AL-JAMAL AND THE SCARS OF WAR

  • being fair
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2007
      THE STREET M IMBAR Khutbah (27 July 2007)
      e-mail: khutbahs@... webpage: www.geocities.com/khutbahs
      Suggestions & Criticisms: PLEASE E-MAIL
      It is in such a manner that We make plain our signs so that the course of the
      criminals may become clear.
      Bismillah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem.
      Alhumdulillah. Peace and blessings on Muhammad (sallalahu alaihi wa sallam), his Noble Companions and Family.
      Brothers and Sisters- Muslims on As-Siraat Al-Mustaqeem....

      AL-JAMAL AND THE SCARS OF WAR
      We begin this khutbah by invoking the following words of Allah
      Oh Our Sustainer You have accommodated everything with Your Grace and with Your knowledge therefore pardon those who have repented and followed your course and spare them the affliction of the fire as well as those who belong to them- being their mates, spouses- and cause them to enter into a wide Paradise which you have promised them, their spouses and their offspring; for You are immune and You are wise (Surah Ghafir verse 7)
      We invoke this du’a before we enter into the divisive portion of history as it has been relayed to us by those who try to do an accurate job of writing and chronicling history as opposed to those who were writing it for the powers that be or their personal interests. Brothers and sisters committed Muslims, in the previous khutbah we spoke about the winding down and the ending of the battle Al-Jamal and we ended the khutbah with concentrating on the behavior and the communication between Ali (radi Allahu anhu) and Ummul Mu’mineen Aa’isha (radi Allahu anha). She professed that the affair of ruling the Muslims is in the hands of Ali and she asked him to show a degree of courteous pardon, which of course he did. He said to her may Allah forgive you and she said to him and may He forgive you also. We realize that even though the differences were as serious as to involve the casualties of thousands and thousands of Muslims, we could not sense in this encounter even an appearance of hatred. Remember, it is this hatred that people nowadays who are trying to provoke among Muslims- specifically in the same area and country that we are speaking about 1,400 years ago. Ali remained three days before entering Al-Basra. It was probably meant to be a cooling down period for the many Muslims who have lost dear ones in this war among the Muslims. When he did go into Al-Basra, he went directly into the Masjid in Al-Basra and he met face to face and one to one with the Muslims in the Masjid. There were expressions of concern for what had happened; there were gestures of reconciliation among the Muslims but there wasn’t any feelings of hatred and hostilities even though the two sides of the Muslims went through the bloody day that they went through. We are surprised when we understand the quality of human beings who carried on in those days as compared or contrasted with the types of human beings that we have today who seem to say that they belong to any one of these two sides all the way back then. Then, Ali leaves the Masjid along with some of his companions and he goes to what in the nature of those times and days is considered to be the most elaborate residence in Al-Basra, a house that belonged to Abdullah Al Khazaa’i or Al-Khuzaai. The reason he went there is because Ummul Mu’mineen Aa’isha was being protected there on instruction from Ali himself. As he entered this elaborate or plush residence, there was a lady who obviously felt the affects of that war because members of her family were killed in that war. Her name is Safiyyah Al Addariyah. When Ali entered that residence she said to him the following words: (we will quote, verbatim, what she said because it is telling of the depth of resentment and the sorrow that had consumed some people) which means something like this… She’s saying to Ali you the killer of loved ones; you the divider of the consensus of people may Allah render your children orphans the same way you rendered the children of Abdillah or our family as orphans. Ali heard this, but he didn’t respond to her. He kept on his way until he reached to Aa’isha and he had a conversation with her in which he mentioned that there was a person who I haven’t seen for many many long years ever since she was young and she had words of humiliation that were expressed on my approach to you. Then, there was an exchange of words in which basically Aa’isha expressed her concern for those who were handicapped and injured by this war. There must have been hundreds of Muslims who were trying to heal from the physical wounds of this war and she expressed to Ali her concern for these war injured Muslim warriors. Of course he was also concerned for their lives and he also gave his word that they will be tended to in the best possible way given the circumstances. Imagine- Muslims or think- here are two individuals whose differences they attempted to sort out through a war that claimed (whether it’s) 10,000 or 20,000, (we don’t have the exact number but we know for sure that the casualties of this war were in the thousands) and then on Ali’s way out, the same lady repeated to him the same thing and once again he did not bother to respond to her in the same manner but he did say the following: Ali knew behind these doors were the injured people that Aa’isha was speaking to him about so he told this lady with foul language in the best courteous words that I am prepared to open these doors and deal with the people behind them. At this moment when this woman heard what he said she turned silent. She didn’t say anything else; she stopped immediately. There were those though with the companions of Ali who were seeing or observing all of this happening so some of them could not restrain themselves so what did they do? They addressed themselves to her, also in sharp language and they were rebuked by Ali because they were threatening her. He said to them in the previous wars we had with the Mushrikeen we did not threaten Mushrikaat- women who belonged to the Mushrikeen- these are Muslim women, (we’re paraphrasing this) how dare you threaten Muslim women?! Compare or juxtapose that behavior and lofty quality with the types of attitudes and the internal thoughts that are spoken in certain circles among today’s so called Sunnis and so called Shi’is. You find that there really isn’t a comparison; the distance is vast. Ali leaves and he goes back to the Masjid and to the public. This is very important behavior to observe- a military commander and an Islamic leader who had been through the first war in which Muslims kill Muslims and he is not a person to step out of the public domain. It was like he felt normal being with the public. You also compare that quality of character with some of the Muslims now who think that they belong to him but who cannot or do not feel comfortable in the presence of Muslims who do not see things their way. How come?! Ali felt comfortable being in the midst; in the public eye; amongst the congregation of Muslims inside the Masjid from which his adversaries came. Why we ask?! People don’t understand him?! He goes back to the Masjid and people come to him and give him their bai’ah or reinstate to him their bai’ah. He said my behavior or policy towards Al-Basra is equivalent to the behavior or policy of the Prophet towards Makkah. Obviously, he had to amnesty many of these people who showed that they disagreed with him before that bloody day in Islamic history and he began the healing process. He was very much concerned with healing these bloody bodies and these bleeding hearts; they needed a cooling down period and he exerted himself to do precisely that so that he may now consolidate the forces that he had and proceed towards those (meaning those who were at Ash-Shaam) who refused to acknowledge an Islamic leadership and an Islamic central authority represented by Ali and Al-Madinah and what it stood for. There was an issue here after the war- as is the case with after effects of war. What happens to the booty of this war? There were two sides that were fighting- there is a winning side and a losing side, how do the winners claim the spoils of war? There were those who said and tried to justify gaining the spoils of this war from their Muslim brethren who lost in this war. Ali said No! Whatever is here or available from the consequences of their loss in the war is to be dispersed among all Muslims; which gained recognition to the other side that it is equally as Islamic as they are. They differed on a political matter but that does not mean that the rules of Islam are annulled and it doesn’t mean that the Muslims are going to consider the Muslims they disagreed with (all the way to the war front) as lesser Muslims. This is exactly the area that today’s imperialists and zionists are trying to work up within the Muslim context when they are behind fueling  this issue of takfir.  Remember, this battle took place for us (number one) to learn and (number two) not to commit fatal mistakes in this 1st battle, in what may be called an Islamic civil war. There was no opinion worthy of it that claimed that the opposite Muslim is a kafir. We didn’t see it; we didn’t hear about it; why are they trying to bring in this issue and convince Muslims that other Muslims are kafirs? They are willing to impose this issue on anyone who’s going to fall prey to it. If you’re a Sunni and you think the other Muslim is not a Sunni is a kafir, you will find imperialists and zionists who will support you, finance and arm you to the detriment of the rest of the Muslims and this is applicable to any Muslim whether he is a Sunni, Shi’i, an Ibaadi, a Zaydi or whomever he maybe. If he is listening to the voices of a Ash-Shaitaan the voices of Ash-Shaitaan want Muslims divided today. They want Muslims to kill each other today. There is no legitimacy and no justification for Muslims today to kill others claiming that they are not Muslims. We are all in this together
      Oh Allah spare us this agony and the suffering because we are committed Muslims.
      This interaction between Ali and Ummul Mu’mineen Aa’isha, by any measure and according to any historical reference did not and cannot generate a hostility among Muslims today to have them rationalize a civil war in Iraq, Yemen, Lebenon, Afghanistan, Pakistan or in any other place. We are not going to learn our Islam and our history from those who are most intense in hostility to the committed Muslims- Al-Yahud and Al-Mushrikeen (Surah Al-Maa’idah verse 82)-we refuse to swallow their propaganda that they want today among us. Let us accompany Ali and Aai’sha Ummul Mu’mineen further and listen to what they had to say about this. When that one day war was concluded and there were 10,000 or more casualties of that war on the outskirts of Al-Basra (remember it’s the same bleeding Basra of today) and they were speaking to each other and expressing their heart felt comments on what had happened, what did Aa’isha say? She began to repeat the ayah in the Qur’an in which Allah says
      and stay in your houses and do not display yourselves like during the times of ignorance (Surah Al-Ahzaab verse 33)
      and she would weep. It is reported that her tears soaked her kheemar regretting what had happened at Al-Jamal. She said I wish I seized to exist 20 years before this day, meaning before the day of Jamal. She also said I wish I would have had the choice and made up my mind to exclude myself from that day of Al-Jamal, that would have been more preferable to her than having ten children from the Prophet of Allah. You tell us that this is not an expression of regret for what happened?! Obviously it is. Ali also said had I known that this affair would have gone to this extent I would not have embarked upon it. This is a statement meaning he did not know that the Muslims were going to show this type of failure among themselves for him to become part of it;  and we, the Muslims, today- it’s as if none of this happened- no Imam is speaking about this in their khutbahs; and no Islamic intellectuals or scholars are explaining this critical part of our history so that we do not repeat it. If we do not understand it, we are going to be condemned to repeat it and these imperialist and zionist enemies who are inside our societies and on the frontiers of occupation and invasions of our land know that as long as we are close minded they are the ones that are going to fill in these minds with the concocted information that they have. Brothers and sisters committed Muslims- when this war was settled Ali treated Ummul Mu’mineen Aa’isha with all the due respect that belongs to her. There is nothing- no one can extract one statement from any Islamic source of history to show that was acrimony of any type between these two individuals. When, finally, Aa’isha was to leave Al-Basra to go back to Al-Madinah, Ali wanted her to do that, post-haste, as soon as possible. She asked him for extra days to see to it that the war injured are taken care of but when that decision was finally made and she left Al-Basra she left with a contingent of guards, both of men and women, and for the 1st day of that travel from Al-Basra westward towards Al-Madinah Ali also had his sons accompany Ummul Mu’mineen Aa’isha on the first leg of that journey back to Al-Madinah. Try to bring these facts into the lives of the today’s Muslims; you can take a look at any of the details that are in Iraq and see where is the Islamic character? Where is the quality of Islamic mannerisms among these people who say that they are Sunnis or  Shi’is? Where- we ask them- do you get your behavior from? Then- Brothers and Sisters- after Ummul Mu’mineen Aa’isha leaves Al-Basra on her way back to Al-Madinah she said to the public- if this was an unrepentant person carrying in her psychology the wounds of this war…-but no, she said to the general public the difference between me and Ali amounts to the difference that exist within a family, meaning don’t try to build on this issue into the future. She also wanted the hearts to settle down; she wanted that flared up nerves and tensions to settle.

      After she left, Ali tried to turn his attention to Al-Kufa to regroup the potential of Al-Kufa with the potential of Al-Basra because the future event is going to be the face-off with Muawiya. Muawiya is cut totally of another fiber. Here, we can take our gloves off (so to speak) because this is not a character in the league of the other characters that we were speaking about. This is not a character in the league of Az-Zubair, Talha or Aa’isha (radi Allahu anhum) or these Muhaajireen and Al-Ansaar of the Prophet’s circle. This was a person who comes out of a fighting attitude against the Prophet. His father, Abu Sufyan was the leader against the war on Islam for over two decades. His mother, also had a vengeful attitude at the war fronts. Mother and father Abu Sufyan and Umm Sufyan and their son Muawiyah was with them at the battle field, spending years and years of his life in war against Islam. This was a person who when Islam finally became the order of the day, he and his parents, said now we are Muslims. How can we equate this type of character with those who spent those same years on the other side of the war front? It can’t be done. This person, though became a Muslim, and you have to treat him as a Muslim. He was assigned as the governor of Ash-Shaam by Umar (radi Allahu anhu). For your information, we may have not mentioned this earlier, but when Uthman (radi Allahu anhu) became the ruler of the Muslims, he dismissed all the governors from their positions except Muawiyah. He was the only one left in his position and what happened? Look at Muawiyah through out the years that we are speaking about. He knew Uthman was threatened. In the last year he went to the Hajj and he met Uthman and spoke to him. He said if you want, why don’t you move from Al-Madinah and come to Ash-Shaam? Come with me where you will be safe. If Uthman was made out of the same character as Muawiyah he would have gone with him he didn’t. Muawiyah suggested to him OK- if you don’t accept that, then how about me sending a military force from Ash-Shaam to be in charge of Al-Madinah? Uthman, proving once again he’s not of the same character as Muawiyah said no! I will not except that. So, here we have Muawiyah watching all these developments at a distance from Ash-Shaam. In the final months and weeks in which Uthman needed assistance, why didn’t Muawiyah send any assistance? He didn’t because he wanted to see or inflame what he perceived to be the contradictions in Al-Hejaz so that there will be the internal power struggle and at the end he would deal with the party that has been sapped by that internal power struggle and this is what eventually was going to happen. When we begin to talk about Ali verses Muawiyah, this is not speaking like this Ali verses Aa’isha. This is (in the words of the common language) a whole new ball game. The characters were different. Ali was very conscientious when it came to bait al maal and matters and issues of justice. He was concerned with justice before everything and after everything. Muawiyah was not concerned at all with justice. He tried to ride a wave of revenge and feed that into the current of nationalism to gain power in exclusion to the consensually elected official that was agreed upon by all the Muslims. Ali had to deal with Talha, A­z-Zubair and Aa’isha- (in his words) as naqifeen- they gave their bai’ah but then they wanted to withdraw it- which brings us to an issue we haven’t thought through. Can a person give a bai’h and then withdraw it? Is not heard of! When public opinion no longer extract confidence in a leader is another issue, but for individuals to withdraw their bai’ah? This cannot happen, so he called them naqifeen; but when it came to Muawiyah and those who were duped with him he didn’t give them the same name. He didn’t say they were naqifeen he said they were qasiteen. Now, he had to deal with another set of people with another character and agenda.

      To give you an impression on the difference between these two characters, anything that was to do with bait al-maal, Ali was very keen on having it dispersed amongst the Muslims in need. It was not known that there was a hefty treasury during the time of Ali. During the time of Uthman, the Islamic treasury grew to leaps and bounds but with Ali this was not known. If there was something in bait al maal at the end of the year it would be dispersed among people who are in need and then bait al maal itself would be washed down with water and then there would be two rak’aat of appreciation to Allah performed by the Imam in bait al maal of the Muslims. Muawiyah though used to look at how can he use money to serve his political objectives. He was clever in the sense that he would try to win over people before using force by using finances- who can he win over by money and if money cannot work then he’ll use force. This was demonstrated (as we covered earlier) in the case of those who were opposing Uthman. Abu Dharr (radi Allahu anhu) was one example. They used to send Islamic political figures in all the Muslim territories Ash-Shaam, to Muawiyah and he would deal with them either through finances or force. He couldn’t take or deal with Abu Dharr because he had a credibility that went back all the way to the Prophet. Muawiyah couldn’t deal with that. He told Uthman what am I going to do? (Uthman said) Well, send him back to Al-Madinah. He was sent back to Al-Madinah in the fashion that he was sent back. Then Uthman couldn’t take him and then he exiled him to Ar-Rabdah, an area at a distance from Al-Madinah. These are two different characters- brothers and sisters- to drive the point further home; Aqeel, Ali’s brother, was in need. This is the leader of the Muslims whose brother was a poor man. He didn’t have what the average man had, so he comes to his brother, the Imam and he tells him can you give me something? I am in need; I am poor. Ali and his family, like the first two leaders of the Muslims after the Prophet, would draw only the amount that would get them by from cycle to cycle or month to month. So, he told his son Al-Hasan (radi Allahu anhu) the next time we draw our amounts from bait al maal take your uncle and buy him (in today’s words) a new suit and a new pair of shoes. That’s all he could afford or do. The same Aqeel goes to Muawiyah and he says the same thing I am a person in need. Muawiyah gives him (what we say today) 100,000 dollars. You tell us, are we speaking about characters made from the same material or here is where we begin to speak about Muslims at a divergent course?! This is what we will see more of in the coming khutbahs- insha’Allah.

      Muslims, Brothers and sisters with responsibilities and duties from on high…
      You may feel comfortable being in an area that is far away from the tension, fanaticism, self centeredness and the egos that are plunging some Muslims in communities and societies into a hardening of attitudes. This is what is dangerous about this- the more it goes on, the more the attitudes become polarized and less capable reconciliation. We say this because we feel and see the dirty hands that are trying their bloody best to have Muslims think about themselves either as Sunnis or Shi’is. You have been listening and we have been speaking for I don’t know… scores of khutbahs in the past years. Up until now, none of these people that we are speaking about were saying one person was a Sunni or the other person is a Shi’i- none of them. How come this has now become almost a religion? It’s as if a person is satisfied with being either a Shi’i or a Sunni and it is only marginal that he or she is a Muslim. All of this comes from our inability to reconsider who we are and what we did absolutely. We have been incapable of doing this and when people try to open up this subject matter they themselves- even the learned ones- begin to show their bias. Brothers and sisters- people can make mistakes; Muslims can make mistakes; sincere Muslims can make mistakes and they can make serious mistakes, but they don’t become non-Muslims because of that. Those who are non-Muslims because of their serious mistakes are those who are in positions today of authority who have sold their countries and their future generations to Ash-Shaitaan and his company of zionists and imperialists. If we can elevate our thoughts and thinking to that degree then yes, there are kafirs among us but they are not the run of the mill Muslim, the Masjid going Muslim or the average Muslim; they are the ones who are in possession of power and who have become authorities usurping the authority of Allah. This is the red line we are not supposed to cross. Stay away from it and begin- you Muslims- according to the imperialists and zionists agenda to accuse your own selves of kufr thereby opening up a war that has beginning and may not have a known end.

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.