Summer Programs

  • micheleiw
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2009
      Greetings.
      We are thinking of offering a week-long summer program from Monday-Thursday night, possibly 6-9 PM for all ages. Our focus is to teach Jesus Christ through the mysteries of the Rosary.

      I am wondering if those who have had successful programs in the summer: what brought people out? kept them coming back? engaged their hearts/heads/hands? Anything you would do differently?

      For those who have made the effort but were not as successful: what did you figure out did not work and what were the reasons?

      We would appreciate any input as we are planning.

      Blessings.

      Michele

      St. Joachim Church
      Hayward, CA
    • Tom Rinkoski
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2009
        Thursday 14 May 2009

        Greetings from Gainesville,

        I have had to axe my summer programming this year due to extreme budget cuts, and I miss them immensely.  We are a campus ministry parish with a small group of families who are permanent members.

        For the past couple summers I experimented with once a month intergenerational gatherings which we have primarily done on Sunday mornings.  I believe what made them desirable to attend as well as popular with the kids were the following:
        * The Sunday just after morning Mass time was popular with parents (10:30 am - 11:30 am).  Easy to plug into.  Didn't demand extra effort.
        * Doing them once a month during the summer months was not to demanding a commitment.
        * I offered morning treats:  orange juice, fruit pieces that were cut to be finger food, coffee and some breafast type rolls
        * The time segment was almost too short.  Our events were held between the mornign Masses.  This gave us about 1 hour for programming.  But it was sweet timing because parents could bring children either after the earlier Mass or just before the later mornign Mass.
        * I had to do these events with a minimum of staffing (basically just me).  So that directly affects my planning.  However, the blessing of intergenerational work, is once families are together you automatically have built in staff!!!!!
        * Budget was usually $75 - $150.00 per event, not counting staff time.
        * You need to remain open to attendance patterns.  I could never quite be assured how many people would be at any given session, so I had to be ready in terms of food and suppplies.
        * It was intergenerational - parents and kids got to participate together.   Older siblings were welcome.  If aunts or uncles were in town they were welcome as well.  No drop offs allowed.
        * The intergeneration programming was fun and engaging.  We emphasized summer themes - seeing God on vacation, on the beach, at play.  Each intergenerational event had aspects of prayer, community building, and some faith formation lesson.  I wrote all these programs myself so as to be responsive to area themes and events, i.e Art Show, etc..
        * I would always have something the families could "take home."   Usually they are small items from Oriental Trading Company or something like that which were incoporated into the theme.  The parents informed me that the discussions at home continue longer when the kids brought something home. One year it was just a moving box that we used (building and breaking down walls); our last session it was a pair of sunglasses which tied into our theme.  Some of these items and ideas are gleaned from reviewing VBS programming.  We did one with beach balls which we used to collect signatures and prayers.  That was fun!
        * Leading these type of events calls for a different set of leadership skills due to the nature of bring so many diverse needs in one space.  The events tend to be loud and somewhat boisterous, and the faciltiator must be willing to "go with the flow."   When I taught intergenerational leadership I used to name this planned pandemonium.  As scary as it may sound, I love it!
        * I promoted all these in church bulletin, but primarily in my monthly e-mails to all parents in the parish (I regularly e-mail all parents in parish montlhy with news and other parenting tips).  Now I am building a Faith formation Facebook Account as well.  One year I tried to have them consistently on the second Sunday a month, but I found that made no difference in the commitment or attendance in the program.
        One time, we tried to plan a summer pilgrimage with families to a regional area shrine, but couldn't get enough commitment to make it happen.  I beleive the cost and full day commitment turned people off.

        I am desparetly seekign funding to make these happen again.  They were well received and popular.

        Hope this helps.

        in the smiles and stories of Jesus,

        Tom Rinkoski, Director
        Family Faith Formation & Youth Ministry
        St. Augustine Parish & Student Center

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , May 14, 2009
          One piece of advice: Feed them and they will come!  Start with supper - free or at least available for purchase. Most parents are running from work to home to whatever!

          Another piece of advice: Senior Citizen usually do not like to drive after dark. In the summer it should still be daylight. You might consider offering a daytime session Seniors, Moms with small children..maybe some time like 9-12 and finish with lunch or 8:30-11:30. Even Seniors need their nap time.

          Evelyn in St. Louis

          Evelyn P. Tucker

        • sradrienneb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14, 2009
            Good Suggestions Evelyn,

            I find all you say to be true - I never have even a small meeting
            without refreshments.

            Mom's and seniors like a 10:00 A.M. to 1 or 1:30 P.M. Lunch included.
            Don't worry about too many refreshments - they wrap them in napkins and take
            them home.

            Hope all is well!

            Adrienne Bradley, SSJ
            Teaneck, NJ