Apache weirdness!

  • profadourman
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5 11:05 AM
      Gentlemen:
      I have Apache running on Fedora 7, and I am getting some very strange
      behaviour that has me stumped. Everything works fine when I am
      working on the webserver itself and browse to http://localhost. But
      everything goes squirrelly if I use the machine name or the IP address
      *even on the webserver itself*. The error message says roughly "You
      have made a request that this web server does not understand." Total
      weirdness.

      Stuff I have checked:
      1. The firewall allows http.
      2. SELinux is set to permissive, i.e. that middle mode where it
      merely reports stuff without stopping anything.
      3. I have two network cards on the server, both with static IPs.
      (Plan is to make it a proxy server.) I can ping both NICs from the
      local machine and from a remote machine. I have tried disabling one,
      then the other, but still get the error message.

      Thanks for any help y'all can give.
      PeterH.
    • Nadeem M. Khan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6 1:11 AM
        On 11/5/07, profadourman <pheath@...> wrote:
        Everything works fine when I am
        > working on the webserver itself and browse to http://localhost. But
        > everything goes squirrelly if I use the machine name or the IP address
        > *even on the webserver itself*. The error message says roughly "You
        > have made a request that this web server does not understand."

        What happens when you do a
        dig hostname

        Here, the hostname is the machine name which gives you the error.

        Regards,
        NMK.
      • Peter Heath
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6 2:14 AM

          Tried it, got no information, but then again this server is not listed in our DNS records.

          Cheers.

          PeterH.