family movie nights

  • haggerty83
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2007
      I am thinking of a family movie night in Advent (combining school and
      rel. ed. students and their parents). Any suggestions on a movie?
      Logistics? I was thinking of the new "Nativity" - is it too long for
      1st and 2nd graders? Do you run into any problems with younger kids
      getting bored and disrupting movie for older kids? Any other
      suggestions or ideas are welcome.
    • Lorraine C
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17, 2007
        We do movie nights throughout the year, but by grade level.

        The new "Nativity Story" was a beautiful movie and done very well, but I doubt young children would be entertained by it. There are so many animated, MUCH shorter Advent/Christmas movies for children. For grades 1 to 3, we don't show anything over 30 minutes, that's all they can sit through!

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17, 2007
          We do a Saturday Night Movie at the parish on a monthly basis.? Usually a religious theme.? I'm surprised that folks come with all the movies that can be?seen at home, other places, etc?and there you set your own tone without the things you don't like.? However, I think some like the "festival" atmosphere, the social, etc.?For our single seniors it is a nice evening out after Saturday mass without the need to drive out of the neighborhood.? We showed the Nativity.? I sat with a father and his 6 and 7 year old spirited sons.? They did fine with the movie.? The atmosphere was a large cafeteria, with a large screen and projector with lots of sound.? So these two could talk to us and others, get their food, go where and when they wanted and they were happy.? The older adult didn't seem to mind at all.? Of course we show subtitles to help those who may have some hearing problems - or noise issues.

          I've also showed shorter films for the younger ones in another room with activities in?between when we did the movie Chocolate.

          Give it a try is my advice.? Who come will enjoy it and all seem to get something from the event... we usually have a 95 old great grandma, her daughter, and in between ages.? But this is not a required event and?a "crowd' is when we pass 20.? I always think of Jesus and feel a little jealous with his 5,000 but then that was the exception!?The disciples would be happy with our movie night... feeding out crowd costs very little.? We offer the hot dogs and have a pot luck snacks and refreshments.? And we always have left overs.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 19, 2007
            Wednesday 19 September 2007

            Greetings from Gainesville..

            I have been using movies in education for a long time. I love it. Movies have the power to catalyze conversation, focus energies, and stir the pot when reaching for matters of the heart. I urge folk to experiment with movies with good educational practice.

            Now there are lots of excellent books and resources out on using movies in classroom situations. Read thoroughly. Here are some basic principles I offer:

            1. Do not use only overtly "religious" films. A lot of them are poorly made and badly conceived and will quickly turn off an audience instead of get them engaged. Use slips from contemporary films that point in the direction you wish. For instance, if you are seeking a discussion on Christmas themes, use the most recent TV version of the Best Christmas Pagaent Ever.

            2. Check and double check your equipment. Moderns are used to seeing feature films in quality manner. If you can't show a film to a contemporary audience with some good equipment please don't do it. The viewing experience is as important as the media you are using. Have extra bulbs, cords, and other pieces of equipment. Prepare for every malfunction possible.

            3. Do not ever plan to show an entire film. I push using clips. In the breaks I insert activities designed to engage the audience and catalyze discussion. We are a church after all not a movie theater. Movies just happen to be the #1 way of storytelling in America, so tap into it - Jesus did!

            4. Even though you are tempted to go with classics, avoid, especially if you are working with children. Capra's It's a Wonderful Life is a terrific film, but not what I would show to children or teens. Choose the contemporary tale The Polar Express, or there are plenty of clips from the Santa Claus series that could work as well. Don't get me wrong. I love the classics (my personal favorite film of all time is Casablanca), but the US audience is - as last week's scripture said - a stiff necked people when it comes to their films. Luckily we are a sacramental people and should be brazen and unafraid of engaging with this form of sacramental grace!

            5. Learn from Starbucks and Borders and make the setting relaxing and inviting. If you are inviting people to enter the world of film and storytelling, do you best to soften the space between their butt and reality with some atmosphere in the place. Serve popcorn. It is the quintessential movie food!

            Have fun with this. I endorse using film strongly. People respond strongly. This year, I will be doing a Bible Study of Genesis using the film Evan Almighty with my middle Schoolers. I wrote an entire Marriage Prep program using clips from films. In High School Confirmation, i find the best way to engage them in morality discussions is to show moral conundrums on film and work toward solutions. Now, in fact I am focusing on using commercials, because in some way they are the ultimate storytellers in our TV saturated world. There is amazing power in the medium and we are fools to ignore or try to fight it.

            there should be more training sessions on effective use of media in the classroom. It is not just an add-on used to make a point, but a teaching tool on which to base a curriculum.

            from a netflix fan...

            in the smiles and stories of Jesus,

            Tom Rinkoski, Director
            Family Faith Formation & Youth Ministry
            St. Augustine Parish & Student Center
            Gainesville, FL

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2007
                Thursday 20 September 2007

                Lillian,

                You ask about films I used in marriage education.

                At the time I wrote the marriage prep program (please remember this was almost 10 years ago - I think) I used clips from Forget Paris (Billy Crystal 1995), BiCentennial Man (Robin Williams, 1999), and Don Juan DeMarco (Johnny Depp, 1995). As well as some clips from training videos. Other programs used other clips. I served as the Diocesan Director of Family Life at the time.

                I have taught classes on use of film in marriage and parenting education at Smart Marriages Conferences. I have published two collections of film clips to use. If you are interested, write me at my e-mail address - tomrinkoski@...

                in the smiles and stories of Jesus,

                Tom Rinkoski, Director
                Family Faith Formation & Youth Ministry
                St. Augustine Parish & Student Center

                I am thinking of a family movie night in Advent (combining school and
                rel. ed. students and their parents). Any suggestions on a movie?
                Logistics? I was thinking of the new "Nativity" - is it too long for
                1st and 2nd graders? Do you run into any problems with younger kids
                getting bored and disrupting movie for older kids? Any other
                suggestions or ideas are welcome.

                Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink. yahoo.com/ gmrs/yahoo_ panel_invite. asp?a=7

              • homefaith333
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 21, 2007
                  Oh, I'm so glad to see this thread come up on my "digest" message for
                  this group. I'd love to do this, too, but am wondering how you
                  veterans manage "clips only." Granted, it's easier nowadays if you
                  have a DVD and can go straight to a scene. But if you're showing lots
                  o' clips do you just have a stack of DVDs and very detailed notes that
                  have you jumping from disc to disc?

                  I'm also wondering about the tech "how to" piece on this, by the way,
                  for clips I may show in a kids' class. Wanted to show parts of "Inside
                  the Vatcian" to Grade 3 kids, for instance, as part kickoff to them
                  starting their year of leaning about the Church as
                  One/Catholic/Holy/Apostolic, but winced to see that famous painting of
                  St Sebastian right off the bat, looking like a pincushion, and
                  wondering if that was really necessary. Another, more for a kid/family
                  film fest than a class, is a film called "Millions" about a boy and
                  his brother who discover a duffel bag full of money (which is from a
                  heist, turns out) and make choices about it, whether to spend it on
                  themselves (older bro) or give it to the poor (younger bro); anyway,
                  there's a very brief glimpse of nudity or near nudity that I think I'd
                  be wise to "edit" out if I could.

                  BTW, some of my favorite films that I think would be good for
                  viewing/discussion in such a setting are: Defending Your Life,
                  Babette's Feast (DVD lets you dub English, if needed!), and The
                  Mission. Appreciate knowing any others that folks here might recommend
                  for a "film fest." I really like two from recent years that I think
                  say loads about family forgiveness -- "The Family Stone" and "Little
                  Miss Sunshine" -- but I don't know if I could get away showing those
                  in a parish setting, unless they were clips. Thanks!

                  --- In dre-talk@yahoogroups.com, Tom Rinkoski <tomrinkoski@...> wrote:

                  > Thursday 20 September 2007
                  >
                  > Lillian,
                  >
                  > You ask about films I used in marriage education.
                  >
                  > At the time I wrote the marriage prep program (please remember this
                  was almost 10 years ago - I think) I used clips from Forget Paris
                  (Billy Crystal 1995), BiCentennial Man (Robin Williams, 1999), and Don
                  Juan DeMarco (Johnny Depp, 1995). As well as some clips from training
                  videos. Other programs used other clips. I served as the Diocesan
                  Director of Family Life at the time.

                  > I have taught classes on use of film in marriage and parenting
                  education at Smart Marriages Conferences. I have published two
                  collections of film clips to use. If you are interested, write me at
                  my e-mail address - tomrinkoski@...

                  > in the smiles and stories of Jesus,
                  >
                  > Tom Rinkoski, Director
                  > Family Faith Formation & Youth Ministry
                  > St. Augustine Parish & Student Center

                • Jeannine Grady
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 21, 2007
                    Some favorites of mine are "About A Boy" for emphasizing community, and "Stranger Than Fiction" for a glimpse at the God-Man relationship. (Or at least one perspective of it.) Others will come to mind, I'm sure as soon as I hit the "send" button!

                    Jeannine Grady
                    St. Mary, Marshalltown, IA