Re: [dubailug] Got some spare stuff???

  • aLT WiZard
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi,
      Happy New Year To all...
      "I could try to get you a SGI Indy. But installing Linux there might be a
      bit more tricky than usual. And it does only have one network card.

      Dirk.

      "
      SGI Indy can use a scsi cdrom right?? I could/may figure out how to install linux on it. I would be glad if you could get me one, I am in no hurry , So take you time : ) , ThankYou..

      Dan,
      How's the weather there? It finally rained here lol, (w/ a rainbow - first one of my life lol)Do you have a little router or hub within that hardware garage of yours?? If I could get teh SGI Indy i did also need a hub / coz I will have to attach the home pc/laptop/SGI Indy to a single modem ...
      How much RAM have you got with you??
      i also wanted to know why does sd ram still cost more than ddr ram, like 200 bucks difference for a 512sd mb ram
       and 512 ddr.
      aLT
      On 12/31/05, dandantheitman <dandantheitman@...> wrote:
      On 30/12/05, aLT WiZard <altwizzy@...> wrote:

      > Hey all,
      > I wanted to run my site from a home based small server , I've got a P III
      > Family PC at home , Since its always being used on windows ( :p :p ), I was
      > wondering if any1 got a spare little Pentium 1 CPU or something??? Just
      > enough to run a small server just for a single site?? Or Does any1 have an
      > extra router or something , 50 Bucks also means a lot to me at the moment,
      > I'm saving enough to buy a DVD Writer ...
      > aLT ...

      I have loads of Ram, network cards, video cards etc kicking around.  I
      shall have a look around and see what I can come up with for ya.  I am
      in the States at the moment  but when I get back I shall do an
      inventory and let you know what stuff I have kicking around.

      Of course if Dirk is giving you an SGI... then I don't think you shall
      need the stuff.  If Dirk can't do it then let me know and I shall see
      what I can do for you.

      daN
      " They that can give up liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
      deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin 1706 - 1790

      Linux operating system Linux os Hosting linux unix web
      Free linux operating system Linux migration Linux user

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • dandantheitman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2006
        On 01/01/06, aLT WiZard <altwizzy@...> wrote:
        > Dan,
        > How's the weather there? It finally rained here lol, (w/ a rainbow - first one of my life lol)Do you have a little router or hub within that hardware garage of yours?? If I could get teh SGI Indy i did also need a hub / coz I will have to attach the home pc/laptop/SGI Indy to a single modem ...
        > How much RAM have you got with you??
        > i also wanted to know why does sd ram still cost more than ddr ram, like 200 bucks difference for a 512sd mb ram
        > and 512 ddr.
        > aLT

        Weather here is well... to sum it up Wet. In order to avoid the hub
        issue a cross over cable between the two PCS, would work just fine. I
        have about 4 or 5 sticks of SD RAM and they are 128mb Each. When I
        back to Dubai which shall be in the next few days I shall do a
        hardware inventory and let you know exactly what I have kicking
        around.

        Chances are the reasons why it still costs more, IMHO, is that the Ram
        has been phased out, moved motherboards have moved over to the DRR Ram
        so therefore there is no longer a large demand for SDRAM, so the ram
        manufacturers no longer make as much, hence the price remains high.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
          Dan,
          I've got 2 PC's at home , Laptop and Desktop, If I Get the sgi Indy, I did have to do networking between all of them...
          aLT

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
            On 03/01/06, aLT WiZard <altwizzy@...> wrote:

            > Dan,
            > I've got 2 PC's at home , Laptop and Desktop, If I Get the sgi Indy, I did have to do networking between all of them...
            > aLT

            Fair Enough, I have an old DLINK 24 port 10 / 100 Switch kicking
            around the villa, if you want you can have that to network your PCs
            together.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
              I sure would Dan :D :D ,

              On 1/3/06, dandantheitman <dandantheitman@...> wrote:
              On 03/01/06, aLT WiZard < altwizzy@...> wrote:

              > Dan,
              > I've got 2 PC's at home , Laptop and Desktop, If I Get the sgi Indy, I did have to do networking between all of them...
              > aLT

              Fair Enough, I have an old DLINK 24 port 10 / 100 Switch kicking
              around the villa, if you want you can have that to network your PCs
              together.

              daN

            • Todd Walton
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 3, 2006
                On 1/1/06, aLT WiZard <altwizzy@...> wrote:
                > SGI Indy can use a scsi cdrom right?? I could/may figure out how to install
                > linux on it.

                Let us know about it, please.

                -todd
              • Dirk Tilger
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2006
                  On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:53:16PM -0800, Todd Walton wrote:
                  > On 1/1/06, aLT WiZard <altwizzy@...> wrote:
                  > > SGI Indy can use a scsi cdrom right?? I could/may figure out how to install
                  > > linux on it.
                  >
                  > Let us know about it, please.

                  It can use SCSI CDROM, it comes with an internal controller. Using this
                  old 16bit SCSI bus. I have a fitting CDROM here, that I could lent you.

                  Dirk.
                • Dirk Tilger
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2006
                    On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:53:16PM -0800, Todd Walton wrote:
                    > On 1/1/06, aLT WiZard <altwizzy@...> wrote:
                    > > SGI Indy can use a scsi cdrom right?? I could/may figure out how to install
                    > > linux on it.
                    >
                    > Let us know about it, please.

                    http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP22
                    http://packet.node.to/hacks/sgi_howto.html

                    Dirk.
                  • aLT WiZard
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 4, 2006
                      http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/mips/ch-hardware-req.html

                      there also exists a mailing list for it.

                      Dirk,
                      Since its holidays at the moment, Im Free from School for some days,
                      Could You tell me where you live? I have a serious problem with
                      locations, Coz I live in between Satwa and Burdubai!

                      On 1/4/06, Dirk Tilger <dirk@...> wrote:
                      > On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:53:16PM -0800, Todd Walton wrote:
                      > > On 1/1/06, aLT WiZard <altwizzy@...> wrote:
                      > > > SGI Indy can use a scsi cdrom right?? I could/may figure out how to
                      > install
                      > > > linux on it.
                      > >
                      > > Let us know about it, please.
                      >
                      > http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP22
                      > http://packet.node.to/hacks/sgi_howto.html
                      >
                      > Dirk.

                      > ________________________________

                    • aLT WiZard
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 23, 2006
                        Wondering if Ubuntu would run on it easier?

                        On 1/4/06, aLT WiZard <altwizzy@...> wrote:
                        http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/mips/ch-hardware-req.html

                        there also exists a mailing list for it.

                        Dirk,
                        Since its holidays at the moment,  Im Free from School for some days,
                        Could You tell me where you live? I have a serious problem with
                        locations, Coz  I live in between Satwa and    Burdubai!

                        On 1/4/06, Dirk Tilger <dirk@...> wrote:
                        >   On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:53:16PM -0800, Todd Walton wrote:
                        >  > On 1/1/06, aLT WiZard < altwizzy@...> wrote:
                        >  > > SGI Indy can use a scsi cdrom right?? I could/may figure out how to
                        > install
                        >  > > linux on it.
                        >  >
                        >  > Let us know about it, please.
                        >
                        >  http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP22
                        >  http://packet.node.to/hacks/sgi_howto.html
                        >
                        >  Dirk.

                        >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                        >
                        >  ________________________________

                      • aLT WiZard
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                          Hi,
                          When Can I meet You ppl for the SGI Indy and/or The Switch??? Sorry for being impatient ;)
                          aLT Wizard.

                          -------------------------------------
                          CS 1.6 Under Linux Works Faster than On Windows!
                        • dandantheitman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                            On 02/02/06, aLT WiZard <altwizzy@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            > When Can I meet You ppl for the SGI Indy and/or The Switch??? Sorry for
                            > being impatient ;)
                            > aLT Wizard.

                            I am in Singapore at the moment so can't help with the switch at the moment :)

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                              On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 04:40:36PM +0400, aLT WiZard wrote:
                              > When Can I meet You ppl for the SGI Indy and/or The Switch??? Sorry for
                              > being impatient ;)

                              No SGI Indy yet. One of our partners once had a bunch of them, but
                              apparently they're all given away. I have one myself, that I could give
                              you, since it sits idle on the shelf. However, I have to check what's
                              on there before and I didn't manage to do it yet.

                              My guess is it won't happen for another month, as I'm very busy right
                              now and I'll be off Dubai for two weeks end of Feb.

                              Dirk.
                            • aLT WiZard
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 4, 2006
                                Oh ok,
                                Lemme Know When both of you are able to give them to me..
                                aLT.