Re: [duel] Teach me!

  • Kevin M. Malone
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2000
      >Alright, so I got this replacement RU here. I'm having a hard time coming
      up with something for this:

      >13 - 8 - 10 - 5 - 12 - 9 - 13

      The thing here is that even if you add six to wit, it's still going to be
      low. So just pile on the will and make this a stat-burning design. The
      most obvious thing to make this is a scum TP. Something along the lines of
      15-14-10-5-18-9-13. Train nothing but stats and you'll get yourself plenty
      of wins.

      Another option with the low wit is an Aimed Blow. Aimers don't need wit to
      be successful, and can also provide you with a good win-percentage in the
      short run. I'd suggest 17-8-10-5-17-10-17 with bare fists against lighter
      armors and a weapon against heavier ones (DA or SC, maybe the ML for grins)

      Of course, you don't have to stat-burn these guys. Training skills you will
      average about 1/fight. But the stat-burning will make them real good real
      fast. It depends on how patient you are.

      Captain K.
    • joedog56@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2000
        I disagree with part of this advice. There's absolutely no reason to move
        deftness from 13 to 15. If I can't get DF to 17 or 21, I leave it at 13.
        Deftness is an overrated stat. Also, that NEVER NEVER add to con rule is a
        bunch of crap. Con is one of the most important stats for any high-endurance
        style, such as LU or SL. Con wins fights, and provides for so much more than
        just the ability to take damage.

        What I'd do with this RU:

        either:

        16-8-10-11-17-9-13 LU or SL, train WT to 13 and ST to 17. burns a few
        skills, but I think it's worth it on this RU. It's not spectacular, but it
        should graduate with a decent record.

        -or-

        14-14-10-6-18-9-13 TP. train to 15-16-10-7-21-9-13, then go skills. This
        isn't a spectacular scum TP, but it's decent, and in DM 93, it should tear it
        up. Give it 2 large shields and APA/F, and watch the wins roll in.

        Andarus

        << >Alright, so I got this replacement RU here. I'm having a hard time coming
        >up with something for this:
        >
        >13 - 8 - 10 - 5 - 12 - 9 - 13
        > +1 +6 +5 +2 <====I was thinking...
        >13 - 9 - 10 -11 - 17 - 9 - 15
        >
        >Chris Palmer
        >Merdick (Arms Inc.)

        Chris,

        Okay, my good man. lets begin:

        13 - 8 - 10 - 5 - 12 - 9 - 13
        +1 +6 +6 +2
        14 - 8 - 10 -11 - 17 - 9 - 13

        Making a role up (the order of operations.):

        Step 1) Never, NEVER, add to con! It will not give you any skills. This is
        personal opinion, but I would say that having an even numberd stat is better
        then wasting a skill by adding it to con. By adding to ST your warrior will
        gain a few more PARRY and ATTACK skills.

        Step 2) Always add to WT has high as you can go with out landing on an even
        number. I would make ST an even number because you don't get many skills
        from ST, but not wit.

        Step 3) Follow step 2 for Will.

        Step 4) Follow step 2 for defftness.

        Step 5) Anything left over? Just:
        a)Add to ST until you hit the
        highest odd number.
        b)Add to 1 to speed if it's not odd.
        c)Add the last point to ST.

        Step 6) What style to make it? Now I can't help you much here. Normally I
        would say "Make it what it wants to be. Not what you want to run." In
        other words, don't make it a basher if it looks like a Parry-Lunger.
        However, sometimes you will get tied of making a particular style and will
        want to make something else. Then you might intentionally make it a
        slasher, striker, or some other such style.
        If in doubt, make it a lunger. Lungers, being the highly bonused
        warriors they are, can do well with just about any stat arrangement
        (Provided that they have at least an acceptable WT.)
        As a personal rule, if I'm not sure what a warrior should be, my
        backup style is always lunging.

        -Lord Phoenix >>
      • Dr. Christopher R. Staples
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2000
          At 10:28 AM 4/1/00 -0500, joedog56@... wrote:

          >I disagree with part of this advice. There's absolutely no reason to move
          >deftness from 13 to 15. If I can't get DF to 17 or 21, I leave it at 13.
          >Deftness is an overrated stat. Also, that NEVER NEVER add to con rule is a
          >bunch of crap. Con is one of the most important stats for any high-endurance
          >style, such as LU or SL. Con wins fights, and provides for so much more than
          >just the ability to take damage.

          i agree with the part that NEVER add to con very poor advice. I agree that
          13 is a very good deftness number and that deftness is greatly overrated.
          However, there is here a very good reason to add to deftness, and that is
          because the starting skills are nice to have because the wit is low.

          so, what was the rollup again, let's see....
          13-8-10-5-12-9-13
          not quality, very mediocre, so I'm burning to get something better.
          1 6 4 3
          14-8-10-11-16-9-16 ---->

          15-8-10-13-17-9-17 which ain't bad. then learn, but for me
          it may be more trouble than it's worth to get something not
          that much better than the non-burning idea. I say the
          13-9-10-11-17-9-15 idea isn't that bad. I would train the
          wit to 13 anyhow (OK, it is burning) and then learn, your
          choice.

          >What I'd do with this RU:
          >
          >either:
          >
          >16-8-10-11-17-9-13 LU or SL, train WT to 13 and ST to 17. burns a few
          >skills, but I think it's worth it on this RU. It's not spectacular, but it
          >should graduate with a decent record.

          a decent idea, but i would go for the 15 deft over the 16 ST. It should
          get good damage either way, but endurance here is a little better.

          >-or-
          >
          >14-14-10-6-18-9-13 TP. train to 15-16-10-7-21-9-13, then go skills. This
          >isn't a spectacular scum TP, but it's decent, and in DM 93, it should tear it
          >up. Give it 2 large shields and APA/F, and watch the wins roll in.

          this is also a decent idea, but a very mediocre scum.

          >Andarus

          dr. surfer

          Dr. Christopher R. Staples
          Department of Biochemistry
          433 Babcock Drive
          University of Wisconsin
          Madison, WI 53706
        • LLewey7855@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2, 2000
            clan_phoenix@... writes:

            << Okay, my good man. lets begin:

            13 - 8 - 10 - 5 - 12 - 9 - 13
            +1 +6 +6 +2
            14 - 8 - 10 -11 - 17 - 9 - 13

            Making a role up (the order of operations.):

            Step 1) Never, NEVER, add to con! It will not give you any skills. This is
            personal opinion, but I would say that having an even numberd stat is better
            then wasting a skill by adding it to con. By adding to ST your warrior will
            gain a few more PARRY and ATTACK skills.

            Uhm, what skill chart do you have where you get a couple parry and attack on
            14 str!? In this instance i wouldn't put the extra point on str, as you're
            likely to get good with 13 str/10 sz anyway, and a 24 str/sz won't get you
            great (or hardly ever). In this instance I'd put the extra point on will,
            for better training in ADM and better endurance (and all the better extras
            will gets you). Or on con. there are many many instances when adding to con
            is a good idea, especially with defensive styles. I'd go your original
            design as a p-l and punt him if he didn't come back REAL lucky. on that note
            maybe try 17-8-10-5-16-15-13 right off the bat--i beat Mountain Troll and
            High Elf in my first 2 fights with very similar replacements.

            Mr. Vertigo

            ps--or you could try that nutty bare handed vs. light armor aimer thing and
            maybe kill YOURSELF if you run up against a p-rip or p-lunge (then bloodfeud)
          • LLewey7855@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2000
              clan_phoenix@... writes:

              << So I used the wrong words. Get off my back. Jeeze...

              -Lord Phoenix
              P.S. Crap...? *Tsk* Yet another person with no tact. I keep saying it.
              I'm not offended. But people need to know, some things will piss people
              off. Simply because you didn't mean to be rude, doesn't mean you aren't. >>

              Come to Talcama and I'll make you my bitch.

              Mr. Vertigo

              ps--how was that?
            • Kevin M. Malone
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2000
                >ps--or you could try that nutty bare handed vs. light armor aimer thing and
                >maybe kill YOURSELF if you run up against a p-rip or p-lunge (then
                bloodfeud)

                Switch of Aradi: 12-10-19-3-13-10-17 AB

                Fights bare-handed all the time.

                vs. Lungers: 3-0
                vs. Strikers: 2-1
                vs. Slasher: 2-1
                vs. Basher: 1-1
                vs. P-R: 1-1
                vs. TPs: 0-1

                A good warrior? Not particularly. Long term or tournament potential?
                Zilch. But she sure frustrates the heck out of her opponents. And no,
                she's not bonused significantly and fists are not her favorite weapon.

                Captain K.
              • Alexander Chow
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2000
                  On Sun, 2 Apr 2000 LLewey7855@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 4/2/00 9:28:11 PM !!!First Boot!!!,
                  > clan_phoenix@... writes:
                  >
                  > << So I used the wrong words. Get off my back. Jeeze...
                  >
                  > -Lord Phoenix
                  > P.S. Crap...? *Tsk* Yet another person with no tact. I keep saying it.
                  > I'm not offended. But people need to know, some things will piss people
                  > off. Simply because you didn't mean to be rude, doesn't mean you aren't. >>
                  >
                  > Come to Talcama and I'll make you my bitch.
                  >
                  > Mr. Vertigo
                  >
                  > ps--how was that?

                  -Asylum