Re: conceiving the Model D-4

  • genesound
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2011
      Yes Dan, I have to agree.

      I find that when mixing panels with numerous participants on lavs, that once the gains and everything are set, I often am riding the weight controls and maybe mutes. This is because good speakers don't speak in one continuous monotone voice, the 20 others on stage are also making some noise on their mics while the current speaker is speaking, somebody elses's mic falls off, someone else is getting a drink of water, all in the middle of a bit of dialog that may tend to get quiet and delicate. Being able to keep a finger on the weight control helps, and having quick access to mutes too, but then you also have to be able to restore all that was done when the next speaker chimes in. Software controls operated via mouse or paged access just don't lend themselves to be nearly as quick for accurate reacting as a complete set of dedicated controls via control panels.

      --- In duganusers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Dugan <dan@...> wrote:

      > Dear Colleagues,
      >
      > In designing the Model D-4, intended to be the Dugan high-end product to replace both the D-2 and the D-3, we have come up with an important question that you can help us with.
      >
      > We plan to make control panel interfaces for iPad for sure and maybe even iPhone. We are tempted to leave it at that, because such a design could bring the price down significantly!
      >
      > The argument for a physical control panel is that an operator can have his or her fingers on the buttons and eyes on the stage. I may be wrong, but I've always thought that it is the physical control panel that makes the D-series worth its high price, rather than the additional features (music system, groups, etc.).
      >
      > What do you think?
      >
      > -Dan

    • watamixla
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
        Thanks for reaching out for our feedback, Dan!

        I would agree that the music system is not the reason we use the D2.
        In fact, I've never used the music system :(

        If control of the D4 were to be limited to iPad or iPhone, that might be a bit challenging for those of us that don't have those devices.
        So I wonder if it would be possible/practical to include computer (ethernet?) interface as well as iOS interface?

        For what it's worth, I recently did an informal survey of Dugan E users and found that almost no one actually connects an external control to it. They just assume it's set at default settings (or reset to them) and go!

        Thanks again!

        Ken Newman
        sndmxr@...
        ken.newman@...

        --- In duganusers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Dugan <dan@...> wrote:

        > Dear Colleagues,
        >
        > In designing the Model D-4, intended to be the Dugan high-end product to replace both the D-2 and the D-3, we have come up with an important question that you can help us with.
        >
        > We plan to make control panel interfaces for iPad for sure and maybe even iPhone. We are tempted to leave it at that, because such a design could bring the price down significantly!
        >
        > The argument for a physical control panel is that an operator can have his or her fingers on the buttons and eyes on the stage. I may be wrong, but I've always thought that it is the physical control panel that makes the D-series worth its high price, rather than the additional features (music system, groups, etc.).
        >
        > What do you think?
        >
        > -Dan

      • Dan Dugan
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
          Ken Newman, you wrote,

          > I would agree that the music system is not the reason we use the D2.
          > In fact, I've never used the music system :(

          Very few ever have. Years ago I added the D-1 as my second product, it was (is) a Model D with just the speech system for a lower price. I figured it would succeed the Model D. I was surprised that people still wanted to buy Model Ds, even though then didn't actually use the extra features.

          > If control of the D4 were to be limited to iPad or iPhone, that might be a bit challenging for those of us that don't have those devices.
          > So I wonder if it would be possible/practical to include computer (ethernet?) interface as well as iOS interface?

          All my new mixers will have web control panels in addition to iOS control panels. I'm going to reconfigure my whole product line this year, stay tuned.

          > For what it's worth, I recently did an informal survey of Dugan E users and found that almost no one actually connects an external control to it. They just assume it's set at default settings (or reset to them) and go!

          I'm not at all surprised. I had a session with my manual writer yesterday, and we decided that the "quickstart" for the Dugan-MY16 (Yamaha card, coming soon!) shouldn't include getting the remote interface up--just patch post-fader and go. Different Yamaha mixers address their screen differently, so we can't have operation using their screen. The Dugan-MY16 has ethernet in the back and web control + iOS control. We will have a live demo at the NAB.

          -Dan
        • Michael Jackson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2011
            Dan,

            So great that this discussion is happening.

            For the years that I was mostly mixing on an analog desk, just about the only controls I used were the bypass to bring channels in and out as people entered or left the stage (assuming all the same mic types).  Now that I use more digital desks I move the insert point to be post fader and I dont even have to use the bypass anymore.  If I have a Dugan E I just go with "out of the box" settings and I am fine.  I dont even need to have the units within reach.

            Having said that, I think that it would be nice to have more than one platform available for a non PC interface.  Android?

            Thanks again for starting this dialog.  I wish more designer and manufacturers would do this.

            Michael Jackson
            BPIAudio
            510.323.3610 cell
            510.232.7220 fax