E-1 power supply for 240VAC ?

  • sconelet27
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2012
      Hello,

      I would like to use an E-1 in Europe and see in the manual that the power supply is 120V only. I have a step down transformer that will convert 240 to 120 as well as handle the frequency change. Anyone think I'll have issues with this set-up? Anyone know of a Euro power supply available?

      Thanks.

      Chris
    • Dan Dugan
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2012
        > I would like to use an E-1 in Europe and see in the manual that the power supply is 120V only. I have a step down transformer that will convert 240 to 120 as well as handle the frequency change. Anyone think I'll have issues with this set-up? Anyone know of a Euro power supply available?

        One that's good for international work is the Phihong PSC20R-180, takes 100 to 240 VAC and 50 or 60Hz. I think we sell it for $50 (I can check on Monday) but you can probably get it from catalog dealers.

        Be sure your "transformer" is really a transformer and not a resistive adaptor. I used a resistive adaptor on 220 once with a small power supply and when I came back to the hotel room it smelled like hot plastic!

        No transformer can change the power line frequency. The economical supply we ship with the E-1 says 60Hz. I would be afraid of overheating at 50 Hz.

        The E-1 itself is very flexible about its power input. 12 to 24 VDC or 9 to 18 VAC!

        -Dan
      • sconelet27
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2012
          Thank you, sir! Also, thanks for the call this morning - running ragged here and had no time to check this group.

          Chris