Another Sad Day for Drive-In Fans

  • drive_in_theatres
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2008
      I found this headline on the front page of the Great Falls Tribune. (I
      will post it)
      Unfortunately I dont have any way to acquire the rest of the paper.
      Only the front page is listed online. Anyway the SAD News: After 64
      years the Westernaire Drive-In in Lewistown, MT is down to its last 2
      shows. I live about 550 km (340 mi) north of Lewistown and only
      attended there once. It is a classic 1940s outdoor theatre that still
      featured a few rows of speakers along with FM sound. The Saturday we
      were there in 2003 the entire lot was full. Complete with teenagers on
      lawnchairs alongside the original speakers that blared away. I will add
      the kids in Lewistown were as well behaved as I have seen anywhere.

      Its hard to believe the Westernaire is leaving us since it was the only
      Drive-In that I have ever seen at full capacity.

      A moment of silence on Sunday in its honor.

      Rocky Vossler
    • drive_in_theatres
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2008
        Well I found another article on the Western Aire. It seem the family
        hasnt even listed the property for sale. It is just economic reality
        setting in. Another fact that was pointed out was the movie
        distributors unwillingness to co-operate with the owners of Drive-
        Ins. Now really for the sake of a great American (and Canadian)
        tradition are a few movies played on a few outdoor screens really
        gonna kill Hollywood.

        Its with a tear in my eye that I am posting the next 2 articles in
        Photos under Misc. Check them out.

        --- In driveinmoviemadness@yahoogroups.com, drive_in_theatres