Spyware In BlackBerry Updates For Users in the UAE

  • Todd Walton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16, 2009
      Spyware In BlackBerry Updates For Users in the UAE
      http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/07/15/2012221/

      "An update pushed out to BlackBerry users on the Etisalat network in
      the United Arab Emirates appears to contain remotely-triggered spyware
      that allows the interception of messages and emails, as well as
      crippling battery life. Sent out as a WAP Push message, the update
      installs a Java file that one curious customer decided to take a
      closer look at, only to discover an application intended to intercept
      both email and text messages, sending a copy to an Etisalat server
      without the user being aware of anything beyond a slightly excessive
      battery drain."
    • dandantheitman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2009
        2009/7/16 Todd Walton <tdwalton@...>:

        > Spyware In BlackBerry Updates For Users in the UAE
        > http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/07/15/2012221/
        >
        > "An update pushed out to BlackBerry users on the Etisalat network in
        > the United Arab Emirates appears to contain remotely-triggered spyware
        > that allows the interception of messages and emails, as well as
        > crippling battery life. Sent out as a WAP Push message, the update
        > installs a Java file that one curious customer decided to take a
        > closer look at, only to discover an application intended to intercept
        > both email and text messages, sending a copy to an Etisalat server
        > without the user being aware of anything beyond a slightly excessive
        > battery drain."

        Wow. I knew that Etisalat required that they should be able to tap /
        listen into any VOIP Based PABX chatter but I had no idea they had
        decided to listen in on emails and SMSes as well. Sadness.
        Dan

        "More people are killed every year by pigs than by sharks, which shows
        you how good we are at evaluating risk."

        -Bruce Schneier
      • dandantheitman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2009
          2009/7/16 dandantheitman <dandantheitman@...>:
          > 2009/7/16 Todd Walton <tdwalton@...>:
          >>
          >> Spyware In BlackBerry Updates For Users in the UAE
          >> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/07/15/2012221/
          >>
          >> "An update pushed out to BlackBerry users on the Etisalat network in
          >> the United Arab Emirates appears to contain remotely-triggered spyware
          >> that allows the interception of messages and emails, as well as
          >> crippling battery life. Sent out as a WAP Push message, the update
          >> installs a Java file that one curious customer decided to take a
          >> closer look at, only to discover an application intended to intercept
          >> both email and text messages, sending a copy to an Etisalat server
          >> without the user being aware of anything beyond a slightly excessive
          >> battery drain."
          >>

          > Wow.  I knew that Etisalat required that they should be able to tap /
          > listen into any VOIP Based PABX chatter but I had no idea they had
          > decided to listen in on emails and SMSes as well.  Sadness.
          > Dan

          I see someone has already released a patch for it.
          http://www.blackberrynews.com/2009/07/15/patch-released-for-etisalat-spyware-on-blackberry/?utm_source=rssutm_medium=rssutm_campaign=rss

          Dan

          "More people are killed every year by pigs than by sharks, which shows
          you how good we are at evaluating risk."

          -Bruce Schneier
        • Jama I Barreh
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
            Just curious. Are there any laws in UAE against such intrusion?
            Jama

            > Spyware In BlackBerry Updates For Users in the UAE
            > http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/07/15/2012221/
            >
            > "An update pushed out to BlackBerry users on the Etisalat network in
            > the United Arab Emirates appears to contain remotely-triggered spyware
            > that allows the interception of messages and emails, as well as
            > crippling battery life. Sent out as a WAP Push message, the update
            > installs a Java file that one curious customer decided to take a
            > closer look at, only to discover an application intended to intercept
            > both email and text messages, sending a copy to an Etisalat server
            > without the user being aware of anything beyond a slightly excessive
            > battery drain."

            Wow.  I knew that Etisalat required that they should be able to tap /
            listen into any VOIP Based PABX chatter but I had no idea they had
            decided to listen in on emails and SMSes as well.  Sadness.
            Dan

            "More people are killed every year by pigs than by sharks, which shows
            you how good we are at evaluating risk."

            -Bruce Schneier

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to: