Re: [duel] WS vs TP

  • Robert.Rillion
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2002
      > I don't think they messed with the bases, but I
      > can't say for sure. I
      > know they messed with the effect of parry, including
      > the accelerated
      > endurance burn from sustained defense to tone down
      > how over-powerful
      > TP's were. It's too bad that they didn't go far
      > enough with that and
      > that the scourge of scum continues to infest
      > Duelmasters.
      >
      > >Dwayne/Manager
      >
      > --Travis
      > The Sentinel (sentinel@...)
      > <=======|-- --|=======> <=======|--
      > --|=======>

      Well since I was playing when they made the change, I
      can say that I never once heard anyone mention that
      their bases got changed. The changes were the whole
      'slip/bash' past parries and then upping the endurance
      drain from parrying.

      Scum are not a problem and they don't 'infest'
      duelmaster. Scum have even bigger weaknesses then
      WS's and if it weren't for scum, offensive warriors
      with shitloads of skills and no physicals would rule
      the game.

      Rillion, on the pro-TP bandwagon after the FtF

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Christopher Staples
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2002
        lungers infest Lungermasters far more than scum TPs do.

        dr surfer

        > > I don't think they messed with the bases, but I
        > > can't say for sure. I
        > > know they messed with the effect of parry, including
        > > the accelerated
        > > endurance burn from sustained defense to tone down
        > > how over-powerful
        > > TP's were. It's too bad that they didn't go far
        > > enough with that and
        > > that the scourge of scum continues to infest
        > > Duelmasters.
        > >
        > > >Dwayne/Manager
        > >
        > > --Travis
        > > The Sentinel (sentinel@...)
        > > <=======|-- --|=======> <=======|--
        > > --|=======>
        >
        > Well since I was playing when they made the change, I
        > can say that I never once heard anyone mention that
        > their bases got changed. The changes were the whole
        > 'slip/bash' past parries and then upping the endurance
        > drain from parrying.
        >
        > Scum are not a problem and they don't 'infest'
        > duelmaster. Scum have even bigger weaknesses then
        > WS's and if it weren't for scum, offensive warriors
        > with shitloads of skills and no physicals would rule
        > the game.
        >
        > Rillion, on the pro-TP bandwagon after the FtF

        > http://greetings.yahoo.com
        >

        > Online DM Managers Census:
        > http://www.bit-net.com/~johnh/dm_census.cgi
        >
        > To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to:

      • Deric Page
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2002
          On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 22:23:34, thunder crashed as "robert occhipinti" <zalgor@...>
          dramatically intoned:

          >1. Why not make the TP more advantageous?

          They were at one point. This was before I joined the game in '88, but from what I
          understand, they were so dominant they had to be toned down. While they may not have the
          skills of other styles, they have other advantages that more than make up for it in basic.

          >2. Failing that, why run a TP other than the 2 reasons above?

          Better endurance conservation, able to be bonused in other areas than a waste, more likely
          to TC low-end Basic tourneys, better against certain styles, and that's just off the top
          of my head.

          >3. Why does nobody complain about WS being unfair? Is it just the mode
          >in defense factor?

          That's part of it. Mainly it's because Wastes can only be bonused in 2 areas, and one of
          those is a joke at the upper end of the game. Also, Wastes generally learn Dec and Rip so
          slowly that they get stomped mid-game (high Adepts to mid/high ADM). Without those two
          skills, they get out-jumped and rarely try to steal the init, so they get pounded. Once
          they've maxxed skills and can control their learns more, they can start bringing up their
          Dec and Rip in line with their other skills.

          >4. If this is the only drawback to the WS, why does the other highly
          >skilled style, LU, not have any such handicap?

          Well, as above, there's more drawbacks to the waste. The lunger's main drawback is END
          burn. That makes them vulnerable to scum in basic.

          >5. Why does nobody clamour about making the LU less dominant?

          People have. At the ADM level of the game (especially Primus/Gateway), lungers become
          extremely dangerous. They would be the dominant style at those levels were it not for the
          aimers-that-used-to-be-lungers running around.

          Deric "Drake" Page
          Arenas 33, 47, 101 & 103

          deric.page@...
          Yahoo Messenger: Netzilla
          ICQ: 8041239

          *****

          "Everything starts as someone's daydream." - Larry Niven