Re: Tourney Arena Suggestion

  • Brown, Dick [DPYUS]
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 1999
      It wouldn't be a true test anyway. In my opinion, it takes more skill to
      manage
      a warrior through a champions class filled with more experienced warriors
      than
      it does to start a warrior off well. Twelve turns is just getting to the
      hard
      part of basic managing. And then you quit? If you want to test all the
      skills
      of a basic DM manager, you need to have a longer contest. Otherwise, you're
      only testing how well one can manage inititates and adepts.

      I thought one of the best basic DM contests was one that Scrag organized a
      few
      years ago. The general Dm populace didn't participate (although there were
      about 30 teams that started the contest), but the contest was a true test of
      skill. The goal was simple. First one to 100 wins was the victor. DA all
      you
      want, run in tourneys all you want, sandbag all you want. One good thing
      about
      it is that most standard tournament preparation tactics only hurt you in
      getting
      to 100 wins. You also don't need to have great warriors, but you probably
      will
      have at least one or two. You also need to deal with replacements at some
      point, a true skill vital to basic DM success. You also need to manage at
      every
      level of basic, because it will probably take over a year to get to 100
      wins, so
      you'll most likely have an ADM graduate or two. It's a better contest than
      repetitive 12 turn tourney format, but it also takes commitment because it's
      lengthy contest. No tricky rules, just first one to 100 wins. And,
      incidentally, there was no prize other than bragging rights, yet a lot of
      big
      name managers participated.

      - Neon Necromancer

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 1999
        ><< My thought on this is to run from ONE sheet and only one, no DA or
        >Replacements used. You could DA a crappy warrior rather than take the
        losses
        >but you couldn't replace him. Kind on like a "limited/sealed deck" Magic
        >tourney, you play what you get. Maybe we could run it and get something
        >special from RSI like coded roll-up sheets, lame prizes, etc.
        > >>

        >Well, if there were tricky rules involved it wouldn't be a true test of
        basic
        >DM skill. 12 turns, most wins!
        >
        >Mr. Vertigo

        I was thinking that you could have a special RU sheet just for that arena.
        print it on yellow paper or something(change colors each competition) .
        maybe this rollup would cost $10 and could only be used in the arena. The
        extra money from these RU could be used to help convince RSI to have
        prizes(if we want them). Then the price of the arena would be the same as
        any other basic arena. Also on prizes maybe they could be on the
        insignificant side. Like a free rollup for the next competition or maybe 5
        skill LEARNS(like you had an extra fight, applies to your 20 skills) or rule
        that any prizes won have to be applied to the warrior winning the prize or a
        warrior on the winning team.
        Anyway I am saving all suggestion and want to get an outlined proposal
        up sometime in the next week or two so keep sending them.

        Thanks
        Maddog
      • THEFUNBUNCH@xxxxx.xxxxxxx.xxxx)
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 1999
          With only one roll up per sheet, it really turns the whole contest
          into whoever gets lucky and draws a good roll up when others are daing
          for their good warrior. Bad warriors may win a little at first, but not
          be able to compete for 10 or more turns, while the "lucky" guy tears up
          the arena.
          If a prize is offered many will compete for it. The problem is making
          this an extremely competitive contest without changing how the game
          itself works.
          How about a contest of losers, lasting 10 turns, and the manager who's
          warrior manages to get the most losses without being killed gets a prize
          of mercy (whatever offered). Sort of like DM welfare. It would be great
          challenge to design and run a warrior who consistantly loses but does'nt
          die, escpecially when everyone else is trying to do the same. There
          would be no problem with throwing fights because that's what everyone
          wouls be trying to do. Just to be sure that someone does'nt send in a
          long term design hoping for an easy road to AD, there would be no
          graduation.

          Mr. Mojo
        • LLewey7855@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 1999
            In a message dated 4/1/99 10:32:10 AM EST, DBrown8@... writes:

[...]

            a repetitive 12 turn tourney format, but it also takes commitment because
            it's
            a lengthy contest. No tricky rules, just first one to 100 wins. And,
            incidentally, there was no prize other than bragging rights, yet a lot of
            big name managers participated.

            - Neon Necromancer

            Yes--that was a great contest! When I first thought this one up (I think the
            bottle of port was at least half empty by that point) there weren't any
            gimmicks. There were no special rules, and the teams didn't reset every 12
            turns. The point was to redirect some of the energy put into tournaments back
            to basic DM. I started a meandering 3rd person proposal while finishing the
            second half of the bottle... But this shouldn't be an "event", it should be a
            consistent place for managers to vie for basic DM bragging rights!

            Mr. Vertigo
          • TermnatorE@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 1999
              DBrown8@... writes:

              > I thought one of the best basic DM contests was one that Scrag organized a
              > few
              > years ago. The general Dm populace didn't participate (although there were
              > about 30 teams that started the contest), but the contest was a true test
              of
              > skill. The goal was simple. First one to 100 wins was the victor. DA all
              > you
              > want, run in tourneys all you want, sandbag all you want. One good thing
              > about
              > it is that most standard tournament preparation tactics only hurt you in
              > getting
              > to 100 wins. You also don't need to have great warriors, but you probably
              > will
              > have at least one or two. You also need to deal with replacements at some
              > point, a true skill vital to basic DM success. You also need to manage at
              > every
              > level of basic, because it will probably take over a year to get to 100
              > wins, so
              > you'll most likely have an ADM graduate or two. It's a better contest than
              > repetitive 12 turn tourney format, but it also takes commitment because
              it's
              > lengthy contest. No tricky rules, just first one to 100 wins. And,
              > incidentally, there was no prize other than bragging rights, yet a lot of
              > big
              > name managers participated.
              >
              > - Neon Necromancer

              I really like this idea. I'd even play for a prize.

              Otto X
            • TermnatorE@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 1999
                In a message dated 4/1/99 11:39:39 AM Central Standard Time,
                THEFUNBUNCH@... writes:

                > How about a contest of losers, lasting 10 turns, and the manager who's
                > warrior manages to get the most losses without being killed gets a prize
                > of mercy (whatever offered). Sort of like DM welfare. It would be great
                > challenge to design and run a warrior who consistantly loses but does'nt
                > die, escpecially when everyone else is trying to do the same. There
                > would be no problem with throwing fights because that's what everyone
                > wouls be trying to do. Just to be sure that someone does'nt send in a
                > long term design hoping for an easy road to AD, there would be no
                > graduation.

                This is a cute idea, too. I think we'd end up with a big tie at 0-10, though.

                Otto X
              • LeBeau Robert C
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 1999
                  How about instead of the BADD tournaments at a mail-in, where everyone who
                  is 0-2 tries to win to avoid getting eliminated again, they run a true
                  loser's tournament so that if you win, you are out of the loser's
                  tournament. Then just keep running turns until there is one warrior left at
                  0-??. There would not be any prizes, the only reward would be to give the
                  worst warriors some extra opportunities to learn some skills or get some
                  extra stat trains and the 'lucky' managers would get to 'brag' about having
                  the worst warriors.

                  Rillion

                  THEFUNBUNCH@... writes:

                  > How about a contest of losers, lasting 10 turns, and the manager
                  who's
                  > warrior manages to get the most losses without being killed gets
                  a prize
                  > of mercy (whatever offered). Sort of like DM welfare. It would be
                  great
                  > challenge to design and run a warrior who consistantly loses but
                  does'nt
                  > die, escpecially when everyone else is trying to do the same.
                  There
                  > would be no problem with throwing fights because that's what
                  everyone
                  > wouls be trying to do. Just to be sure that someone does'nt send
                  in a
                  > long term design hoping for an easy road to AD, there would be no
                  > graduation.

                  This is a cute idea, too. I think we'd end up with a big tie at
                  0-10, though.

                  Otto X
                • Kevin M. Malone
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1, 1999
                    >>Maybe we could run it and get something
                    >>special from RSI like coded roll-up sheets, lame prizes, etc.

                    Here's an idea for a prize: A "personality prize" that lets you alter all
                    of one character's quotes instead of just the 15 you can change on the
                    census sheet. That's a prize that wouldn't have any affect on gameplay and
                    would be pretty easy for RSI to give (unless their quote system is more
                    complicated than I think it is).

                    Captain K.
                  • Ed Brizzolara
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 3, 1999
                      WFMS101@... wrote:

                      > From: WFMS101@...
                      >
                      > In a message dated 3/30/99, 9:35:33 PM, Ultraist@... writes:
                      > <<Otto X, you aren't the last one who plays for the love of the game!
                      > too follow that path.
                      >
                      > Ultraist>>
                      > Gentlemen:
                      > There are a lot of us "out here".