Re: [dubailug] Pics from foss.in

  • Yunus Shaikh
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2005
      On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 11:40, Akshay Lamba wrote:

      > On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 16:02 +0400, Dirk Tilger wrote:
      > > I hope they feel shame for making JPEG pictures that big. ;)
      > >
      > > Dirk.
      >
      > LOL...u bet dirk. I really should have reduced the size but i was like a
      > kid in a candy shop...didn't want to take a minute extra so that I could
      > look around at foss.in
      i think this would not take a minute ;)

      for Image in *.jpg ; do convert $Image -resize 300x300 New_$Image ; done

      yunus

      > Akshay
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Name : Shaikh Yunus
      Email primary : yshaikh@...
      : yshaikh@...
      Encrypted Mail Preferred
      PGP ID : 0xA7B0AB1D
      Fingerprint = 384E B543 F594 6DCA 358D F646 A3A8 0A65 A7B0 AB1D

      PRIVACY WARNING: For auditing purposes, a copy of this message has been
      saved in a permanent database.
    • Todd Walton
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
        On 11/30/05, Akshay Lamba <akshay@...> wrote:
        > Some pics from foss.in

        Wow. That's an impressive palace.

        -todd
      • Dirk Tilger
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
          On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 12:55:30PM +0530, Yunus Shaikh wrote:
          > On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 11:40, Akshay Lamba wrote:
          >
          > > On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 16:02 +0400, Dirk Tilger wrote:
          > > > I hope they feel shame for making JPEG pictures that big. ;)
          > > >
          > > > Dirk.
          > >
          > > LOL...u bet dirk. I really should have reduced the size but i was like a
          > > kid in a candy shop...didn't want to take a minute extra so that I could
          > > look around at foss.in
          > i think this would not take a minute ;)
          >
          > for Image in *.jpg ; do convert $Image -resize 300x300 New_$Image ; done

          Oh, there are other options then just resizing the image. The reduction
          of the image size is not as effective with JPEG as increasing the
          compression ratio.

          JPEG transcodes images to a digitized set of wave samples. By dropping
          the least significant parts of the wave parameters the images gets some
          small errors, but becomes much smaller.

          By bringing the image closer to a wave (i.e. reducing the pixel-to-pixel
          contrast) using a "gaussian blur" or "softening" filter you can further
          increase the compression ratio.

          I have usually enough phantasy to be comfortable with a 100k size for
          real world JPEG images of any size. ;)

          Dirk.
          --
          There are two major products that come from Berkeley : LSD and UNIX.
          We don't believe this to be a coincidence. (Jeremy S. Anderson)
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
            On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 00:25 -0800, Todd Walton wrote:
            > On 11/30/05, Akshay Lamba <akshay@...> wrote:
            > > Some pics from foss.in
            >
            > Wow. That's an impressive palace.

            You bet! The conference was in the gardens adjoining the palace, however
            the ballroom of the palace was also being used as a conference room for
            some of the talks (Mine happened there). Really takes you back in
            history as you walk into the palace.

            Akshay