Re: [duel] New rollup

  • LLewey7855@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2000
      In a message dated 6/30/00 6:11:13 PM, jhgcerdman@... writes:

      << 11-9-7-15-21-6-15

      >or
      >
      >9-9-7-15-21-8-15
      >
      >Wouldn't the last two give more starting skills?
      >
      >What is the advantage of the first number set? >>
      >
      >*I think due to the paranoia over little damage which would ruin this (a
      >21 will) warrior. Plus, with a wos, you could use the GA. If it were
      >mine,
      >I'd actually go 15 str, 11 deft--you get the same parry/attack as a 13
      >deft,
      >you can use the BA (woohoo!!) and you might get good damage That said, I
      >prefer the 9 str second-best. Heck, if you get little you could probably
      >train out of it with that 21 will
      >
      >Mr. Vertigo
      Mr. V,
      The last 2 number sets in my opinion are the only 2 ways to go.
      I'd go 11-9-7-15-21-8-15 PL. The 13 ST 13 DF warrior might get good damage
      but with the 21 will you should have no problem training it up. >>

      the ONLY two ways to go!!? 9-9-7-9-20-6-10=the roll-up in question. If he
      were REALLY mine, I'd go 9-15-7-15-21-6-11 total parry (or some burner
      variant)--sorry Mikey's corrupted me. That out of the way, allow me to
      retort! In my opinion there are several mistakes that the mid+ managers make
      when designing roll-ups. #1 the misuse of wills from 7-14, #2 the bogus
      addition of a couple points to perfectly good 3-5 attributes, and #3 an
      infatuation with skill base in improper situations, i.e., (after a few beers)
      that blonde with the thick wrists can't REALLY be a transvestite...

      Basic is a game that is dominated at early levels by physicals with a DECENT
      skill base and at later levels by the 21 witers. There are RARE examples
      when warriors excel at both (such as SNOG, who was also wicked bonused, and
      also only had a 17 wit, and who beat my +5 ambi piker in the adepts run-offs,
      and I'm still pissed).

      with a WOS, you have to ask yourself, "is that ONE parry skill and the single
      attack bonus worth the encumbrance difference (probably the penalty is at
      least a parry/attack skill if you're wearing scale+)?? Plus I'm likely
      swinging away with a damage-bumped BA, while your guy's whirling away with
      that silly scimitar. The other skills DON'T MATTER. Don't forget that
      you'll be running (typically) a skill base-poor strategy with a WOS. 3-6 OE,
      1-6 AL don't do wonders for rip, dodge and init. skills besides attack and
      parry for a prototypical WOS his first 10-15 fights are less usefull.

      oh yeah! you were talking about a plunger! As you designed it, that plunger
      has no period of excellence. TPs'll smack him in the rookies-inits, the
      higher wits'll devour him in the adepts+ ("tell me about the rabbits
      George"). While, depending upon arena composition, this plunger might
      graduate with a 2-1 win/loss ratio (it IS a hard design to screw up), that
      tourney thermometer is at least a fair measurement of basic DM success.

      Mr. Vertigo a.ka. "Mr. V!"
    • TDavis1753@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 1, 2000
        In a message dated 6/30/00 7:11:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        jhgcerdman@... writes:

        << The last 2 number sets in my opinion are the only 2 ways to go.
        I'd go 11-9-7-15-21-8-15 PL. The 13 ST 13 DF warrior might get good damage
        but with the 21 will you should have no problem training it up.

        this is a serious problem if you want to be a basic contender. starting
        skills are meaningless to a basic warrior. it is how well you learn and your
        physicals that win basic championships. those skills are there to be had
        once you get to adm there is no reason to harvest them now and at the same
        time risking your physicals. every attampt at a train especially past the
        first one is many lost skills if you are challenging properly. get wit, will
        and physicals. startting deftness of 11 is sufficient for all the good
        weapons and leaves a nice bonanza of skills to reap from 12-17 in either an
        adm or eligibles tourney.

        mouse
        delarquan terrorist