MFCC and LPC vocoder.Pls help

  • ZMing
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2007
      Hi..
      I've know the steps to generate MFCC coeffcients.

      I'm wondering what do these coefficients represent?
      They represent the envelope of the signal.Am i right?
      Does that mean they represent the amplitude of the speech accordingly?

      Does LPC vocoder better than MFCC for speech recognition?
      I've know that MFCC is better than LPC and LPCC..but not sure about
      LPC vocoder. As i've input into the neural network. It seems tat LPC
      vocoder is more accurate than MFCC.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Abhishek Ballaney
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
        Dear ZMing,

        MFCCs represent audio. They represent the spectrum of a spectrum. The frequency bands are positioned logarithmically (on the mel scale) which approximates the human auditory system's response more closely than the linearly-spaced frequency bands obtained directly from the FFT or DCT. MFCCs cannot represent perceived loudness accurately.

        They do represent the frequency spectrum of the signal. Don't know much about vocoders, so can't answer your other questions.

        Regards,
        abhishek

        ZMing <jo_nsm@...> wrote: Hi..
        I've know the steps to generate MFCC coeffcients.

        I'm wondering what do these coefficients represent?
        They represent the envelope of the signal.Am i right?
        Does that mean they represent the amplitude of the speech accordingly?

        Does LPC vocoder better than MFCC for speech recognition?
        I've know that MFCC is better than LPC and LPCC..but not sure about
        LPC vocoder. As i've input into the neural network. It seems tat LPC
        vocoder is more accurate than MFCC.

        Thanks in advance.