Re: [dre-talk] RCIA

  • Donna Francisco
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
      Greetings ~

      We have a group of adults and children being Baptized sometime this Summer.  Has anyone worked with the rites outside of Lent?  I am especially thinking of the Scrutinies.

      Thank-you ~
      Donna

    • Lisa Eberhardt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2008
        I volunteered in an RCIA program a few years back. We did RCIA during
        the usual time of the year (with initiation at the Easter Vigil), but we
        missed some of the Scrutinies due to Spring Break. So we just did them
        in our RCIA sessions. We had a priest coming every week, so it wasn't a
        big deal to ask him to lead the rite.

        Lisa

        + + +

        Lisa Eberhardt Sharp

        Associate Director of Catechist Formation

        Office of Religious Education

        Archdiocese of Atlanta

        office: 404-885-7239

        fax: 404-885-7473

        email: leberhardt@...

        web: http://www.archatl.com/offices/reled/

      • Dan1schwie@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2008
          Classes that we do on weekends and weekday evenings have at least a 1/3 absence regularly.? And that is after the "drop out" which is about 15% yearly.? We are a lower income parish.? Families move a lot, transportation is a difficult issue, and then the usual sickness, dad didn't come from work on time, mom or dad had to take the car for work on Sunday, child was with the other parent across town this weekend, etc.?

          As commented on by Mary and the others, we also have a worksheet that the student is expected to complete each week at the end of class and study at home with a family activity ideas on the back. Much more can often be done in 15 minutes by the parent at home than in a class with 15 or 20 students if the parent will take the time.? Normally we don't send books home but we do keep older damaged books for those who need a book to make up back work.? Each student is expected to keep a folder - it often gets lost -first communion children then need to redo all the missed work if the teacher doesn't have a record of the returned work.? Both in the area of the make up work and the folder, much depends on the organizational ability and carry through of the catechist.? Where there is above average zeal, the results are good.? As often happens those who volunteer are up to their necks in other volunteer work as well their regular work and family work!? Of course, one has more leverage with first communion and confirmation students and their families. So that helps to keep the overall average up to the 60%.? Our students we teach at the public schools do better.? If they are in school, they are in class after school. After the usual drop out, attendance is close to 90%.? The challenge is getting them from home to church......

          Even with a lower attendance than years ago, at least the students are there 2 out of 3 classes.? The more serious issue is the percentage drop in overall participation in parish formation programs and Catholic school student enrollment.? If there is no attendance, then there is little to no formation and as far as I can tell often little recognition that God exists in many of these families except on the rare occasion that these parents show up with the children at a liturgical function for another family member - baptism, funeral, wedding, or first communion - which is not too often. New students, even if 12 or 15 years old, often don't even know how to make the sign of the cross...at least with words and sign together.? We are finding a large increase in the number of older children coming for baptism after 8 years old.? Close to 20% of the first communion children are children who are in the baptism prep at the same time.? Our Catholic schools now only teach about 12% of our Catholic students versus 50% in 1965.?

          My sense over the past 25 to 30 years is as Tom's that attendance for those enrolled is down.? Statistically we know that overall attendance in all faith formation programs, including mass participation (from about 75% in 1965 to maybe 40% today), are down.? That is the "elephant" in the living room that most of the USA church has ignored or not been able to find ministerial ways to address in the last 25 years.

          Thank you for sharing your concern about how well we are doing with those who are there.? As commented in last weeks point about "forcing" attendance.... its not really possible to force folks to church in a free society.? For too long the Catholic leadership (us included) have treated Catholics with the sense of "entitlement" (you are ours, therefore you must come because we are entitled to you!) rather than invitation, witness, and zeal of evangelization.

          Dan