Re: Merlin is a founding father

  • Coach
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 1998
      Hmmm...Im mid 400s acct #.

      How's that rank?

      Coach

      At 09:46 AM 1/20/99 -0500, Deke Young wrote:
> [...]
      >at any tourney, and DEFINITELY no more than 50 total in any given year. So
      >I just don't have all that much tournament experience (in terms of fights).
      >I think I could safely say that, in my entire career, I've run less
      >warriors in tournaments than Guardian runs in the tournaments for 1 1/2
      >years.
      >
      >Of course, this is all pretty lame for an excuse. I really SHOULD have more
      >than one.... Maybe Anxiety in the Champions or Nuada in the Freshmen this
      >time around?
      >
      >Merlin, Warden of the Dark Circle
      >

      >MBender842@... on 01/19/99 09:27:44 PM
      >
      >To: duel@onelist.com
      >cc: (bcc: JMerlino/Mindscape)
      >Subject: [duel] Re: TCing...
      >

      >From: MBender842@...

      ><<
      > Well, I only have one 1 TC, although I have many TVs. My only TC came with
      > a dime-a-dozen 21-wit striker in the Dead Adepts tourney. I used no
      >special
      > strategy.
      >
      > This warrior was PERFECTLY timed (i.e. exactly 20 FE), however, and had
      > learned very well up until then (well over 50 learned skills going into
      >the
      > tournament, 68 coming out). I believe that these two things are the most
      > important in getting a TC: a well-timed warrior that has learned well (a
      > well-bonused warrior is a further bonus, but my warrior was completely
      >mode
      > in the most important skill areas).
      >
      > Of course, this kind of stuff is useless for the lower tournaments
      > (rookies, novices, etc.) Down there it's mostly good design, good
      > management (especially in a FtF, just ask Guardian) and luck (both in the
      > rollup and in your matchups).
      >
      > Of course, if you DO ask Guardian, he might just say "run 100 warriors and
      > one of them's bound to TC".
      >
      > Hope that helps.
      >
      > Merlin, Warden of the Dark Circle
      > >>

      >I found it surprising that Merlin only has 1 TC. I too only have 1, and I
      >know we've been playing close to the same amount of time (I think he was
      >one
      >of the originals, right?). Mine was with a PR in the Adepts tourney some
      >years back (he went something like 9-10-12-17-17-4-15). He too had 20
      >fights
      >going in (I try to time my warriors so they'll fight at or close to the top
      >of
      >a tourney classification), and had lots of skills going in. Ironically,
      >the
      >prize from that TC was a DYO prize, which I think has a shot of TCing in
      >the
      >eligibles a few weeks from now.
      >
      >I've never had much luck in the lower tournies (Rooks - Apps), and have
      >most
      >of my good showings in the higher tournies. Hopefully I can expand about
      >what
      >it takes to TC after coming back from AZ (though I won't hold my

    • Heidloff, Steve
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 20 8:01 AM
        I always felt good about being under 10000, considering my daughter's
        account is over 30000.

        Rascally Rabbit

      • JMerlino@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20 12:05 PM
          Well, ok. Just to fill out the record and set it straight:

          My account number is < 200. I knew that Kim Harnagel's was lower (and I was
          correct), and I THOUGHT that he was still active (I miss fighting against
          Adonis and Silver and Copper....).

          My first turn was cycle 2 of Transel (arena 6), although I actually played
          in a demo tournament at a Los Angeles gaming convention on Labor Day
          weekend in 1984. Anybody else remember that arenas had LETTERS rather than
          numbers then? So, in tournaments, a warrior from Transel would have been
          F-165, or whatever.... I also have several fights where the trains were
          written in by an RSI employee. I even have a fight where one of my warriors
          won one of the very controversial "Arenamaster stops the fight because it's
          getting too boring" fights. Ah, the good old days.....

          Both of the first two warriors I ever designed graduated, although they're
          both HORRIBLE.

          By-Tor -- originally 15-15-11-13-8-8-14 PARRY-LUNGER! And, to make matters
          worse, he started -4 attack AND -3 parry!! But, somehow, he managed to
          start 7-0 and eventually graduated at 29-32-1. His favorites were very
          nice, though: Scimitar, MOD/VH, decis learn.

          The other warrior was named Snow Dog (of the stable Priests of Syrinx...
          ah, youth....). I can't remember his numbers, but he was a lunger who
          graduated with ONLY an adex in init. He got a shortsword favorite and
          REALLY sucked, so he's been LONG retired.

          But, I DID get my first kill on that first turn in Transel, and that's
          pretty much been my claim to fame: The Kill. Eighty and counting in
          Sibikhas with Merlin's Lot....

          Merlin, Warden of the Dark Circle

          p.s. Sibikhas, by the way, thanks to many of my friends (and friendly
          enemies) has heated back up again. Come there if you want some good
          Delarquan fun.

          Deke Young <Deke.Young@...> on 01/20/99 09:46:00 AM

          To: "\"duel@onelist.com\" " <duel@onelist.com>
          cc: (bcc: JMerlino/Mindscape)