Fw: No Thanks to Thanksgiving .. A teachable moment

  • nathaniel x vance
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2012
      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: FinalCall.com News <newsalerts1@...>
        Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:38 AM
      Subject: No Thanks to Thanksgiving .. A teachable moment
      FinalCall.com News
       This email is sponsored by StoreFinalCall.com - Where Knowledge is the Key!

      National News

      (FinalCall.com) - Family gatherings around massive feasts, excessive shopping sprees, and expressions of gratitude are the traditional things associated with Thanksgiving but a dark history of atrocities and exploitation imposed on Native Americans and enslaved Africans still remains hidden, indigenous activists say.

      The Thanksgiving myth perpetuated each year is that Pilgrims, Puritans and others came to America in search of religious freedom, but these settlers actually forced others to join their religion, observed Marilyn Vann, president of the Descendants of the Five Civilized Tribes Association.
      "It is good for people to be thankful, meet with family and friends and worship God. But the Europeans' society was not good for people of color and the reality historically is that when they came into power, they killed others and set up a society that enslaved people of color," Mrs. Vann told The Final Call.
      Every year the United American Indians of New England mark a National Day of Mourning. Participants fast from sundown the day before through the afternoon on Thanksgiving to mourn their ancestors, genocide committed against their people, and theft of their land.
      Read the full FinalCall.com article..

      Related news:

      Newly Released Messages In MP3 Format:
      The Platform to Free Our Schools, Tennessee State University (Nov. 2) Let There Be Peace On Earth And Let It Begin With Me (Oct. 28) Address at Bowie State University's "I Am" Lecture Series (Oct. 26)
      Guidance for Our President And Our Nation Parts 1 & 2
      The Modern Mis-Education of Our Youth, Southern University (Oct. 3)
      Do for Self!

      SUPPORT TRUTH! @ http://Store.FinalCall.com

      Like us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter
      This email was sent to broali4xa@... by newsalerts1@... |
      FinalCall.com - National Center | 7351 South Stony Island Ave. | Chicago | IL | 60649