RE: [outsider_chronicles] Re: September Update

  • Mike Holmes
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 13, 2005
      Really only one comment from the last post...

      >From: "blckthorn" <keith@...>

      >A Prime
      >character would be capable of making singular major branches in the
      >tree of time, even without any kewl powers. They could also attract
      >the attention of powers they would rather not tangle with.

      Hmm. Reminds me a tad of the effects that celestials have on "the Symphony"
      in In Nomine. There were extensive rules for this in the game, but they were
      useless. It would give you the distance in yards that another celestial
      could be away from you and hear a change you made to the Symphony, but what
      it really didn't ever say was how likely anyone was to be in that range.

      So, make sure if you do this, that there's a chance with every Prime
      character cannon boom that somebody hears it and comes, and that you have
      rules for resolving who. Don't force the GM to make up the entire conflict
      on the spot just because the rules need a balancing mechanic. :-)

      Mike
    • Keith W. Sears
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13, 2005
        <<So, make sure if you do this, that there's a chance with every Prime
        character cannon boom that somebody hears it and comes, and that you have
        rules for resolving who. Don't force the GM to make up the entire conflict
        on the spot just because the rules need a balancing mechanic. :-)>>

        Oh no.. I definitely wouldnt' do that. I'm too much in love with being able to tell a good story to force something like that. Besides, I am just throwing out ideas at this stage. Not all of them is going to stick. If I did stick with the idea that it might get the attention of someone temporailly sensitive, it doesn't mean that they are going to attack, and any encounter may not be immediate. In fact, it may be best that characters with Prime may be more vulnerable to karmic backlash every that they use their abilities. That way, the GM would be able to extract his pound of flesh at a time of his choosing.

        Speaking of mechanics, I have finally settled on two possible randomization mechanics for Luna. The first method could use either dice or cards, but I sincerely believe that it would work better with cards. The second method would use black and white stones. I know both methods will work, but I'm not certain which is going to provide a better game. I will post both of these methods in the next couple of days with what I consider to be the pros and cons of both methods.

        ~Keith