Re: First Communion Curriculum

  • mylestogo32950
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7 8:49 AM
      Like Nancy, I am using Loyola Press' God's Gift. However, the pastor
      and I are trying to bring about whole community catechesis slowly and
      he wanted to do it through the families. So we have the grade 2
      families (yes, mom, dad, siblings, whoever can attend) come to
      sessions on designated THursday evenings-6pm-7:30pm-and I lead them
      in the catechesis from the God's Gift program. We have a wonderful
      time, we get the family involved, and the adults are being catechized
      in the process. I am blessed that at least one priest attends each
      session. Note: I work at a parish lead by the Congregation of the
      Sacred Hearts of JEsus and Mary-Blessed Damien's order).
      The work is much, the preparation takes time, but the ctaechists for
      grade 2 attend to help out and I ask young people (usually 1 or two
      older siblings attend) to assist.
      I am really pleased that it is working out. I look forward to next
      year when I can do more. [These sessions include the school grade 2].
      One of the benefits from these evenings is parents actually asking to
      come back to the Church and receive sacraments they missed. We also
      have children being brought forward to be baptized that are now in
      grade 4 or 6 or whatever. It is wonderful!
      Thank you to Loyola PRess for a wonderful flexible Sacramental PRep
      program.
      Mylestogo
    • joe_paprocki
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 11 12:56 PM
        What a great idea described by Mylestogo! It makes so much sense to
        involve the parents in the First Communion preparation. After all, the
        children are being initiated into what the adults are doing, so it makes
        sense to enrich the adults' understanding of the Eucharist. Personally,
        I feel that too often, First Communions are way too unlike any other
        communion that the kids will receive in their lives. First Communion
        then becomes an event rather than initiation into a way of life. When
        this event-mentality takes over, First Commuion becomes a pageant in
        which the children perform and the adults become spectators. By
        involving the parents and families in the preparation, Mylestogo and the
        pastor are ensuring that the adults are the ones preparing to welcome
        the children into something that they (the parents) are themselves
        doing. Kudos and thanks to Mylestogo and your pastor!

        Joe Paprocki

        --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, "mylestogo32950" <mylestogo32950@...>