Re: [dre-talk] Teaching Prayer to Children/ Youth

  • EVELYN TUCKER
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
      Christi,

      Yes, I, too, would like to know what hands-on methods you used.

      Evelyn in St. Louis

      Evelyn P. Tucker

      From: EVELYN TUCKER <ept1942@yahoo. com>
      To: dre-talk@yahoogroup s.com
      Date: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 1:54 PM

      Kevin,

      What was the cost?  Where do the trained catechists come from? Locals?  What materials, etc.?  Time frame?

      Evelyn in St. Louis

      Evelyn P. Tucker

      From: micheleiw <Micheleiw@aol. com>
      Subject: [dre-talk] Teaching Prayer to Children/ Youth
      To: dre-talk@yahoogroup s.com
      Date: Thursday, November 6, 2008, 7:11 PM

      Greetings!
      I am preparing to do a workshop on prayer--teaching adults to lead
      prayer with children and youth. I am wondering what DRE-talkers have
      found helpful--resources, experiences, processes used, etc.

      What do you do for your catechists to assist the to move beyond
      teaching prayers to teaching to pray?

      Anything that worked well or not so well...

      Thank you so much in advance.

      Blessings.

      Michele Idiart Walsh
      St. Joachim Church
      Hayward, CA

    • sradrienneb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
        Me too,

        Thanks
        Sr. Adrienne
        **************Finally, one site has it all: your friends, your email, your
        favorite sites. Try the NEW AOL.com.
        (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000006)

      • Kevin Cody
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
          Evelyn,

          Since Partners in Prayer is a pilot program, there was no fee.  I know of several DRE's in the local Chicago area who are trained facilitators for the program.  Since Loyola is located in Chicago, that may have been a factor in their participation.  The workshop was 2 hours, including a half hour welcome/gathering.  For more information, including who to contact for more information, I copied the following from Christian Newswire:

          CHICAGO, Oct.7 /Christian Newswire/ -- It's one thing to produce products about prayer, but quite another to teach people how to pray. Partners in Prayer, a new service of Loyola Press, was created to teach adults and children how to experience a close relationship with God through prayer.
          This hands-on, practical workshop for catechetical leaders offers highly creative and proven ways of engaging children in reflective prayer and provides ready-to-use approaches to bringing deeper meaning to praying traditional Catholic prayers.
          The workshop, conducted by Loyola Press's trained facilitators, gives leaders the practical skills, resources, and confidence they need to help children find God, know God, and love God through the power of prayer.
           "The strength of Partners in Prayer is that it truly helps adults and children build a deep relationship with God, because when people know how to talk with God, it's easy for them to walk with God."
          For more information on Partners in Prayer, please contact Kathy Suzuki at 773-529-5690 or Suzuki@...

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2008
            Kevin,

            Thanks for the info!  I am going to try to get our day school and evening school principals to meet with me over lunch to plan a coordinated next year's activities.
            Blessed Advent to you and yours!
            Evelyn

            Evelyn P. Tucker

          • Bosmom522@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 2, 2008
              Hello to all you wonderful dre-talkers.? I need a little help please.? My creative juices are drained and I am in need of a prayer service for a meeting of fellow catechetical leaders on Thursday.? Our pastor will give a talk on either the year of the?bible in our archdiocese or a talk about the letters of Paul.??
              I would like a prayer service to bring a feeling of calmness and de-stressing.? We have been thrown out or our comfort zone with hurricane Ike and have had to?cancel a number of our meetings.??
              We hope some one can help with a short opening prayer service.? Our blessings are many, and we certainly consider dre-talk as one of our most used blessings.? Thanks to any and all that might be able to help.
              Peace,
              Cyndy and Josie
              Notre Dame Catholic Church
              Houston, Texas?

            • Kevin Cody
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 2, 2008
                Cyndie & Josie,

                I offer the following prayer service that combines the year of Paul with the season of Advent, and your place of waiting:

                On your prayer table, open the Bible to 1Corinthians 16:13-14

                Leader:  When we look at Advent as a time of waiting, we certainly began Advent early this year!  Ike has caused many of our plans to be put on hold, including this meeting; our whole lives seemingly put on hold; We are waiting like never before.  At this time of year, we await the feast of Christmas when we will celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.  Advent has always been a a time to look at waiting in an entirely different way.  We can truly enter this season like we never have before, and allow it calm our anxieties and our fears by looking at our waiting as being present and open to how Jesus is among us right now: in our encounters with others, in our daily tasks, in our teaching, in our enjoyment of a beautiful day, in our prayer, in our worship, and so on.

                This

                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 2, 2008
                    My e-mail was sent before I finished....so, I'll try again.
                    On your prayer table, open the Bible to 1Corinthians 16:13-14

                    Leader:  When we look at Advent as a time of waiting, we certainly began Advent early this year!  Ike has caused many of our plans to be put on hold, including this meeting; our whole lives seemingly put on hold; We are waiting like never before.  At this time of year, we await the feast of Christmas when we will celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.  Advent has always been a a time to look at waiting in an entirely different way.  We can truly enter this season like we never have before, and allow it calm our anxieties and our fears by looking at our waiting as being present and open to how Jesus is among us right now: in our encounters with others, in our daily tasks, in our teaching, in our enjoyment of a beautiful day, in our prayer, in our worship, and so on.

                    This kind of waiting is like opening our eyes to what already is and being alert to God's every epiphany.  Let us pray for this gift of waiting.

                    All: Give us the gift of waiting, loving God.  Help us to keep alert, to stand firm in our faith, to be courageous and strong.  Let all that we do be done in love.

                    Reader One: Help us to see your presence in every catechist and parent we talk to, and love and respect each one as a unique and treasured person.

                    All: Give us the gift of waiting, loving God. Help us to keep alert, to stand firm in our faith, to be courageous and strong.  Let all that we do be done in love.

                    Reader Two: Help us seek out quiet time this Advent, time when we can peacefully place ourselves in your hands and hold out to you the families we serve.

                    All: Give us the gift of waiting, loving God. Help us to keep alert, to stand firm in our faith, to be courageous and strong.  Let all that we do be done in love.

                    Leader: Help us to be mindful of your presence, this Advent and always, that we might be your witnesses to everyone we meet, and especially to those we work with and minister to.

                    All: Give us the gift of waiting, loving God. Help us to keep alert, to stand firm in our faith, to be courageous and strong.  Let all that we do be done in love.

                    Leader:  O loving God, during this time of waiting...
                    Replace the tension within me

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 2, 2008
                      This time I noticed that the e-mail was sent after I hit the tab key.� This time I finished composing the prayer service in Word and pasted it below:

[...]

                      Replace the tension within us
                      ����������� With a holy relaxation.
                      Replace the turbulence within us
                      ����������� With a sacred calm.
                      Replace the anxiety within us
                      ����������� With a quiet confidence.
                      Replace the fear in us
                      ����������� With a strong faith.
                      Replace any bitterness within us
                      ����������� With the sweetness of your grace.
                      Replace the darkness within us
                      ����������� With a gentle light.
                      Replace the coldness with us
                      ����������� With a loving warmth.
                      Replace the night within us
                      ����������� With your day.
                      Replace the winter within us
                      ����������� With your Spring.

                      All: Straighten our many wanderings in our waiting,
                      Fill our emptiness.
                      Light within us the fire of your love,
                      Let us see ourselves as you see us.

                      Leader:� Be with us now and always, loving God, and please bless and watch over those devastated by Ike.� We ask this in Jesus� name.

                      All: Amen.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 2, 2008
                        Kevin,

                        Thanks for the neat Advent Prayer Service.

                        Evelyn

                        Evelyn P. Tucker