Catechists gifts

  • wdsland6255
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 14, 2007
      It's that time of the year to recruit Catechists. Does anyone have any
      ideas as to giving a small gift to each Catechhist as they begin their
      ministry? I have given prayer cards, note books with the ribbon
      attachment that says: Take note how special you are, anyone have any
      other suggestions?
      Donna/ Michigan
    • Pat Solenski
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
        Hi,

        I have recognized catechist with canvas tote bags for them to use in bringing their items to class. One year ordered them with a stamped inspirational statement. But another year I purchased them from a craft store and puffy painted the name of the parish on them

        Several catechist used them for years. I feel we can never adequately recognize their gift of time and talent here on earth. So I really let it up to God. haha

        Pat

        wdsland6255 <wdsland6255@...> wrote:
        It's that time of the year to recruit Catechists. Does anyone have any
        ideas as to giving a small gift to each Catechhist as they begin their
        ministry? I have given prayer cards, note books with the ribbon
        attachment that says: Take note how special you are, anyone have any
        other suggestions?
        Donna/ Michigan

      • Barbara Prata

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
            Donna, really the greatest gifts I have given (and received) in
            catechetical ministry are two "things": formation and community.

            Any gift you give if they are related to formation or community will
            be most appreciated and most fruitful. A gift can be a simple
            journal with a quote on each page from scripture (depending of the
            number of catechists you can get blank journals from the dollar store
            and depending on your time you can handwrite a quote from scripture
            on each page or print quotes on labels and stick them in) to
            encourage their spiritual journey.

            Formation and community gifts can also be opportunities (provide care
            if the catechists have children) a beautiful invitation to a speaker
            (the invitation can say "with thanks for your gift of service your
            presence is requested at..." or invitation to a luncheon. I have had
            many parents sign up to host luncheons or brunches for catechists, we
            have given formal invitations presented with a flower candle, or
            small religious item. These short gatherings have helped our
            catechists get to know each other and grow in community. One parent
            was responsible for the set up, linens, decorations, dishes, etc.
            Another few were servers; others made the food that was served, etc.
            Children prepared cards/bookmarks or a couple of posters one year
            expressing their thanks for the catechists saying "Yes" to this
            ministry. This helped our catechists know that their answer to the
            call to serve was appreciated not just by the coordinator or pastor,
            but by the people of God.

            I hope you enjoy your new year and that you, the pastor, the
            catechists, and your entire community will grow in love and service.
            Peace, Koreen
          • Lorraine C
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
              Hi!

              I use www.ctainc.com for alot of purchases for the catechists and the kids! They have nice quality items and won't break your budget.

              I just ordered a gift set, (pen and bookmark) that says, "Thank you for serving with a heart like Jesus!" at $1.99 to give out on Catechetical Sunday. Even comes in a thin clear plastic box and gold stretchie bow! Once you order, they'll send catalogues that come every so often with their seasonal items...they have some nice stuff and your orders come in a timely manner...check it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

              Lorraine Cortina, DRE
              Sts. Philip & James, St. James, NY

            • Marianne
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 16, 2007
                We received a "key" to open the Bible on a christian lanyard. I still have mine hanging on my rear view mirror. Very nice.