Generations of Faith

  • MACIOS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      We are a parish of about 2200 families; 500 in our rel ed program w/700 children grades PreK-10th.? We're looking at Generations of Faith which catechizes the whole family but have a number of questions.? Right now, we are working
      with the traditional model of faith formation where our youth come out 15 times
      a year for about two hours a session.? Included in that time frame we offer
      family days which are very similar to the theory behind GOF.? The
      difference is that we only focus on one particular grade level.? Therefore,
      if a family has three children in three separate grades then they need to come
      to three different family days.? This isn't a bad thing, but we like the
      idea of the family coming together as they do in GOF. We also offer Catechesis of the
      Good Shepherd for 3-9 year olds. This
      program is very well received and we don't want to give it up.? As a matter
      of fact we would love to see it grow, but the training for the catechists is
      time-consuming and costly.? But that's another issue. If any of you are using/have used/have considered GOF, I'd be very grateful for your feedback.? Some questions that come to mind are:

      Can you provide me with some
      information/insight as to how long you've been doing GOF?? How many
      families do you have involved?? What was your program like before you
      adopted GOF?? How was the transition into this new program?? Was it
      well received?? Did you lose any families?? How do you hold families
      accountable for attending?? How do your work out the logistics of space?
      How many times a month do you offer a program??? Is it hard to pull
      families together for three hours and how do you keep the attention of the
      little ones?? What about babies?? Do you offer babysitting?

      Grace & peace,
      Linda

    • Margo Morin
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 26, 2008
        Hi Linda,
        Sorry it's taken so long to respond- these are great questions. It
        sounds like you have a great foundation already which I think, if you
        choose to go whole-hog, will help greatly with the transition!

        Can you provide me with some information/insight as to how long
        you've been doing GOF?? This is the fourth year our parish is doing
        GOF.

        How many families do you have involved?? /How many times a month do
        you offer a program??? You know, I'm not sure- we do 8 -9 sessions a
        year, each one is presented twice- Friday evenings and Sunday
        afternoons. We get about 250 people each.

        What was your program like before you adopted GOF?? We did (actually
        I wasn't part of the parish then... but they did) traditional CCD,
        weekly classroom style sessions, kids only. No formal adult faith
        formation programming.

        How was the transition into this new program?? It was hard work! The
        staff wore themselves out and it was hard to sell the new way of
        doing things to the parish, who were securely in the CCD "rut". The
        whole staff became the faith formation team for the parish, inlcuding
        the pastor, parochial vicar, and music director. They designed and
        implemented everything. They worked hard to prepare the parish, do
        great PR, and do a lot of teaching about the change way before they
        changed over. They did away with CCD completely and went fully to GOF.

        Was it well received?? Did you lose any families?? Well... it took
        some doing. Some people thought it was GREAT. Some thought it was
        completely ridiculous. Some people left and went to parishes to find
        the "old fashioned" type of CCD. Now we are seeing that many new
        families are joining us from other parishes- they've heard about how
        GOF works and think it sounds great! So, it's turning out to be an
        even swap... :)

        How do you hold families accountable for attending?? We DON'T, and
        it's sooooo nice!!! We do take attendance at the tables but it's more
        for our own information, not to hole anyone accountable. The way I
        think of it, it's not our responsibility to get families to religious
        ed- it's their responsibility. Our responsibility is to offer great
        RE programming. And we know that people have a lifetime, so if
        they're not coming this year, maybe they'll come next year- we're no
        longer feeling the pressure of cramming in all RE before Confirmation
        day.

        How do your work out the logistics of space? It's tough, now that
        we're growing! When gatherings get too big, generally, I think
        parishes add another gathering so that the numbers will even out.

        Is it hard to pull families together for three hours and how do you
        keep the attention of the little ones?? It's not hard. We generally
        run about 2.5 hours, after years of adjusting and hearing that 3
        hours was too long/late for kids. We have activities for all ages and
        work hard to design openings/closings/prayers that will hold
        everyone's attention.

        What about babies?? Do you offer babysitting? We don't have too many
        babies- some come with their parents and stay with the, no sweat.

        There's lots more I can tell you about the process if you want to
        email or call me directly: 781-324-4941 x23 pf@...

        Hope that was helpful!

        -Margo

      • lemonpie1420
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 27, 2008
          Hi Linda,
          We are in our 5th year of Generations of Faith, and it has quickly
          become "the way it's always been done." Initially, we lost a few
          families, but have picked up many more in subsequent years. We are
          much smaller than you...a parish of about 600 households. We offer
          9-10 sessions per year (Thursday nights and Sunday after morning Mass)
          and get about 110-140 people per month. Most of the families with kids
          attend regularly. I take attendance every month, but we don't make a
          big deal out of it. Like Margo said, they have a whole lifetime to
          learn! Before Generations we offered weekly CCD -- about 26 seesions
          per year -- and a couple "family days" per year, which people enjoyed.
          One question -- Do you have a large enough space to feed all these
          folks? With all those children, plus families...and other
          parishioners...wow! One thing I can attest to, our younger children
          LOVE Generations. They come in and sneak back to the area where we
          have their breakout session to see what we will be doing. 2.5 hours
          seems like a long time, but the time flies in this fast-paced
          environment. The parish is much more "connected" now too. We work
          really hard to make our sessions engaging...and after 5 years, it's
          still a work in progress. Good luck...it's really FUN! If you want to
          talk, you can call our office at 330 743-1109. We're in Youngstown, OH.

          Carla