Now and then someone has a problem, usually with wiring, but so far
        as I know, unbalancing the D-2 is commonly done. That's how I test it
        in the inserts of my Yamaha here in the lab.

        Inputs are active balanced. Only pin 2 is driven on the output; pin 3
        is a passive source impedance balance network.

        -Dan