Azusa Foothill now= CA historic resource

  • azusadriveinfriends
    Message 1 of 299 , Feb 1, 2002
      Today, the highly endangered Azusa Foothill
      became an official California historical resource! I
      just want to say THANK YOU!!!!! to everyone on the
      list who sent letters of support to the state - we
      couldn�t have done it without you! <br><br>I�ve included
      the text of the Los Angeles Conservancy�s press
      release below. As it indicates, this doesn�t mean the
      fight to save the drive-in is over, but this is a
      *huge* victory for us, one that makes our chances much
      greater. It gives us real negotiating power, while Azusa
      Pacific University, which wants to tear the drive-in
      down, now has legal hassles in its way. I�ll keep you
      updated on our continued progress with negotiations, etc.
      Conservancy <br>Friends of the Azusa Foothill Drive-in
      Calif. � This afternoon, the State Historical Resources
      Commission voted unanimously to officially designate the
      Azusa Foothill Drive-In Theatre as a California
      historical resource. Today�s decision culminates a
      seven-month effort to gain official historic status for this
      rare, intact emblem of the famed mid-century car
      culture that helped define Southern California. The Azusa
      Foothill is the first drive-in to become a California
      historical resource. <br><br>The single-screen, 1600-car
      drive-in is located at 675 E. Foothill Boulevard in Azusa,
      CA. In August 2001, in an effort to protect this
      historic Route 66 landmark and endangered cultural icon,
      the Los Angeles Conservancy nominated the Azusa
      Foothill Drive-in Theatre for inclusion on the California
      Register of Historical Resources. The local community,
      drive-in enthusiasts, roadside architecture experts,
      preservation professionals, and Route 66 aficionados from
      across the nation submitted hundreds of letters of
      support for the nomination. <br><br>Still in operation
      until last December, the drive-in is currently owned by
      Azusa Pacific University, who plans to demolish the
      theater and expand its campus onto the lot. In light of
      the designation, the Conservancy hopes to be able to
      work with the City of Azusa, Azusa Pacific University,
      and the local community in order to negotiate a
      feasible preservation alternative, as the Conservancy did
      recently with Pacific Theatres� unique Cinerama Dome
      Theatre on Sunset Boulevard in Los
      Angeles.<br><br>Because California Register listing requires consent of
      the property owner and Azusa Pacific University had
      opposed the designation, Friday�s vote made the Drive-In
      officially eligible for listing. However, the Commission�s
      official determination of eligbility has precisely the
      same legal effect as a listing itself: the site
      becomes designated as a �historical resource� under the
      law, and demolition of the Drive-In now cannot occur
      without the preparation of a full Environmental Impact
      Report (EIR) that explores the feasibility of
      preservation alternatives.
      Message 299 of 299 , Apr 13 2:09 PM
        charging for the Groups. I got a petition on it. If so, you might
        want to keep the following info handy since the link is a drive-in
        orientated crowd:

        > If you can't get the answer here, I'd say sign up
        > for the Joe Bob Briggs "Tightcircle" (which is a
        > round robin forum that comes to you via
        > email)<br><br>check out the link at
        target=new>http://www.joebob-briggs.com</a><br>for more
        information.<br><br>For an invite to the
        > Tightrcircle, go
        > to<br><a href=http://www.joebob-briggs.com/mailinglist.html
        target=new>http://www.joebob-
        they talk a lot about