Re: [dre-talk] Priestly formation

  • scsbaglynn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi Folks,

      I'd like to weigh in on the topic of priestly formation. Tom's suggestion
      that priests-to-be spend an internship of 3 to 6 months in a parish religious
      education program under the direct supervision of the DRE is one of the best
      ideas I've heard in a long time on this topic. Only when a person has a
      "hands on" experience over time can he/she grasp just what a program of faith
      formation entails. Gaining exposure to all facets of the various components of a
      parish program, i.e. general heritage classes, parent prep sessions,
      catechist formation, student sacramental prep, catch-up catechesis, adult faith
      formation, RCIA , personnel relationships, etc. will go a long way toward helping
      that future priest understand just exactly how wide ranging and involved a
      parish faith formation program is and the breadth of a Parish Catechetical
      Leader's responsibilities. It can only help ease the tension that often exists
      because a priest, pastor or not, lacks sufficient knowledge of the
      catechetical, administrative and personnel principles needed to have an effective
      program.
      If we think this kind of internship is a valid idea, let's begin to lobby on
      all levels. Who knows, maybe the Spirit is just waiting for us to give Her
      a push in the right direction !!!

      Barbara A. Glynn
      Director of Faith Formation
      St. Catherine of Siena Parish