X-Night

  • oconnor
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      Hi again X-Night,

      It sounds like you may not be getting enough sleep or that your sleeping
      patterns are all messed up or both due to your work schedule? Also, you
      mentioned that you are feeling depressed and it is not my business to pry or
      be nosey so I would just suggest getting in touch with your feelings.
      Finding out why you are feeling blue and do something to fight it or
      overcome it. Maybe try to go out with some friends or pick up a class or
      new hobby or anything that will bring you happiness. I think it is great
      that you want to learn from your dreams and try to get your dreams started.
      I think that is a great start. You WANT to learn. I know for me, I was a
      lot like Brandy in that I would remember my dreams every so often and then
      go for a period of time where I wouldn't remember and now since I have made
      more of a conscious awareness to myself and started a dream journal and
      started reading and doing excercises I remember my dreams almost every night
      now. And this has all happened in just a very short time. Here is some
      info that may help you. I hope it will anyway. Maybe take up yoga or
      meditation or both to help you relax. I have been doing yoga for quite a
      few years now and I cannot say enough about it. It is just wonderful!

      http://members.aol.com/Aarenka/vision.html Here is a great link for tips on
      lucid dreaming. That is a dream where you are aware that you are dreaming
      and can manipulate your dreams. I have never done it before but alot of
      folks on here have. The excercises apply to all dreams though as far as
      helping one to remember their dreams.

      Dream Central's Unique Method of Dream Analysis

      ----
      A new approach..

      It must be made clear from the start that anyone who is interested in
      remembering their dreams, and understanding them, is free to do so. You are
      not required to possess any psychic abilities, or prestigious degrees!
      Interpreting dreams can be done by anyone willing to simply learn how. It is
      not very hard to do and does not require much of your time, nor is there any
      really intense study to do. The method I am about to outline for you is
      perhaps one of the easiest and effective ways to remember and analyze your
      own dreams. As you follow this outline you will grow more effective in time,
      as practice increases your success rate rather dramatically. There is
      nothing spooky or ritualistic to do, in fact I believe you will find it
      quite logical!

      Just like learning to drive a car, or tying your shoes hangs with you, this
      too will be something that in time you will be able to do quite naturally.
      Dreams are a vehicle in which your mind communicates ideas, warnings and
      health issues. Sometimes they even communicate the future! By using this
      technique and following a few simple rules, even the most stubborn "I never
      dream (grumble grumble)" types can do it. Just bear in mind that your own
      perceptions take precedence over any definitions in dream dictionaries. The
      dream dictionary that I have wrote and is now on line, contains only the
      most common generic definitions. Your own perceptions are always better.

      Dreams are not a way avoid facing your difficulties, in fact you hit them
      head on. You can choose how you want to use this new tool anyway you wish.
      You can use your dreams as a passing sort of entertainment, or you can elect
      to use them regularly as an aid to you in your journey through life.

      The First Step, The Tools You Need...

      If you are seasoned at dream interpretation I know you heard this before...
      Get a notebook! (groan) Lots of you do not like the idea of writing down
      everything you dream about, but unfortunately it is necessary. No this is
      not unique, but I have never found a system of remembering or analysing
      dreams that did not include this step. There IS an alternative, and it is
      what I use. Get a small mini cassette recorder know as a dictaphone. This
      you keep by your bed like the notebook, only you speak into it instead of
      writing them down. This takes some getting used to, and may disorient users
      of notebooks, but it is superior in this regard.

      You can speak faster then you can write.
      More detail, less work scrawling in the dark, so you can say more.
      You can analysis your own tone of voice.
      Speaking requires less concentration so your recall is better.
      Thought you were going to get out of writing anything down, didn't you? :)
      Not a chance! You still need the notebook because later on you need to
      transfer the stuff from the tape to the book so you can analysis it and make
      notes. But this way is much easier and effective then sticking with the
      notebook only.

      Keeping a notebook beside your bed, or the handy recorder, is not enough.
      You must give yourself the suggestion that you will remember your dreams
      when you wake up. I would not be too terribly concerned about recording
      unimportant dreams when you occasionally wake up in the middle of the night.
      Dreams are like plays. They go through several rehearsals then in the end
      give you a finished product. When a dream is important enough to write down
      from a middle of the night awakening, you will feel it in your bones and you
      will know to record it. Now, with notebook by the bed, (or recorder) you are
      ready for the next step.

      The Proper Way To Sleep...

      As with everything else in life, there is a right way and wrong way to go
      about sleeping in a manner that is productive in dream recall. Relaxation is
      a must. And following good, steady sleeping habits is also a must. There is
      a thing called "sleep debt" that occurs when you regularly do not get enough
      sleep. When you build up your sleep debt, you sleep so deep it is almost
      impossible to remember your dreams, so follow regular habits. Before you
      leap into bed, hell bent on remembering your dreams, take a moment and
      review these preliminary steps:

      Relax yourself completely. This can be done with nothing more then peace and
      quiet. If you choose, use your favorite relaxation tapes, or just some
      peaceful music. (pre-set to turn off)
      Pay attention to the main issues on your mind. As you start to go to sleep,
      pay attention to the main theme, or train of thought running through your
      mind. This will give you a clue as to what your dream may end up being based
      on. Also, by keeping your mind on what you want to dream about is a good way
      to dream about one particular issue. Don't over concentrate though, or it
      will keep you awake.
      Give yourself a suggestion to remember your dream. You must want to remember
      your dreams in order to do so. Giving yourself a suggestion is simple. Just
      keep in mind, and randomly bring to surface a little thought like "I will
      remember my dream". Don't just think the words like a child reciting "I will
      not write on the wall", but mean it, and feel the conviction.
      Plan on waking up slowly and peacefully. Being rocketed out of bed by a big
      dog landing in the middle of your chest and licking your face is NOT the
      stuff that dreams are made of! (I speak from experience) :) Try to wake up
      naturally. Regardless what anyone may have told you, it is a fact that adult
      human beings NEED a minimum of eight hours sleep in order to be fully
      rested. Some, in fact most really need more. Not getting enough sleep is the
      number one reason for not remembering your dreams! Don't overdo it either,
      or the reverse will be true. A good rule of thumb is you should wake up
      naturally without an alarm clock, and without someone (or something) waking
      you.
      Your health is very important! Take your vitamins, and chelated minerals
      every day! Eat a well balanced diet. Poor nutrition is also an extremely
      common cause for failure to recall dreams.
      Keeping those steps above in mind (and following them) will kick start you
      to remembering your dreams. These steps are the key to remembering your
      dreams, if you practice ALL the above, you WILL sooner or later start to
      remember them. (I am betting "sooner")

      Analyzing the dream: Basic Dream Themes...
      Identify the main "theme" or "concept" of the dream. Perhaps the most
      important thing about dream analysis, identifying the basic theme sets the
      tone for the interpretation. It is done like so: First, write down the dream
      (or record it). Look at the dream from a different perspective. Take away
      the details and look at it as a whole. Here is an example:

      You have a dream of a beautiful hall with shinny marble floors and
      incredible works of art on the walls. The pictures are framed in solid gold.
      There are flowers in the corner, and they are breathtaking. The ceiling is
      cathedral style, with graceful arches with ornate carvings. You get the
      distinct impression that you are alone, and in charge of it's upkeep. You
      here a faint scratching sound from the other end of the hall. You hurry down
      there and zero in on the sound. To your horror a mouse is chewing on the
      corner of a magnificent painting. You realize if you do nothing at all, the
      work will be rendered worthless and ugly. But you know if you catch the
      mouse you can save the painting since little to no damage has been done. You
      are uncertain you can get the mouse in time. You wake up feeling
      disappointed and remorse, as you do not want to see something so important
      to you destroyed.

      So here is the theme when you take away the details.
      Someone sees something precious being senselessly destroyed. There is a
      chance to put an end to it, if acted upon quickly.

      If you had this dream wouldn't it be much clearer with a theme? Creating a
      theme is very easy and usually only requires common sense.
      Lets do one more.

      The Dream:
      (From the Book of Genesis 40:09-11)In my dream, behold, a vine was before
      me; And in the vine were three branches: and it was as though it budded, and
      her blossoms shot forth; and the clusters thereof brought forth ripe grapes:
      And Pharaoh's cup was in my hand: and I took the grapes, and pressed them
      into Pharaoh's cup, and I gave the cup into Pharaoh's hand.

      The theme: Something good comes to fruition. This something is refined, and
      given away.

      As anyone who cares to look up this passage can see, the meaning was that
      the King would restore the Chief Butler to his former position in three
      days. A theme is NOT the whole interpretation, as you can see. But it does
      point you into the right direction. For instance, "something good comes to
      fruition "IE he gets his job back. This "something is refined, and given
      away" does not seem to fit, however we don't really know from the passage
      whether or not changes to his job were required, or if held his job long
      afterward. Add the symbolism that Joseph used, and you get 3 "day--3 vines"
      "pressing grapes into Pharaoh's cup--preparing to serve Pharaoh" "Giving the
      cup to Pharaoh--returning to the service of Pharaoh as he had in former
      years.". The symbolism Joseph used was very logical! Add to it a theme, and
      it fits perfectly! This was a tough example as this dream was a prophetic
      dream and they are rare. I only used this to show you two very important
      things;

      Themes help you find the big picture.
      Themes alone are too vague to be useful as a whole interpretation!
      TIP: The secret behind themes, are take away all the details, names, things
      places etc. and leave ONLY the action. As you can tell, that does give a
      great clue, but not the whole. So do not stop on your journey of dream
      discovery after you master dream "theme interping", as it will not be
      complete.

      Analyzing The Dream: Theme-to-life...

      Match the Theme or Concept to a specific area of your life.
      First off, MOST dreams are NOT prophetic. To instantly assume this, will
      lead to many mis-interpretations! Your dreams are usually selfish, meaning
      that they are about you specifically, a good 90 percent of the time. With
      that in mind, you should be able to tie in the theme to some particular area
      of your life. Here is a good tip: When you ask yourself, "What specific area
      of my life is this dream about? "as opposed to asking "What's this dream
      mean?" you will arrive at a conclusion faster. Always assume, at least to
      start off with, that the dream is about you, and a message to you. Since you
      made the theme, you should be able to place it into some aspect or condition
      present in your life. A real good sign that you thought up the right area of
      your life it is addressing, is when you get that "Ah HaH, THAT'S IT!"
      feeling. Sometimes, if it is a bad dream, the feeling is more like "oh no,
      that's it!". Either way, when the connection is made, you feel it and you
      know.

      If you were indeed correct on finding the theme, then finding the area of
      your life it fits into should come quite easily. How exactly though, do you
      go about matching the theme to an area of your life? If you had the first
      dream (the one about the hall above) and you decided that the theme was:
      Someone sees something precious being senselessly destroyed. There is a
      chance to put an end to it, if acted upon quickly.
      Ask yourself the following questions:
      What element in my life seems very precious to me? (search for the ah-hah
      feeling)
      Is there a possibility that it could be damaged or hurt in any way?
      Note that if you had that dream, found the element in your life that was
      precious to you, and you know it could be in danger, yet you do not see a
      solution, your mind does! Re-examine the situation and the solution might
      just reach out and grab you! If it were hopeless, the dream would have been
      different. Sometimes your sleeping mind can arrive at conclusions far better
      then our normal thinking processes. As you can tell, theming-to-life is best
      done through emotion. Only by examining your own emotions as you try to fit
      the theme into a given situation can you know you hit the mark. Our lives
      are sometimes so complicated that we many have so many things going on that
      could fit the theme, our emotions are our best clue to pin pointing the
      exact application. Emotions are a very good clue to the dream itself. Pay
      strict attention to "your emotional state" while in the dream. For example
      if you were happy through-out the "hall" dream, it would have a far
      different meaning then if you were sad!

      Analyzing the dream: Universal Symbols...
      You've developed good sleeping habits. Then you got on a regular schedule of
      taking your vitamins and chelated minerals. You learned how to relax, and
      you are dedicated to writing things down or recording them. Giving yourself
      the suggestion to remember your dreams, you are now doing so quite
      frequently. Themes come easily and you can fit them into your life
      accordingly. Are you done? Somehow you don't think so, as you seem to be
      missing a large part of the picture. The details. This is where symbols come
      in. Symbols in a dream, are actually the elements that make up the details.
      Even specific actions are sometimes symbols (such as falling). In the dream
      above about the hall, the pictures, ceiling, arches, paintings and even the
      mouse, are all dream symbols. All the little details mean something.
      Symbols, for the most part, are a very personal thing. Meaning that a "dream
      dictionary" may not necessarily have the correct definition to the symbol in
      your particular dream. Why? Because we associate meanings differently from
      one another at times. For example, I might associate a candle with pain,
      hardship and poverty if I spent enough time with no money living in the dark
      and lighting my home with a candle. But, I might associate a candle with
      God, if the only time I ever see one is in church! Two dramatically
      different definitions of the same thing. When you read a dream dictionary,
      it is usually not bogus, it merely gives the most "common" definition for
      that particular item. If you were unaffected at all by an item in your life,
      then the dream dictionary definition would most likely be valid. However,
      there are a certain amount of symbols that seem to always mean the same
      thing for people all the time. These you would do well to write down,
      memorize or at the very least, bear in mind while interpreting your own
      dreams. Why exactly these symbols are universal is a mystery to a certain
      extent, though I am sure there is a good reason.

      Animals

      They symbolize our own traits, good and bad. When you see an animal doing
      something in your dreams it usually represents a bad trait. As it is far
      easier for us to accept and watch an animal doing something negative then to
      take the credit for it ourselves. Here is a good example: A woman on a diet
      and really wants to loose weight but is prone to binge eating. She has tried
      and failed many times, but this time has resolve. That night in a moment of
      weakness, she eats a big slice of cake, and a bowl of ice cream. That night
      she dreams of being on a farm on a cloudy day, and watching in disgust as a
      big manure covered sow eats and sucks non-stop at her sloop. She is
      astonished and ashamed when she noticed what the sow was eating! (cake and
      ice cream). It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what that
      dream means, or what the animal symbolized! Her dream was telling her she
      would feel about as good about herself as she felt about the sow if she did
      not control her eating.

      Automobiles or vehicles
      Vehicles that you ride in usually reflect two things; the direction you are
      heading in life, and your body. (the thing you travel or "ride" through life
      in) This might vary if you are a mechanic or designer of vehicles. Unusually
      over exposure to a specific vehicle type may easily change the meaning. The
      condition of the vehicle might give you an idea of your health. Driving an
      old beat up car down a muddy road on a stormy night would be considered a
      pretty bad dream! However flying a Lear jet through blue skies with a song
      in your heart and the wind at your tail would be a rather good dream. :)

      Children
      A child represents to most of us, something new, different and joyous. Using
      this logic, it is easy to see why a child represents a new phase in your
      life or a new project as well. How well the child gets along and fares in
      the dream is an indication as to how well what it represents is doing. Also,
      a child symbolizes innocent parts of yourself sometimes, and at other times,
      immaturity and childishness. It all depends on the theme and emotions used
      in the dream.

      Clothing
      When you get into different moods you tend to choose different clothing, so
      clothing, for this reason best symbolizes your mood or state of mind. They
      also signify attitude. We wear clothing for all sorts of different reasons
      including, work, dating, play and social occasions. Attitudes and moods are
      similar to clothing in this regard, they are the camouflage we hide behind,
      our face we put on for the world in various situations so we can better
      cope. Take a look at what you, or other people in your dream are wearing to
      get even more clues to the dream's meaning. Also, a commonly overlooked clue
      is sometimes you see clothes on a clothes line, or lying around. It would be
      a good idea to take note as to what style and condition the clothes you see
      are.

      Death
      Nearly any dream you have that refers to death, dying or attending a
      funeral, or the like, pertain to change. Most all the time this change is
      very dramatic and major. It can be change in your life attitude or emotional
      balance. These types of dreams can also symbolize confronting fear, usually
      fear of death or change. Since most of use will agree that death is the
      ultimate change, and many people fear it. Death dreams are generally big
      changes and should never be ignored. Sometimes they really do signify death!
      Another possible symbol of a death dream is threat. Whichever suits the
      dream depends on how well the theme was arrived at. Most death dreams are
      about major change and not about literal death though, so don't panic if you
      have one. Just patiently go through the analysis process, and make sense of
      it.

      Buildings
      The building in a dream usually points directly to a specific area of your
      life. Dreaming of being in an office complex, or factory can pertain to your
      working environment. It does not need to specifically pertain to your exact
      line of work. In other words, an office worker dreaming of a loading dock
      still can relate the dock to work, because that's the association made in
      his mind. A bathroom, may pertain to your general health and hygiene habits,
      and a kitchen might be about your eating and nutrition. What you associate
      different locations to mean in general, usually points to what the dream was
      getting at specifically. To dream of your childhood house, tends to be a
      reflection of your life today though. A dream of mass chaos in your
      childhood home can indicate great disturbances in your life either now, or
      coming shortly. These kinds of dreams are often prophetic. You should always
      write down and deeply analyze dreams of your childhood dwelling. Dreams of
      great buildings like cathedrals and large churches usually indicate the
      dream has a great meaning, and should be taken seriously, as well as any
      applied association.

      People
      People most often portrayed in dreams are actually reflections of your own
      personality traits, provided the dream is not prophetic.These traits are
      ones that you need to enhance or develop, or if negative, work on
      eliminating or reducing. You should immediately ask of yourself, what traits
      do I like, and what traits do I dislike in the characters I dream about?
      Then look for those traits in yourself. You may be very surprised to find a
      match up! People in dreams work most commonly to reflect, or mirror
      important aspects of your personality. You do well to always make this
      association.

      IMPORTANT NOTE Dreams are very efficient. Meaning, they can address multiple
      issues on multiple topics all in one story line! A dream can warn you of
      health dangers, predict the future, point out personality flaws (or credits)
      and solve a current problem all in one dream! Some dreams are worthy of
      repeated analysis, and just because you can come up with two or three
      interpretations, does not mean that only one can be right, in fact they
      could all easily be right.

      Analyzing the Dream: Personal Symbols...

      All symbols in a dream create some sort of reaction in you. Look for the
      symbols that get the most reaction, they are usually keys. Since all symbols
      are not universal, in fact most aren't, before you pull out your dream
      dictionary, you need to decide if the symbol has a personal meaning or not.
      Here is an example: A knife might symbolize happiness to a woman who dropped
      the knife on her wedding day, and if was a big joke because it stuck handle
      up in the floor. This is associated with joy because it was humorous at the
      time and was a fond memory she shared with her husband. However, the next
      woman might cringe in fear over dreaming of a knife because she was attacked
      by a knife wielding thug in her teens. There are countless examples that
      could be given, but I think you get the picture. But how does one know what
      something means in a dream? How do we readily decode the symbols? There are
      several methods, lets explore:

      Association
      A traditional psychological method of looking at something and taking note
      of the first thing it reminds you of. After you think of something it
      reminds you of, do it again with the next association. Example I say "Cat",
      you associate "dog". Then I say "dog", and you associate "fire hydrant". I
      say "fire hydrant", you say "Fire". You see how this works? You have been
      lead in this example from cat, all the way to fire, two unrelated subjects!
      You can play this game with yourself with your dream symbols until something
      "clicks" and you get the ah-hah feeling.

      Amplification
      Instead of associating, you list what each symbol means to you. Different
      from the association method, amplification can sometimes work were
      association falls short. For instance, I dream of a candle, intstead of
      associating I make a list of what a candle means to me personally. Example:
      candle means happiness, love, romance, mysticism and light. Though it seems
      similar to association, it varies because you are approaching it from a
      different point of view.

      Symbol defining is very easy, and you know when you hit the mark by the
      ah-hah feeling. There is one factor you should also keep in mind, and that
      is the laziness factor. You must devote some time and thought to the
      analysis of your dream to get a clear picture. If you go about it in a half
      hearted way, you will get bad results and feel disappointed. If you relay
      solely on dream dictionaries to do your symbol defining you will have lost
      quite a bit of the meaning your dreams were trying to share. I am putting a
      dream dictionary online in the future, but it is only to be used when no
      personal symbolisms can be found. It is my hope that you will try to define
      as many of your own symbols as possible.

      Good luck, gal!
      Alissia