Re: [dubailug] Evolution mail client

  • Manu Abraham
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 12:43 AM
      cGull wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > Is Evolution closed-source? Is it not free?. I currently use

      Evolution is open source and is the default mail client under Gnome and
      is free too. The only catch is that you have to install gnome.

      > Thunderbird but its really primitive and doesnt have calendar and task
      > support. Can anyone point me to something better.

      If you need something else, try kmail/kontact. Kontact has what you need..

      After going through a couple of mail clients, the last one that i tried
      was Thunderbird (still using that, find it hard to move back large
      volumes of email data), but feel that kmail was a bit better. Eventhough
      i fet that kmail was a bit better, even kmail had it's own set of
      problems, evolution too.

      All these apps are changing quite fast, so the problems what had been
      there earlier, probably most of them would've been fixed too.

      Manu
    • Init Killer
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 12:56 AM

        cGull <cgull@...> wrote:

        Hi

        Is Evolution closed-source?  Is it not free?.  I currently use
        Thunderbird but its really primitive and doesnt have calendar and task
        support.  Can anyone point me to something better.

        Yup! its opensource. Its nice, except for a few problems.

        1. It gives an error when you login as foo and try to access bar's email. The error is repairable, though.

        2. Although trivial, doesn't let you copy-paste text in some locations.

        As Manu said, there are lots of other options, from the classic pine or mutt to Kmail, et al.

        Regards,

        Nadeem.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • dandantheitman
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 2:34 AM
          On 5/1/05, cGull <cgull@...> wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > Is Evolution closed-source? Is it not free?. I currently use
          > Thunderbird but its really primitive and doesnt have calendar and task
          > support. Can anyone point me to something better.
          >
          > cGull

          HI have to agree with Manu on this. I use Kmail & Kontact. You
          could try downloading Sunbird, which is the calender and task list
          application by mozilla.

          daN
          " Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few
          pips in it,
          and some folks have half a one for breakfast. "
          - Douglas Adams
        • Todd Walton
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1 2:49 PM
            On 5/1/05, cGull <cgull@...> wrote:

            > 2. Although trivial, [Evolution] doesn't let you copy-paste text in some locations.

            It's not trivial! It's a pain! It seems like copy and paste would be
            one of the simplest things to do.

            -todd
          • cGull
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2 1:18 AM

              > HI have to agree with Manu on this. I use Kmail & Kontact. You
              > could try downloading Sunbird, which is the calender and task list
              > application by mozilla.
              >
              > daN

              I dont think sunbird reads vcalendar content sent by Outlook tasks when
              an Outlook user sends meeting invitations.
              I am thinking of writing a plug-in to thunderbird or just hacking it
              directly

              cGull