Re: [duel] Tourney rumors

  • Scott McCarthy
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2000
      Travis wrote:

      I got the idea that RSI had essentially manually inducted Spearman to
      Gateway. As much as it's clear that Spearman in Primus was a pretty broken
      thing, it's probably for the best, but...

      I have a problem with an arbitrary hand-picking like this from RSI. If
      they're going to recognize turnover at the top as a problem, I want to see
      a system instituted that applies to everyone equally. It's inherently
      unfair to single out a specific warrior or manager and if they're going to
      make changes, I think that some sort of evenly applied change to the Primus
      (and Gateway?) tourney system is in order.

      *******

      Did I miss something? What evidence do we have that Spearman has been moved
      to Gateway, forced to Gateway, or inducted to Gateway? Besides he went
      inactive while on the throne of Primus and playing for free?

      As for the fair comment I agree completely. I hope if Spearman has been
      moved it was by Joel or by a whole new induction system. However, if
      Spearman were moved by hand so to speak it would not be the first time or
      even the second time that has happened. IMHO, manual changes to tourney
      classification happens more often then most people would want to believe.

      Scott / Doc Steele
    • Scott McCarthy
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2000
        uh, yeah, i would think so. I think it is possible that recent Champions
        suckoffs may not have been equal as well. It is not reasonable to remove
        particular warriors just because certain managers have won/win a lot of
        tournament prizes. Who is the judge for such decisions, and how is
        it assured that whoever it is is being fair.

        *****

        This is exactly what happened in Champions last time. It is what has
        happened to multiple TC warriors in basic that go Inducted rather quickly
        and miss there chance at Freshman despite 0 stat trains, and a 40 FE. It is
        a fairly common practice in the halls of RSI. Each of you has to ask when
        it will be your turn?

        Scott / Doc Steele
      • Scott McCarthy
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2000
          Manager wrote:

          And while I like Joel immensely, I don't feel that sympathetic toward him
          if indeed Spearman got thrown through the the Gate. (We need a new term
          for that). Donatello and Vengeance were quelched much sooner in their
          dominant phase. Remember the one TC per year rule?
          ***One of the more blatant and heinous things RSI has done in the name of
          game balance. And very little is ever said about it. Which brings up
          another point. What RSI and the public thinks of you determines to some
          degree what happens to your warriors. Do you think that Neon or I could
          have won Primus 9 times in a row with no action being taken? People just
          don't seem to mind Joel winning all those TCs.

          I think any system that is implemented now should definitely have the
          approval of Moriarty. He's the one that stands the most to gain/lose from
          all of this. If he doesn't mind his warriors going to the Gate after a
          couple of TCs then I'm for it. If not, then we do things the arbitrary
          way because we've already gone past the fairness point a long time ago.
          And if RSI does implement a system, hopefully they will tell us what it
          actually is.
          ***No system will please everyone. But I agree that any induction system
          based on TCs should go up as Spearman continues top collect them. I used to
          accept 3 TCs and you are gone but now it should probably be 5. While to be
          fair it should be 9, but that doesn't solve anything.

          When you think about it, many of the RSI rule changes obviously targetted
          to specific managers and warriors. For example, they changed the graduation
          rules to get rid of Deputy Dan. They lower the W/L % in the split formula
          to deter the managers who were fight throwing. This one is just more
          blatant, that's all.
          ***More great examples. The bottom line is Duelmasters is only fair in the
          eyes of those that moderate it. The main concern of RSI is to protect the
          little manager from being squashed by the big manager in the tourney. The
          problem is there really is not a huge group of poor helpless players out
          there. We are a small community that make up 90% of their business. So to
          begin with they are protecting a group that does not exist. Then when they
          do something to help that mystery group it is usually done in the manner of
          a temporary solution that lasts forever because they never bother with a
          real solution later. Not to mention the assembly line game plan here. RSI
          believes the assembly line arena flow is the key to their success. When
          basic was too full they made AD. When AD was too full they made regional
          arenas and then Primus and then Gateway. My biggest fear is Ultra-Gateway
          with stats to 30. But I think we have perhaps voiced our opinions on that
          one enough that RSI knows better. Anyway, the point of my ramblings here is
          that we just have to live with it or quit as so many of our friends have
          done before us. RSI is not going to just wake up one day and make sweeping
          changes to fix all the problems. Duelmasters will always be the patch work
          shambling mass of a game we all love to hate but can stop playing.

          Scott / Doc Steele
        • Pagan
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2000
            If a person wants to win then they must make a better warrior. If that is
            impossible then buy one. If that still ends up being impossible, or a person
            is unwilling to do this, then don't play Primus.

            This however is a personal view on a manager's lack of control over his
            warrior. And has little to do about fixing something, of which I will remain
            silent on my opinions top that regard.

            Pagan