Re: [DU-WATCH] Response from Roger Helbig

  • ied@igc.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24 1:37 PM
      oops. they are back.

      -----Original Message-----

    • ernest.meyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24 2:55 PM
        Thank you all for your encouragement. SAL certainly welcomes your
        support, and I personally am very honored to be a member of this club.

        At the same time, and as a newcomer to this arena, SAL does not aim
        to terrorize people with horrors and exaggerations. Instead SAL
        offers peacable reaction, even in situations where antagonism has
        been a precedent, even to Mr. Helbig, and to promote truthful
        reportage as a way to increase public awareness. Can the radioactive
        contamination be measured, localized, and gradually contained through
        cooperation and collaboration with the U.S. government? SAL proposes
        working with the military to collect and properly dispose of DU
        within the field of operations, rather than escalating the debate
        through confrontation.
      • Cathy Garger
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26 2:39 PM
          Way to go, Ernest, for vowing not to terrorize people!

          Just remember, if you would, please? Uranium munitions are not just used in the Middle East and Somalia. They are not just used on military training areas and proving grounds. The Dept. of Energy freely admits that it is exploded in the open air in 5 locations. Your area happens to be near one location.

          So, personally, I do feel that blasting Depleted Uranium within 100 miles of 10 million people - soon to increase by 800 percent if the Livermore Lab gets its way -is actually a rather horrible thing (with no exaggeration necessary).

          Most people, when told that DU is being blasted inside the US, only about 40 or so miles away from San Francisco, look shocked and say, "What?! You're kidding, aren't you?!"

          Sacramento's roughly about 50 miles or so from the outdoor Site 300 blast area. So your city is within the 50 mile radius of the open air radiological and chemical blasts where your air and your wine is monitored for radioactive tritium. As you may have read, many scientists agree there is no dose at which any level of radiation is considered a safe dose. In other words, even a little tritium in your grapes is *not* a good thing.

          No, sadly Ernest, the radiation you're inhaling from Depleted Uranium and Tritium at Site 300 can not be accurately measured, contained, nor localized. It is exploded into the air and travels through the atmosphere, depending on wind direction. Sometimes it might blow up towards Sacramento, other days, not.

          Good luck in your endeavors with Livermore. I have told that, curiously, Tri Valley CARES, an anti-radiation group in the area, has not filed any legal suit against Livermore Laboratory for DU and tritium explosions at site 300... even though the Lab has been detonating DU in the open air near them for roughly 50 years.

          Perhaps you and your group can find another way out of the radiation madness that has been going on there since 1953. If you can? No less than 10 million in your area will breathe a whole lot easier because of your efforts - not to mention the rest of us who breathe the same air, too.

          No terror. No exaggerations. But is DU blasted in your face for 50 years horrifying? I'd say yes. To me, it truly is.

          Cathy Garger

          "ernest.meyer" <ernest.meyer@...> wrote:
          Thank you all for your encouragement. SAL certainly welcomes your
          support, and I personally am very honored to be a member of this club.

          At the same time, and as a newcomer to this arena, SAL does not aim
          to terrorize people with horrors and exaggerations. Instead SAL
          offers peacable reaction, even in situations where antagonism has
          been a precedent, even to Mr. Helbig, and to promote truthful
          reportage as a way to increase public awareness. Can the radioactive
          contamination be measured, localized, and gradually contained through
          cooperation and collaboration with the U.S. government? SAL proposes
          working with the military to collect and properly dispose of DU
          within the field of operations, rather than escalating the debate
          through confrontation.

          Help the US become Radiation Free by 2033!
          www.radiation.org

          Cathy Garger
          www.mytown.ca/garger