Re: [dre-talk] Homeschool

  • Susan Gravely
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      At our parish we have a religious ed. coordinator who works with around 30 families who wish to home school due to activity conflicts. We use the Faith First Family Guide that goes with their textbooks and can be used with multiple grade levels. We do not let families home school 2nd, 7th or 8th Graders due to sacraments and content. The coordinator developed question sheets (one question per chapter for all grades and has put together an assigned theme for each week based on the Family Guide and the seasonal topics. Families meet around once every 6 weeks. Children go to grade level discussion groups led by adult volunteers and they use the question sheets as a springboard for discussion as well as collect them for a way to keep them accountable. Adults meet at the same time in a separate room to talk about their experiences teaching their children, share holiday traditions, watch and discuss meaningful videos and plan outreach activities for interested families. They meet between the masses on Sundays, so they can attend and still not miss mass. This meets the need for accountability, includes some association with peers and helps parents feel supported. If you want further information, you can email my coordinator at diengerfamily@...

      Susan Gravely