Work dream

  • temiel@telusplanet.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2000
      Well, I had a strange dream tonight, but it wasn't obviously sexual like
      too many of my dreams have been lately ^-^. This is a good thing!

      For those who don't know/don't remember, I work for Walmart Canada in a
      "1-Hour" Photo Lab. All the people in my dream (with the exception of the
      nameless/faceless customers ^-^ j/k) are real people I work with.

      Like most of my dreams, how they start is beyond me. I remember this one
      customer trying to decide wether or not to buy something for his wife (or,
      I should say, one of his wives. That's how it came across in the dream!)
      He wasn't sure if he should buy it now or wait until later. In his
      indecision he somehow left a huge mess of dust, dirt and sawdust. The
      Manager on Duty at that time was Sandi. She's the Manager in charge of our
      SWAS (I don't know what this stands for, but suffice to say - our area of
      the store, even though the Photo Lab is a Specialty Division with our own
      manager, we are still in a SWAS unlike Pharmacy, Vision Center and
      Automotives. I don't know why, but it really bugs me.) She pulled
      Lorraine and I from the Photo Lab to clean up this dust. I remember
      Lorraine talking about how we shouldn't be doing this and if Janine (our
      manager) found out or Tony (Janine's boss, the District manager for the
      Photo Labs) found out they would flip out. Lorrain's the type of person
      who talks a LOT. She also complains a lot, but only to people who agree
      with what she's saying (so it's not like it's just her complaining, it's
      like we're complaining together)

      Anyways, I got the BIG broom that the night crew uses to sweep the floors
      and Lorrain took a smaller broom. We sweeped several hallways and then we
      mopped them afterwards. We were going to sweep the main room (This place
      was more like a house or a mall than what Walmart actually looks like.) but
      we decided against it and walked back the the lab. Sandi walked past us,
      but didn't say anything (as usual).

      When we got back to the lab, it was different than it really is in real
      life. It is designed more like a cathedral with the tills (5 or 6 of them
      rather than 2) high up so that they can see all of the customers and all of
      the customers can see them, and the machines behind the tills, hidden. The
      area for the customers to line up/wait was about the size of a small school
      gym! And it was packed full of people waiting in a curvy line like you'd
      see at an airport! There were a good 20-50 people! And more coming and
      lining up for each person that was put through on till!

      In this part of the dream, it wasn't Lorraine who was with me, it was
      Connie. Connie's the type that will complain about anything. She throws a
      fit when I'm even 5 minutes late, or if I forget the do something at night
      or anything. And yet everything she complains about, she's done herself!
      She's left once at 10 minutes to 4 when her shift was until 4:30, leaving
      only 2 people in the lab on a busy day! Needless to say, I don't like
      Connie much.

      So Connie and I see this long line of people, and we start running through
      it to get to the tills as fast as possible. We had to duck under the metal
      railings and around posts. I remember one customer laughing and saying it
      was like an obstacle course.

      When we got to the tills, Lorraine was on a till, so was Kristen. Carol
      was on one till (Carole is on courtesy desk, but when she was a cashier
      sometimes we'd ask a manager for help and they'd put Carole or one o the
      other cashiers in). Peter was also on till. (Peter was a CSM, he dosn't
      work there anymore. CSM is a Customer Service Manager, they are in charge
      of making sure tills are running, they handle problems with debits/credit
      cards, make sure the tills have change, etc. Peter has helped in the lab
      in the past too when we were busy.)

      Connie goes straight on till, I quickly check the back to see how things
      are running. I see Gil giving a speach to four old women and no one else
      in the back running the machines. I say to Gil, "Why don't you help up
      front?" I don't remember his answer. I don't remember why I didn't start
      printing and making sure film was done on time (we are supposedly 1-hour,
      but with that line.. I don't think so, even if we had -10- fully trained
      people in there!)

      I crawled over a wall. I wanted one of the middle tills. Carole was
      working on the till farthest from the line. Peter was actually running
      BOTH tills next to her, using his CSM key to make the machine accept his
      number in both machines so he could help multiple people at once. Then it
      was Lorraine, Kristen and Connie with the till closest to the line left for
      me.

      Now, in front of the till was this big wall. On my end it was so high that
      the customer couldn't stand across from me, they actually had to stand next
      to me to talk to me. So I look around the wall and say "I can help the
      next person in line!" And this gangly looking man comes up to me. He's
      going "I'm so glad you called out to me!" I'm looking at him in a way.. I
      wasn't sure if he was being sarcasting, insane, or serious. Anyways, he
      says it again. I type in his roll of film on the till and he pays with his
      Visa card. The till tries to open, but there wasn't enough space between
      the counter and the wall behind me for the till to open with me standing in
      front of it! So I squeeze out enough for the till to open, finish the
      transaction and turn towards the massive line.... and then I woke up!
      --
      Justin "Shi-Va" White

      ~Would you mind staying a normal voice in my head, not a strange voice in
      my head, thank you?~
      --Razor Zyvans (DLewis' Character)
      Isles of Myth: A Star Ocean Story

      "We all create God in our own image."
      --Decker to Kirk on V'ger's assumption that its creator is a machine
      Star Trek: The Motion Picture

      "...and then my therapist said something after years of therapy that made
      me break down into tears: 'No hablo ingles'."
      --Cynthia Ninniane

      ICQ UIN: 48753536

      My webpage - Shiva's Dreaming
      SaGa Frontier Worldbook, Magic: the Gathering RPG and more...
      http://members.xoom.com/temiel/index.html
    • Polly Wog
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2000
        Temiel -- agh -- nearly a nightmare -- it almost sounds like you spent more
        time at work in your sleep that night than you did at work while awake!
        Sometimes I want to think about people's dreams a little before responding,
        and I'd like to think about yours a little more. But I wanted to say I
        rarely dream about work; if I do, it is work people in my home or other
        non-work situations. Once I dreamt about my computer -- I was kind of
        inside it, drifting around with the numbers. Well, I hope your waking work
        day goes better than your dreaming work night! LOL Polly

> [...]
        >front of it! So I squeeze out enough for the till to open, finish the
        >transaction and turn towards the massive line.... and then I woke up!
        >--
        >Justin "Shi-Va" White
        >
        >~Would you mind staying a normal voice in my head, not a strange voice in
        >my head, thank you?~
        >--Razor Zyvans (DLewis' Character)
        >Isles of Myth: A Star Ocean Story
        >
        >"We all create God in our own image."
        >--Decker to Kirk on V'ger's assumption that its creator is a machine
        >Star Trek: The Motion Picture
        >
        >"...and then my therapist said something after years of therapy that made
        >me break down into tears: 'No hablo ingles'."
        >--Cynthia Ninniane
        >
        >ICQ UIN: 48753536
        >
        >My webpage - Shiva's Dreaming
        >SaGa Frontier Worldbook, Magic: the Gathering RPG and more...

      • Bri'ana
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2000
          Hi Justin,

          Hmmmm where to begin.

          <<I remember this one customer trying to decide.........
          left a huge mess of dust, dirt and sawdust.>> This is
          simple.....what are you being indecisive or unsure about?
          Whatever it is, you are creating a bigger mess with your
          indecisiveness. It is like it's raining and you have a leaky
          roof and can't decide what to put under the leak to catch
          the water.....the longer it takes you to decide the more
          water will go on the floor. It's that sort of thing.
          Something you might keep putting off or thinking a lot
          about, but not doing anything about. The more you think
          about it the more water goes on the floor. Whatever this is
          has to do with one of your female aspects.....nurturing,
          emotions, creativity, intuitiveness.....or something else
          that might be attributed to your female side.

          Being that you are at work the whole time in the dream could
          mean that it is something that you are working on and you
          know what it is I am speaking of. Could also indicate that
          this decision has something to do with work in some way.

          Cleaning in this dream could represent that you are doing a
          mental cleaning job as part of the way you are making this
          decision. Hallways are a way to get from one place to
          another and they could represent various plans you are
          thinking about and cleaning them would be like double
          checking to see if they will work as hoped or to see if you
          have left anything out or overlooked anything. Mopping
          indicates that there is some level of emotions (water) going
          on here as well.

          The great numbers of people at the photo counter are
          probably various aspects of yourself that are not helping
          you make this decision. Things like various fears,
          insecurities, concerns, or other things that are keeping you
          from deciding. But you are above all of them when you are at
          your till. Even though you can't see them at that time, you
          are aware of them. But beng above them is like giving
          yourself Power over them and it's like letting you know that
          You are in charge. You don't have to allow all these aspects
          to run your life or make this decision for you. You are
          above them and being above them you can see how they are
          making things difficult for you.

          Good Luck in making your decision.
          ;)
          Bri'ana

          Sponsor -------------------------~-~>
          >eGroups eLerts
          >It's Easy. It's Fun. Best of All, it's Free!

        • Polly Wog
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2000
            Justin, sorry it took me so long to respond to your dream. When I came back
            and re-read it, the thing that struck me is that your dream is about
            responsibility and judgment, and making decisions under pressure, in an
            environment where there are a lot of rules and consequences for choices you
            might make. Is Walmart like this to work at -- a ton of rules, and
            situations where you have to choose to break the rules? Or, is something in
            your life like this right now? Polly