Anybody have success with DU wireless internet dongle + linux?

  • penguinforce
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2010
      I would really like to have real mobile Internet from my laptop, and DU is offering a "deal" with their USB dongle right now. Has anyone had luck running these under Linux? The DU dude told me they were made by Hawaie, and there are a few entries in the Linux forums about people sorting out Hawaie dongles?
    • Moeen Ali
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2010
        I tried an Etisalat 3G Dongle, which was Huawei, about 1-2 years ago and it was working fine in Linux. Though, it's not supported by default, and some configurations are necessary.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2010

          Step 1
          Connect USB modem to the computer

          Step 2
          a) Open a terminal from Application -> Accessories -> Terminal
          b) switch to root user
          c) type the command lsusb
          uwill get the details of the USB device connected to your computer
          eg, u will get details in the format vendorID:ProductID
          one configuration file is listed below
          Bus 005 Device 002: ID 13fe:1a00
          you will get similar output
          d) now remove the USB modem and give the follwing command as root user
          sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0xfffd
          please replace vendor and product ID with your USB Vendor and Product ID

          step 3

          Connect your USB Modem

          as root user run the command wvdialconf (wvdial should be installed)

          step 4

          Edit /etc/wvdial.con file and provide username and password

          sudo vim /etc/wvdial.conf

          step 5

          run wvdial

          sample wvdial.conf

          /etc/wvdial.conf

          [Modem0]
          Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
          Baud = 460800
          SetVolume = 0
          Dial Command = ATDT
          Init1 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
          FlowControl = Hardware (CRTSCTS)
          [Dialer Defaults]
          Username = user name
          Password = password
          Phone = #777
          Stupid Mode = 1
          Inherits = Mode
          The reliance card details- HUAWEI, Model no.- EC 3

          Happy hacking

          http://linuxking.wordpress.com/2008/10/24/configuring-usb-modem-in-linux/
          Regards
          SujithS
        • penguinforce
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2010
            Thanks Sujith. You really don't do things the easy way, do you?
            I got the dongle to work with Ubuntu 10.04, and documented everything below. Setting up the du account was far more confusing than sorting out the hardware.

            du customer support = 800 155

            Details for 7.2 Mbps dongle
            Huawei Mobile Connect
            HSPA Rotate USB Stick
            Model: E180
            Stay away from the 21 Mbps dongle because you won't get that performance from the 3G network (according to the salespeople).

            When you buy the package from du, they will give you the dongle, a simcard, and a small flash memory card. I bought my first top-up charge card right away too (200 Dhs).

            Registration procedure

            Put sim card in normal cell phone
            Go to du.ae -> self-care -> register -> du consumer
            Enter the mobile number as per the label on the simcard box
            An SMS will be sent to your cell phone containing a 10 digit registration code
            Enter the mobile number again as per the label on the simcard box
            Now you get to step 2, where you can enter the 10 digit registration code
            On step 3, you will specify a password/username for your account.
            I'm not sure that account is very useful unless you want to give them your credit card number.

            Charging the Account

            To top up your prepaid account for the first time, buy a du charge card for 200 Dhs, put the simcard in a normal phone, and dial:
            *135*chargeCardNumber#
            Note - this is the "add more time" option.
            If it all works out, you'll get an sms on the phone saying "Your mobile broadband offer is activated".

            USB dongle setup

            Move the sim card out of the phone, and into your internet USB dongle, along with the memory card. Plug it all into your PC.
            Restart your machine - you'll get a new du icon on your desktop - duh that's just the usb flash memory, nothing to do with network.
            If you left-click on the Network Connection icon in the System Tray, you'll see a new option:
            Mobile Broadband -> New Mobile Broadband (GSM) connection...
            Disconnect from your current network (if any), then click on that new option, and continue as follows:
            Country = United Arab Emirates
            Service provider (set it manually) = du
            APN = du
            Thanks to emiratesmac.com forums for the APN! (http://www.emiratesmac.com/forums/iphone/3496-data-settings-iphone-uae.html)