Re: [dubailug] Please Confirm

  • Tarek Mastouri
    Message 1 of 57 , Aug 30, 2004
      Confirmation :
      I will be there if my kernel don't panic.

      -- Tarek Mastouri
      The pingouin in the desert.
    • Mohammed Elzubeir
      Message 57 of 57 , Sep 7, 2004
        --- Imed Chihi <ichihi@...> wrote:

        > John,
        >
        > What Christopher is assuming is correct, in Linux name
        > services are controlled via /etc/nsswitch.conf (we owe
        > this invention to Sun :) and authentication is
        > controlled via the Pluggable Authentication Modules or
        > PAM (we owe them this one too :).
        >
        > All the FTP servers I happened to come accross on
        > Linux use PAM for authentication, and would,
        > therefore, authenticate against LDAP if PAM is
        > configured to do so.

        Correct. The problem here is the requirement in itself.

        "I want to be able to run the same way I do on the pavement, but I want to do
        it in the ocean."

        Despite the fact that you can move from A to B under water or on land, it is
        a whole different paradigm. You have to think very differently. For example,
        a 'server with a good user interface' in itself makes no sense to me. Servers
        don't have any substantial user interfaces. In fact, the client is what has a
        user interface.

        What I am saying is, you are still stuck in a way of thinking that will make
        it very difficult for you to achieve (and become satisfied) with a solution
        under a system like Linux. Think differently. Think, I want to have my users
        authenticate via LDAP using a secure ftp server. With that in mind, you can
        figure out how it can be done and yes, it can be done with all servers you
        have listed.

        Regards,
        Mohammed Elzubeir

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush