Check out the new Duelmasters!

  • williamspaul_98
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
    • Kevin Malone
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
        > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=duelmasters

        Is RSI's Duelmasters trademarked? If so, they can prevent WotC from bringing
        that to the U.S. under that name. It would be kind of funny to see a little
        company like RSI take WotC down a peg.

        Captain K.
      • sprince42
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
          It would also depend on how strict the trademark is. WotC can
          seriously argue it's not the same because it's two words, plus RSI
          didn't pursue this in international court. (There are certain
          international rules regarding trademarks.)

          Ichabod

          --- In duel@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Malone" <shibakev@e...> wrote:
          > > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=duelmasters
          > >
          > Is RSI's Duelmasters trademarked? If so, they can prevent WotC from
          bringing
          > that to the U.S. under that name. It would be kind of funny to see
          a little
          > company like RSI take WotC down a peg.
          >
          > Captain K.
        • STEVEN HEIDLOFF
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
            What if you can show a possible link? I know for a fact
            that some of the design team and play testers for Magic
            played Duelmaster's in the 90's. I showed one of my best
            friends how to play DM, and he in turn showed a couple of
            his friends from High School (Mons Johnson and Richard
            Garfield, and so on...).

            Steve/RR

            It would also depend on how strict the trademark is. WotC
            can
            seriously argue it's not the same because it's two words,
            plus RSI
            didn't pursue this in international court. (There are
            certain
            international rules regarding trademarks.)

            Ichabod

            > Is RSI's Duelmasters trademarked? If so, they can prevent WotC from
            bringing
            > that to the U.S. under that name. It would be kind of funny to see
            a little
            > company like RSI take WotC down a peg.
            >
            > Captain K.
          • Joseph Erdman
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
              Steve,

              Here you go:

              Joe/Mad Max

              STEVEN HEIDLOFF <rascallyrabbit@...> wrote:
              What if you can show a possible link? I know for a fact
              that some of the design team and play testers for Magic
              played Duelmaster's in the 90's. I showed one of my best
              friends how to play DM, and he in turn showed a couple of
              his friends from High School (Mons Johnson and Richard
              Garfield, and so on...).

              Steve/RR

              It would also depend on how strict the trademark is.  WotC
              can
              seriously argue it's not the same because it's two words,
              plus RSI
              didn't pursue this in international court.  (There are
              certain
              international rules regarding trademarks.)

              Ichabod

              > Is RSI's Duelmasters trademarked? If so, they can prevent WotC from
              bringing
              > that to the U.S. under that name. It would be kind of funny to see
              a little
              > company like RSI take WotC down a peg.
              >
              > Captain K.

              Online DM Managers Census:
              http://www.bit-net.com/~johnh/dm_census.cgi

              To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • sprince42
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
                The problem there is that Duel Masters the card game has been made in
                Japan for a couple years now. It's an import in the line of Pokemon,
                and that name is just a literal translation of the Japanese word.
                (I'm not exactly sure what the Japanese name would be in this case.)

                Ichabod

                --- In duel@yahoogroups.com, "STEVEN HEIDLOFF" <rascallyrabbit@c...>
                wrote:
                > What if you can show a possible link? I know for a fact
                > that some of the design team and play testers for Magic
                > played Duelmaster's in the 90's. I showed one of my best
                > friends how to play DM, and he in turn showed a couple of
                > his friends from High School (Mons Johnson and Richard
                > Garfield, and so on...).
                >
                > Steve/RR

                > It would also depend on how strict the trademark is. WotC
                > can
                > seriously argue it's not the same because it's two words,
                > plus RSI
                > didn't pursue this in international court. (There are
                > certain
                > international rules regarding trademarks.)
                >
                > Ichabod
                >
                > > Is RSI's Duelmasters trademarked? If so, they can prevent WotC
                from
                > bringing
                > > that to the U.S. under that name. It would be kind of funny to
                see
                > a little
                > > company like RSI take WotC down a peg.
                > >
                > > Captain K.
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
                  If you look at it, its called Duel Masters with the seperation in between.
                  They could probably legally get away with it.

                  Tripwire
                • dwayne@CREIGHTON.EDU
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
                    On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Kevin Malone wrote:

                    > > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=duelmasters
                    > >
                    > Is RSI's Duelmasters trademarked? If so, they can prevent WotC from bringing
                    > that to the U.S. under that name. It would be kind of funny to see a little
                    > company like RSI take WotC down a peg.

                    Or, WotC will wave enough money in RSI's direction so that we: 1.)End up
                    playing the same game, but with a whole new spiffy name. or 2.)WotC will
                    buy RSI.

                    Dwayne/Manager
                  • RICK WINNIFORD
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
                      That's cool, I used to play AD&D with Mons a couple years ago when he was still with WoTC.  Saw him a few months ago when he drove to Tacome from Portland to play Warhammer with some old friends and I.  I still have an autographed "Mons Goblin Raiders" stashed away.

                      Nunzio
                      What if you can show a possible link? I know for a fact
                      that some of the design team and play testers for Magic
                      played Duelmaster's in the 90's. I showed one of my best
                      friends how to play DM, and he in turn showed a couple of
                      his friends from High School (Mons Johnson and Richard
                      Garfield, and so on...).

                      Steve/RR

                      It would also depend on how strict the trademark is.  WotC
                      can
                      seriously argue it's not the same because it's two words,
                      plus RSI
                      didn't pursue this in international court.  (There are
                      certain
                      international rules regarding trademarks.)

                      Ichabod

                      > Is RSI's Duelmasters trademarked? If so, they can prevent WotC from
                      bringing
                      > that to the U.S. under that name. It would be kind of funny to see
                      a little
                      > company like RSI take WotC down a peg.
                      >
                      > Captain K.

                      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/ofVplB/TM

                    • Kevin Malone
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1, 2003
                        > The problem there is that Duel Masters the card game has been made in
                        > Japan for a couple years now. It's an import in the line of Pokemon,
                        > and that name is just a literal translation of the Japanese word.
                        > (I'm not exactly sure what the Japanese name would be in this case.)

                        Funny that you mention Pokemon, because that's exactly the same situation.
                        In Japan, Pokemon was called Pocket Monsters. When brought to the U.S.,
                        they couldn't use that name because there was already a toy line called
                        Monster In My Pocket. So they made up the new name of Pokemon.

                        Captain K.
                      • Bert Bonner
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 3, 2003
                          The Japanese letters showing on the website are actually as close as
                          Japanese can come to the words Duel Masters. They are in the 'foreign'
                          alphabet (katakana), i.e., the way they spell words from other languages.
                          If you spell it phonetically in English it reads Dyu-E-Ru Ma-Su-Ta-Zu.
                          I'm not suprised that this game was given an 'English' name. It's pretty
                          common to find such words in everyday use. The Japanese study English in
                          junior high and know many words, if not how to use them with grammatical
                          correctness (or pronounce them with sounds they have never had to make
                          before).

                          Bert / Darkfist