OT: Suggestion for Installing Linux on Dell XPS M1210

  • Bipinchandra Ranpura
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
      Dear all,

      I have to install Linux along with original XP Home on
      Laptop Dell XPS M1210, by resizing C: drive.

      Can some one tell me which will be most suitable
      distro I should select for above mentioned model. My
      concern mainly is for Wireless and Modem drivers.

      SuSE 10.1 or Ubuntu 5.1 or any other if someone has
      already tried for Dell XPS M1210.

      Thanking you,

      Bipin

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • Benaissa
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006

        Hi all

        I made 2 primary partitions

        on 1 I installed W2k  ,on the 2nd Kubuntu

        On an extended partition I created a swap partition and a logical partition

        I would like to install another Linux Suse 10.1

        Can I Install Suse on the same partition as Kubuntu  without losing the Kubuntu

        Tks

        Ben
      • Moeen A
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
          The most compatible distributions with laptops are SuSE and
          Ubuntu 6.06.
          For drivers, you can easily test it with starting up the
          Ubuntu 6.06 live CD, and test it.

          Bipinchandra Ranpura <bipin_mr@...> wrote:
          Dear all,

          I have to install Linux along with original XP Home on
          Laptop Dell XPS M1210, by resizing C: drive.

          Can some one tell me which will be most suitable
          distro I should select for above mentioned model. My
          concern mainly is for Wireless and Modem drivers.

          SuSE 10.1 or Ubuntu 5.1 or any other if someone has
          already tried for Dell XPS M1210.

          Thanking you,

          Bipin

          Do you Yahoo!?
          http://new.mail. yahoo.com

        • Brad Campbell
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
            Bipinchandra Ranpura wrote:
            > Dear all,
            >
            > I have to install Linux along with original XP Home on
            > Laptop Dell XPS M1210, by resizing C: drive.
            >
            > Can some one tell me which will be most suitable
            > distro I should select for above mentioned model. My
            > concern mainly is for Wireless and Modem drivers.
            >
            > SuSE 10.1 or Ubuntu 5.1 or any other if someone has
            > already tried for Dell XPS M1210.

            Oh for gods sakes.. Ubuntu 5.1 is positively ancient.. Install 6.06LTS or 6.10 and go hard! :)

          • Moeen A
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
              If you mean same "/" partition, no !
              Though you can use current grub to booting up both of them
              (even if the second one will be a logical partition).

              Many people who has many distributions on their harddisk, use
              a same "/home" partition for all distributions  and one "/" partition
              for each distro.

              Benaissa <b.alya@...> wrote:

              Hi all

              I made 2 primary partitions

              on 1 I installed W2k  ,on the 2nd Kubuntu

              On an extended partition I created a swap partition and a logical partition

              I would like to install another Linux Suse 10.1

              Can I Install Suse on the same partition as Kubuntu  without losing the Kubuntu

              Tks

              Ben

            • dandantheitman
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
                On 01/12/06, Bipinchandra Ranpura <bipin_mr@...> wrote:

                > Dear all,
                >
                > I have to install Linux along with original XP Home on
                > Laptop Dell XPS M1210, by resizing C: drive.
                >
                > Can some one tell me which will be most suitable
                > distro I should select for above mentioned model. My
                > concern mainly is for Wireless and Modem drivers.
                >
                > SuSE 10.1 or Ubuntu 5.1 or any other if someone has
                > already tried for Dell XPS M1210.
                >
                > Thanking you,
                >
                > Bipin

                HI Bipin,
                I would go ahead and install the windows XP home, your linux
                distribution will re-size and re-partition your hard drive.

                I am not sure about Ubuntu but the latest version of openSuSE has some
                great wireless networking stuff. Connecting to a wireless network on
                SuSE is now point and click, a lot easier than it used to be.

                The Ubuntu however is making massive inroads into the desktop market,
                and their server is is that shabby either.

                It has a better package management system as well (IMHO), this is due
                to its Debian roots.

                daN

                " They that can give up liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
                deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790
              • myIntelliSoft, Inc.
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Hi Bipin,

                  I have installed ubuntu 6.06 and upgraded it to ubuntu 6.10 and it is working great!!!
                  BTW, you can upgrade without reinstalling...

                  Wireless, Sound (except for mic!), graphics... all working fine.
                  I suggest you go ahead with that.
                  In addition, you can install many 3rd party application and you receive updates notifications whenever available.

                  Good luck!

                  Regards,
                  myIntelliSoft, Inc.
                  http://mystore.myintellisoft.com

                  PO Box: 75510
                  Dubai, UAE

                  2612 Charny Street
                  Montreal, QC H3M 1J3
                  CANADA

                  I have to install Linux along with original XP Home on
                  Laptop Dell XPS M1210, by resizing C: drive.

                  Can some one tell me which will be most suitable
                  distro I should select for above mentioned model. My
                  concern mainly is for Wireless and Modem drivers.

                  SuSE 10.1 or Ubuntu 5.1 or any other if someone has
                  already tried for Dell XPS M1210.

                  Thanking you,

                  Bipin

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  http://new.mail. yahoo.com

                  All new Yahoo! Mail -
                • Dirk Tilger
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
                    On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 07:39:24AM -0800, myIntelliSoft, Inc. wrote:
                    [...]
                    > Regards,
                    > myIntelliSoft, Inc.

                    Get yourself a name.

                    Thank you.
                    Dirk.
                    --
                    Perl's grammar can not be reduced to BNF. The work of parsing perl is
                    distributed between yacc, the lexer, smoke and mirrors. (Chaim Frenkel)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
                      I had many problems with Ubuntu Edgy (6.10), and recommend
                      to use Ubuntu Dapper instead !
                      Dapper is still more stable than Edgy.