Another pug dream -- long

  • The ONE & ONLY Brandy B. Stark
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2000
      Hey, how is everyone doing? Man, I have not been dreaming much lately,
      then I started to remember bits of dreams, but this AM i had a full dream
      which I thought I'd share with you all.

      This list has been pretty quiet as of late, so I am not sure who all is
      still out there!

      For a bit of background: this week I found out my pug Iliad has a big
      bladder stone thath as to be removed. The surgery is about $600, plus
      another $200 for pre-treatment and post op care. I am a grad. student.
      This is a LOT of money. I had also just recently noted that after 5 years
      I was within $250 of a financial goal I had set for myself. After this
      goal would have been met (in about three or four months) I would have
      started to pay off the sum of debt -- which I have been working on and
      have gotten down but not totally paid off -- on my credit card. All of my
      goals would have been met at that point. Now, with the pug, I am going
      the WRONG way financially -- bacwkards another $800. I work part-time and
      have been basically getting my degrees along the way. I was run off the
      road in December and the other driver did not stop -- even with insurance
      I have $500 to pay on my car (another additional expense). I have had to
      work hard to save up that
      money, too -- a different goal from the $250 I had mentioned earlier. SO,
      news of Iliad having to get a surgery was hard, I worry about any surgery
      with my pugs, and the news of the cost of surgery was also very hard.

      In the meantime, Mom and I, in that typical adult child - parent
      relationship have had our ups and downs. She has been very very testy as
      of late -- especially having broken up with her fiance in late Jan (yeah,
      as you can see it's bee a bit tough lately. There have been some good
      things that have happened to both of us, but the bad things really stand
      out....). She goes through periods of being very cranky and then being
      very nice. (Much like I do....just in normal life! Maybe she is also one
      of those artistic types???) My own moods have been a bit off lately with
      the above going on.... but it was her turn to be cranky this time --she
      was very snappy with me when I balked (though I
      fully intend to have the surgery done for Iliad, but I gotta say I know
      the vet is good but I think he is outrageously epensive....!) at the cost
      of the surgery....

      Also, for purposes of the dream, I had my first pug, named Odie, when I
      was a teenager and young adult. She died about 4 years ago in Oct. It
      was a quick end in some respects, though a year before her death her
      immune system became barely functional so I sorta knew the end was not too
      far away. Though I have grown up with pugs all my life, Odie was the
      first one that was MINE in both name and in function. SHe prefered me
      over Mom, I paid her bills, and we were tightly bonded. I also inherited
      her from my grandmother's estate when Odie was about 1 or 2 years old.
      She had a lot of health problems since she was bred in a puppy mill -- bad
      skin, pancreas problems, went blind, low immune system, eye ulcers, but in
      the end it was a liver infection that did her in. It was a very hard loss
      for me. Over the summer 1999 (July 4th weekend, in fact) Ivan, my
      mother's
      elder pug, died. He was one of those pugs that also takes one from
      pre-adolescence to young adulthood -- he and Odie were best friends for a
      long time before she died. I picked him out as a puppy, though he was
      really attahed to Mom through out his life, I also helped to raise him.
      It was one of the first pugs I had worked with from puppy to elder dog.
      It was another hard loss -- He was going on 13 or 14, I think. A long
      time to get attached!

      At present I have two pugs, Iliad (female, awn) and Odyssey, black, male)
      Both are around the same age and these are my first puppies owned from 6
      weeks on to adult hood, my bills, my babies, my little loves. (I adore
      them. They are both pretty spoiled as far as pugs go!) Mom has two pugs
      -- Crescent and Dovey, so we are both active in the pug realm. Not
      breeders, just pet owners.

      SO, now, onto the
      dream.

      Mom and I lived in the townhouse of my youth -- but we were our current
      ages, with our current pugs. Ivan and Odie had both died in "real time"
      -- Odie four years, Ivan goig on one year, as in real
      life, but unlike real life, we had their unpresserved bodies displayed in
      our china cabnet! Both looked like they were more or less sleeping and
      the tightly enclosed environment seemed to help keep them preserved well.
      In this dream, however, I Had taken note that Odie's body looked like it
      had mild decomposition -- some of the skin on her upper lip was white
      (Odie was a black pug) indicating some of the hair and skin there were
      wearing away. It would be been very very very early decomposition --
      otherwise she seemed OK. Anyway, I remember as I made this note to myself
      that Odie and Ivan both got up and curled a different way to go back to
      sleep. If you watch dogs sleep, they get up on occassion and switch
      positions...I remember being shocked but I am not sure if that was totally
      unexpected. What WAS unexpected is that both Odie and Ivan started to act
      as if they were alive. They did things unrelated to being asleep -- such
      as Odie raising her head to look me in the eyes, ears up, tail curled. I
      was then horrified. These pugs were supposed to be dead....yet, they
      acted as if they were alive! Yet, Odie still had that white area on her
      lip showing where the first signs of decomposition had begun! I went to
      get Mom, crying -- she told me not to worry about it. I went back to the
      pugs, opened the door and stuck my hand in at Odie. She licked my hand. I
      started sobbing harder. I went back to MOm and told her -- pulled her out
      to look at the pugs. I knew I was confused as tow aht to do....I was both
      hopefuol that they were "back" yet horrified because they were dead and I
      did not understand what was going on. MOm still was unconvinced and
      unconerned until, I think, either she knocked on the wood cabinet or
      someone knocked on the door. Both Ivan and Odie, much like Iliad and
      Odyssey, got up and started running around inside the cabinet -- barking
      at the noise and at each other, even getting excited enough to the pont of
      rough housing with one another. Not even Mom knew what to do at tht
      point. I guess the difference was that on occassion they may have moved
      to get into a better position for sleep, but for them to be conscious,
      active, and this alert indicted something else -- life? Or reanimation?
      We both stood there confused, though Mom was still being rather curt and
      tight in her replies, I stood there just crying.....

      This dream seemed to last a while...it is condensed in writing because
      muchof the time I spent observing the pugs and crying!

      I know that maybe 6 months ago, hortly after Ivan had died, I dreamed that
      Mom and I had his stiff body back -- it was standing up -- and we were
      going to bury it. I had dug a grave in red clay (not native to Florida!)
      and had put Ivan in it. It was night time, but in the gloom I saw him
      move. I showed Mom. Ivan started to rock back and forth -- we stood
      there. I was again both horrified and delighted -- he was dead, but was
      he coming back? We he reanimated? As in this dream, I dont't hink the
      heart was beting, etc....but the bodies were not hampered by riger
      mortis! Anyway, he eventually came back to full animation, jumping around
      and wanting to be picked up. He acted like a puppy! Much like Odie and
      Ivan did in this dream (their behaviour mimicking that of my present
      pugs).

      Any ideas to what this means??

      Pax et longa vita --

      Brandy, Mistress of All She Surveys
      And now for something Pithy:

      "Psychoneuroimmuniology"

      Thank you.
    • The ONE & ONLY Brandy B. Stark
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2000
        > For purposes of the dream, I had my first pug, named Odie, when I
        > was a teenager and young adult. She died about 4 years ago in Oct.
        > It was a very very hard loss for me. Over the summer 1999 (July 4th
        weekend, in fact) Ivan, my
        > mother's
        > elder pug, died. He was one of those pugs that also takes one from
        > pre-adolescence to young adulthood -- he and Odie were best friends for a
        > long time before she died.
        >
        > At present I have two pugs, Iliad (female, fawn) who is ill and going to
        undego surgery Monday morning to remove a bladder stone. My other pug is
        Odyssey, (black, male) -- these are my current BABIES! Spoiled to the
        core!

      • The ONE & ONLY Brandy B. Stark
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 29, 2000
          try it gain.